PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2010, 09:11 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

sirtronics is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How do I use tp2 in Isreal

I want to take my TPs with me to Isreal.
The phone is unlocked ( I can load roms)
Do I have to unlock the Sim or can I just put a different Sim into the phone?
If I unlock it what does that actually do for me?
Old 03-23-2010, 09:57 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: lg optimus

dishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: How do I use tp2 in Isreal

Just put an Orange or Cellcom SIM in there and you'll be good to go. Its already unlocked for those bands.

Unlocking the SIM will only help you connect to US bands (T-mo, ATT) which are blocked by default for obvious reasons (gsm part is for WORLD use, not switching networks!).

I actually sold a TP2 to someone in Israel recently. Works a treat, he says.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Htc Evo 4G

agrenwa is keeping up the good workagrenwa is keeping up the good work
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/5.0.16823/1076; U; en) Presto/2.4.15)

Will data work with orange or cellcom sim cards as well ?
Old 03-23-2010, 10:32 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

jerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Suggest you call also the stock Sprint International people. You can can get roaming with data for about $2.50 a day and then use mobile Skype... search on this. They have to send you a SIM card, but that is free. You can use voice in emergencies at their retail price. There is no cost for missed calls- then call-back via Skype... numbers show up.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:10 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC TOUCH PRO 2
Carrier: VODAFONE NZ

bestfan is a n00b

if isreal runs GSM network, you just insert GSM SIM card in the socket, if isreal runs CDMA network, you have to write number into cellphone, because the socket only support GSM SIM card
Old 03-24-2010, 12:24 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: lg optimus

dishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryyyyy View Post
Suggest you call also the stock Sprint International people. You can can get roaming with data for about $2.50 a day and then use mobile Skype... search on this. They have to send you a SIM card, but that is free. You can use voice in emergencies at their retail price. There is no cost for missed calls- then call-back via Skype... numbers show up.
That's an interesting idea.
But something worth noting is that I'm fairly certain all GSM carriers in Israel offer free incoming calls. If you purchase a prepaid SIM, you could talk all you want as long as people are calling YOU. If you want to call back, it might cost less than 2.50 a day. But- you wouldn't have data this way. Prepaid data is pretty pricey. Thankfully, most of Jerusalem has free WiFi (Ben Yehuda, even parts of the old city).
I went to visit for a week last year, and found myself able to get and respond to email over WiFi (just make sure to keep GSM data off) in most public places, and the rest of the time people could call me (or I could SMS someone to call me back- sms is cheap per message as well).

But enough about *HOW* to use it there, the OP's question was if it will work. Yes, it will. Nothing further is required.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:01 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Threadstarter

sirtronics is a n00b

Yes I just spoke to Sprint.
Options are pay them $2.49 per minute
or $4.99 for the month of international calls and it drops to $1.99 per minute
Data:
$40 for their world wide data plan (unlimited data)
they WILL Prorate these plans.
Lastly because I have unlimited SMS on my lines (everything data 1500) they said sms to and from is included Free.
Really not bad.

I am thinking unlimited data plan plus Skype unlimited calls to USA $3.99.
so about $25 for 2 weeks.

Last edited by sirtronics; 03-24-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:12 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

jerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishe View Post
But something worth noting is that I'm fairly certain all GSM carriers in Israel offer free incoming calls. If you purchase a prepaid SIM, you could talk all you want as long as people are calling YOU. If you want to call back, it might cost less than 2.50 a day. But- you wouldn't have data this way. Prepaid data is pretty pricey. Thankfully, most of Jerusalem has free WiFi (Ben Yehuda, even parts of the old city).
I went to visit for a week last year, and found myself able to get and respond to email over WiFi (just make sure to keep GSM data off) in most public places, and the rest of the time people could call me (or I could SMS someone to call me back- sms is cheap per message as well).

But enough about *HOW* to use it there, the OP's question was if it will work. Yes, it will. Nothing further is required.
Please keep up the information here. I hope at some point we will get a sticky on International issues as the different countries are spread all around this site. What I noticed about the Sprint system was that they must have contracts with all the GSM carriers since in France it used multiple carriers all with the better signals, so I always had a good connection. At least we can search on the various carriers and countries.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:22 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: touch pro 2/treo pro/mogul
Carrier: sprint

miketab is keeping up the good workmiketab is keeping up the good workmiketab is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtronics View Post
Yes I just spoke to Sprint.
Options are pay them $2.49 per minute
or $4.99 for the month of international calls and it drops to $1.99 per minute
Data:
$40 for their world wide data plan (unlimited data)
they WILL Prorate these plans.
Lastly because I have unlimited SMS on my lines (everything data 1500) they said sms to and from is included Free.
Really not bad.

I am thinking unlimited data plan plus Skype unlimited calls to USA $3.99.
so about $25 for 2 weeks.
your info is not all true there are some holes, sms would be free but it will not go through, so no sms in israel on sprint.

also since israel is a cdma country phone calls 1.99 with plan and data is also cheaper about $2 a Mb. this is only if you stick to the regular cdma netwrok and not use your sprint sim card. also note on cdma you will only get 1X and not evdo and using sprint gsm you will only get gprs, so the skype thing may not work properly.

Voice Pricing: $2.49/minute
Special Voice Pricing: $1.99/min. with plan
Data Pricing: $0.016/KB
Special Data Pricing: 1x/Ev Data: $0.002/KB

special is refering to cdma netwrok which is all over israel.

so if you not using too much data or have a free data on your line or cheap data, it may not be worth messing with it for unlimited data, if your using little data or less than 10 mb for two weeks.

now if your getting a local sim card you may be better off.

i personally use a prepaid local 3g sim card from orange which is about $40 or so (including the cost of the sim card0 and gives me about 80 minutes of local and 100mb of free data for the first month, with 3G coverage(UTMS). You get a local number that is yours forever. to buy more minutes you can do so from the phone with * or # number. really simple and easy to use. there are also other deals out there, this is the one i used.

it also comes out that any sprint phone can roam in israel not just the international ones with sim cards. the same would apply with verizon.

Last edited by miketab; 03-24-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:50 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: touch pro 2/treo pro/mogul
Carrier: sprint

miketab is keeping up the good workmiketab is keeping up the good workmiketab is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishe View Post

yes with local sim you get unlimited incoming even if you used all your prepaid minutes credits. Also as I explained above there is prepaid real 3G data!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2