PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2010, 01:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: sprint

linzgeneral is keeping up the good worklinzgeneral is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TP2-The last Great Windows phone

I am starting to notice that we might possess in our hands pehaps the last great Windows phone avaialabe. I am well aware that most are looking forward to Windows 7, as I was, but after becoming aware of the potential myriad of limitations assciated with Windows 7, I think I am going over to Android as I don't care for an Iphone substitute OS. They are getting rid of the very things that made Windows unique, practical, well appreciated, and in my mind superior albeit without well documented drawbacks.

I recently played with an HD2 which is realy amazing but I could see one huge problem - lack of a key board. I know the imense size of the HD's screen is supposed to make this a non-isue but to me the real issue lies in the capacitive screen. I think I might be the only person on the planet who prefers a resistive screen to a capacitive. I see absolutely no difference in overall perferformance between the two. What I do notice is that I have a million times more accuracy and pinpoint precision with a resistive screen. versus a capacitive. This was my only gripe with the HD2, and pehaps a dealbreaker, as it literally took me about five minutes to type in Espn.com on the HD2; would have been less than five seconds on a resistant screen. We are talking about 7 total letters and a period.

That being said, this has made me appreciate the TP2 even more. I can fly through short sentences and texts with a few speedy and accurate bangs on the onscreen keyboard. due to the precision of tip of my nails against the resistive screen. If needs be, I can bang out lengthy paragraphs on the physical keyboard for inproved speed and accuracy. I recently had to think long and hard as to whether the TP2 came with a stylus, I never use it since I grew my right thumbnail a little longer; works perfectly. I can go in between the letters in a words and nvaigate tight spots on web pages with incredible and satifying efficiency.

I dont use my laptop nearly as much now as I use my TP2 instead, especially in bed, to surf the web and do research; screen size and Opera mini makes it a very realistic experience. I am the type who switch out every 6 months for the next best thing, always selling the current phone to help in financing the next. This is going to change however as though I will get the Supersonic, I prefer the HD2 but will not swith to T-Mobile, I will keep my TP2 as this embodies the best that Windows has to offer before their Iphone transformation as well as the best form factor that HTC has to offer in the smallest package. Just my 1 cent(half of two) and half rant over the direction that Windows which I personally believe to bethe most useful and complete OS, is going.

P.S. - I also hate that we propably wont be seeing any more resistive screens on future super devices...sob....
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:26 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Galaxy S4 and Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint(03/09-Now), T-Mobile(06/06-now)

pesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuff
Re: TP2-The last Great Windows phone

agreed, love tp2 and love resistive's screen accuracy.

When you can tether for free?: D
Old 03-21-2010, 03:07 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

tt C6 is keeping up the good worktt C6 is keeping up the good work

You have typed EXACTLY everything I have to say.
(Even the right thumb nail.)

RIP Windows Mobile.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:40 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Airave
Carrier: Sprint SERO

Edwood is becoming a PPCGeeks regularEdwood is becoming a PPCGeeks regularEdwood is becoming a PPCGeeks regularEdwood is becoming a PPCGeeks regularEdwood is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Definitely, the Touch Pro 2 is definitely the last best WinMo phone. Best overall balance of battery life, performance, and reliability.

With the bone headed iPhone copying moves by M$ and WinPho7, I'll probably just buy another new Touch Pro 2 as a back up. The chefs here and XDA will have something cooked up better in the future anyways.

Microsoft has always been about Choice. You can choose to do whatever you want. You could create the most streamlined, finely tuned performance piece. Or a completely messed up, bloated, and unstable piece of crap. The choice was yours.

Apple has always been about conformity and lack of choice. Do it our way, only one way, and you will be one of us and happy. Lack of choice was considered a "feature".

Microsoft, please remember your roots and stop just trying to directly copy Apple. Because if you do just copy Apple, people will just buy an Apple product.

-Ed

Last edited by Edwood; 03-21-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:45 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I agree with almost everything said in the original post. This is definitely the last great Windows Mobile phone, and I can't even consider the HD2 because it doesn't have a keyboard.

However, capacitive screens have a significant advantage over resitive that you forgot about- multitouch. So you can, for example, play a game that has a virtual joystick and virtual buttons on the screen. Or you can do the pinch to zoom stuff.

Other than that though, you're right, I haven't taken my stylus out in months. Windows Mobile 6.5 and SPB Mobile Shell pretty much eliminates the need for a stylus altogether.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:56 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: iPhone 6 Plus Space Gray 128GB Jailbroken

piscesjoey knows their stuffpiscesjoey knows their stuffpiscesjoey knows their stuffpiscesjoey knows their stuffpiscesjoey knows their stuffpiscesjoey knows their stuffpiscesjoey knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to piscesjoey Send a message via Yahoo to piscesjoey Send a message via Skype™ to piscesjoey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
I agree with almost everything said in the original post. This is definitely the last great Windows Mobile phone, and I can't even consider the HD2 because it doesn't have a keyboard.

However, capacitive screens have a significant advantage over resitive that you forgot about- multitouch. So you can, for example, play a game that has a virtual joystick and virtual buttons on the screen. Or you can do the pinch to zoom stuff.

Other than that though, you're right, I haven't taken my stylus out in months. Windows Mobile 6.5 and SPB Mobile Shell pretty much eliminates the need for a stylus altogether.
I was about to say the same thing too about the advantages of a capacitive screen. Gaming rocks on it man, and yeah it isn't as pinpoint accurate as resistive screens, but it still gets the job done. Overall it just feels better and I feel more in control on a capacitive screen.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:23 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
I take my stylus out sometimes out of habit lol

But yes, windows mobile will die a slow and painful death ...after which microsoft mobile division >.>

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 03-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: iPhone 6 Plus Space Gray 128GB Jailbroken

piscesjoey knows their stuffpiscesjoey knows their stuffpiscesjoey knows their stuffpiscesjoey knows their stuffpiscesjoey knows their stuffpiscesjoey knows their stuffpiscesjoey knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to piscesjoey Send a message via Yahoo to piscesjoey Send a message via Skype™ to piscesjoey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
I take my stylus out sometimes out of habit lol

But yes, windows mobile will die a slow and painful death ...after which microsoft mobile division >.>
LOL I still use my stylus too, especially for Total Commander and when navigating the registry
Old 03-21-2010, 05:36 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Dimomand

foxnews is keeping up the good workfoxnews is keeping up the good workfoxnews is keeping up the good work

I was so excited about WM7 last year and can't wait for it to be released this year.

but I think I lost that exitement to android. Apple has close controlled system with ease of use while Android is free and open. I don't know what MS can offer to be different and better than the competition. WM7 is not free and they has no control of Hardware to integrate smoothly with software. now MS has to catch up with apps. I don't want to wait for these catch-up while google/apple already had these apps.

The market is now between Apple vs Google. Supersonic is what I have in mind now. go watch one of the youtube video on Nexus one with speech-to-text feature, then you are sold.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2