PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 08:05 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint and orange

matyana is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TP2 with Sprint - need info!

Dear All
As a first time HTC user, I dont hold guud hands on this luxury!
And thats the reason I am gonna ask a very basic sorta questions, so that i can start playing with it.
Actually i bought it on Ebay from a US seller (and i am in UK). And I asume it was used under CDMA technology. But now I am using with Orange netwrok under GSM or through Sim.
The problem i face are:
1)I can't access the "Sprint Navigation", it says connection error while my interent works perfectly.
2)I tried to install WM6.5 ...that was some Global Version.... but it failed....and now with WM6.1.....then i seen a post somewhere, saying i need upgrade from the original network company....! Anyways i went on SPRINT's website....but it says i need to Login into my account..... which i cant....coz Account is already registered by original seller and i do not hold any information on that!

WHat should i do? and where can i start? i know little bit about flashing coz i have done this with my Sony Ericsson phone. But i want little help to start with.

Many Thanks in Advance
regards
Old 02-11-2010, 08:12 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Re: TP2 with Sprint - need info!

You won't be able to connect to the Sprint navigation program as it is a Sprint network proprietary program. In other words... You have to be a Sprint customer and have a plan that includes Sprint Nav or pay for it beyond your plan. Nonetheless, you aren't a Sprint customer.
You can do a search here on this forum for GPS alternatives. In the meantime you can go to the settings tab click on customize tabs and uncheck Sprint Navigation. That way you don't feel taunted. lol
I hope this helps.
p.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:13 PM
the World Watcher
Pocket PC: LG Optimus
Carrier: Sprint

strra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to strra

Quote:
Originally Posted by matyana View Post
1)I can't access the "Sprint Navigation", it says connection error while my interent works perfectly.
sprint nav requires a monthly plan. i suggest using a free nav app like amAze.
Quote:
2)I tried to install WM6.5 ...that was some Global Version.... but it failed....and now with WM6.1.....then i seen a post somewhere, saying i need upgrade from the original network company....! Anyways i went on SPRINT's website....but it says i need to Login into my account..... which i cant....coz Account is already registered by original seller and i do not hold any information on that!
if you're trying to install the GSM global 6.5 rom, you're lucky it failed because it'll brick your phone.
Unlock your phone then install a custom rom from here. there is no official 6.5 update for sprint phones yet.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Treo 700wx > Treo 800w > HTC Touch Pro 2 > HTC EVO

crazie.eddie is just getting started

I agree about the Sprint Nav, you need to be on Sprint network. Since you're in UK, you won't be able to use. There are many other alternatives, such as Google Maps and Bing, which are free. But they require data access to download maps. I use Garmin on my phone and have no issues with it. I haven't tried Tomtom yet, but as you can see from the previous post, they recommend it as well. Both Garmin and Tomtom require locally install maps on your device (SD card), which will not require data network.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:17 PM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 3

Mojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on rep

+1 on what Strra said regarding the ROM. you have to remember that the phone you bought is cdma and if you're trying to upgrade to 6.5, you need the one made for a cdma device. have you tried the 6.5 from HTC's website? dont think it would matter if you get the 6.5 cdma update from them since you dont need to be worried about having to use any of sprint's apps.

Never argue with a stupid person. First, they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!
Old 02-11-2010, 11:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G (Supersonic)

modembug is keeping up the good workmodembug is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to modembug Send a message via MSN to modembug Send a message via Yahoo to modembug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojary View Post
+1 on what Strra said regarding the ROM. you have to remember that the phone you bought is cdma and if you're trying to upgrade to 6.5, you need the one made for a cdma device. have you tried the 6.5 from HTC's website? dont think it would matter if you get the 6.5 cdma update from them since you dont need to be worried about having to use any of sprint's apps.

Unfortunately the HTC UK rom will not install on this device as it is a US device. (i tried one night while bored.)

To get your phone working correctly you need to first SIM unlock the phone so that you can use another company's sim card in it. (it's currently locked to Sprint SIM card.)

1. To accomplish this you need to get HardSPL installed on the phone which can be grabbed from: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=93252.
2. Then you need to get the Radio Unlocker from here: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=93865 (read the thread for installing the correct radio patch for Sprint phones.)
3. Then you need to install a ROM other than the nasty sprint on you have on there! :P (i would try http://mightyrom.com)

Hope this helps!

Cheers!
Old 02-11-2010, 11:40 PM
the World Watcher
Pocket PC: LG Optimus

strra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to strra

Quote:
Originally Posted by modembug View Post
Unfortunately the HTC UK rom will not install on this device as it is a US device. (i tried one night while bored.)

To get your phone working correctly you need to first SIM unlock the phone so that you can use another company's sim card in it. (it's currently locked to Sprint SIM card.)

1. To accomplish this you need to get HardSPL installed on the phone which can be grabbed from: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=93252.
2. Then you need to get the Radio Unlocker from here: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=93865 (read the thread for installing the correct radio patch for Sprint phones.)
3. Then you need to install a ROM other than the nasty sprint on you have on there! :P (i would try http://mightyrom.com)

Hope this helps!

Cheers!
he doesn't need the sim unlock since he's using it outside the US. the sim unlock is required for US sims only
Old 02-12-2010, 12:05 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G (Supersonic)

modembug is keeping up the good workmodembug is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to modembug Send a message via MSN to modembug Send a message via Yahoo to modembug

Quote:
Originally Posted by strra View Post
he doesn't need the sim unlock since he's using it outside the US. the sim unlock is required for US sims only

ha good call! Sorry my head is buried in the sand tonight! Nix the part about SIM unlocking it!
Old 02-12-2010, 08:39 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint and orange
Threadstarter

matyana is a n00b

I am surprised and glad to see this much great input from all of you guyz.... help appriciated.

Just a summary of all posts and to conclude the next steps to follow:
1st) as agreed already - yes all UK Sim card works on it!
2ndly) Now should i unlock radio first
3rdly) & then i need to flash ROM????? and upgrade it to 6.5????

And also confirm when we say flashing.....do we flash it with a lower WM version or straight with WM6.5 ??? And also which one should i chose CDMA one or GSM one?

Please clarify above!

Many thanks in advance
Old 02-12-2010, 08:58 PM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 3

Mojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
I am surprised and glad to see this much great input from all of you guyz.... help appriciated.

Just a summary of all posts and to conclude the next steps to follow:
1st) as agreed already - yes all UK Sim card works on it!
2ndly) Now should i unlock radio first
3rdly) & then i need to flash ROM????? and upgrade it to 6.5????

And also confirm when we say flashing.....do we flash it with a lower WM version or straight with WM6.5 ??? And also which one should i chose CDMA one or GSM one?

Please clarify above!

Many thanks in advance
steps 2 & 3 in that order. that is if you want to run one of the many custom ROMs available for your bentley of all phones (at least IMO it holds that title as of right now). but if all you are after is using your tp2 with your SIM, all you need to do is pop in your sim, change network selection to gsm and voila!...you are set to use and surf the net on your phone with your 3g sim (of course with the necessary data plan from your carrier).

and almost all custom ROMs puts your phone up and running on 6.5, at least not lower than 6.1. as stated before...your phone is cdma. so always flash a cdma rom. never a gsm cuz you'll brick your phone...unless you are looking to own a beautiful and expensive paper weight to look at on your desk. let us know how it works out for you ok?

Last edited by Mojary; 02-12-2010 at 09:04 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2