PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2010, 08:59 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC EVO (but no 4G yet!)
Carrier: Sprint

shappy0869 is keeping up the good workshappy0869 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
6.1 --> 6.5 Should I?

Currently running a stock ROM but I did add the GoodThings2Life changes, and I also run SPB MS3.5. Since Sense 2.5 will not be of any use to me, is there any other real reason to switch to 6.5? Is it more stable/faster?

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2010, 09:27 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Page Plus Cellular

WBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: 6.1 --> 6.5 Should I?

Not trying to discourage you with this and I don't know of this matters to you or if you already know it but it has been reported that a lot of nice Reg changes that did stick with 6.1 will not with 6.5

Basically it has a system to restore changes so you can still change them but they will reset to what they were upon a restart.

Again I don't know if you care about this and there may be more work arounds for this now but this was a reason for me when I tried a while back that I went back to 6.1

Just thought you would like to know.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:31 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBFAir View Post
Not trying to discourage you with this and I don't know of this matters to you or if you already know it but it has been reported that a lot of nice Reg changes that did stick with 6.1 will not with 6.5

Basically it has a system to restore changes so you can still change them but they will reset to what they were upon a restart.

Again I don't know if you care about this and there may be more work arounds for this now but this was a reason for me when I tried a while back that I went back to 6.1

Just thought you would like to know.
That would certainly be an issue for me, as I do like to perform registry tweaks, including tethering, which is a big feature for me.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:38 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

Taishou is a n00b

Have you tried running any of the custom ROMs? I was running Stock Sprint 6.1 for about a month and a half, and I ended up using the Silence ROM back in jan. I'm much happier with my phone now. Just have to remember to flash it back to the Sprint ROM if sending it in for repair
Old 03-19-2010, 09:43 AM
Regular 'Geeker

WBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shappy0869 View Post
That would certainly be an issue for me, as I do like to perform registry tweaks, including tethering, which is a big feature for me.
Yeah I have quite a few myself with the biggest being the complete data connection turn off which was just one setting from 1 to 0

Again, it would work and be off, but then when I restarted it would go back to 1 which means on and nothing I could do would stop it.

A lot of people reported a lot of changes still sticking so I guess it depends on the change but there is a part and I forget the name, to 6.5, that restores certain changes.

After I restored 6.1 I spent several days researching a solution though and thought I may have found it as it does seem to be a certain little bit of programing that may be able to be turned off, but I wasn't going to go through all the trouble of a swap again to test, but thats kinda why I said, there may be a work around now.

Last edited by WBFAir; 03-19-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:45 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taishou View Post
Have you tried running any of the custom ROMs? I was running Stock Sprint 6.1 for about a month and a half, and I ended up using the Silence ROM back in jan. I'm much happier with my phone now. Just have to remember to flash it back to the Sprint ROM if sending it in for repair
I have pretty much avoided flashing a custom ROM at this point. I need my basic core functionality working for me (namely, my work Exchange e-mail, contacts, calender, etc) and while I am sure that there are plenty of happy users with custom ROMs, I see thread after thread on here started by people with custom ROMs with this problem and that problem.

While the stock ROM has some bloat, I am very happy with Mobile Shell 3.5, especially with the MSkip mods and things mostly work. Soft resets are few and far between, and reliability is acceptable.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:45 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taishou View Post
Just to mention it for me that I found this out via trying a MightMikes ROM and it did it there for me. I also tried posting the question to his main thread about this and got no responses.

Kinda got the feeling that it was once of those, we all know this so well were not even going to bother with a response, why don't you go back 150 pages and read about it.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:48 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Optimus V
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

aldamon is becoming a PPCGeeks regularaldamon is becoming a PPCGeeks regularaldamon is becoming a PPCGeeks regularaldamon is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I don't like 6.5 but I haven't tried the official Sprint ROM yet. I use either 6.1 or a custom ROM with 6.5.5. After using custom ROMs for a while, it's amazing how fast the original 6.1 Sprint ROM is with Manila turned off.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2