PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2010, 01:38 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Ph33zy is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Possible fix for S.O.D.

I've been plagued with the S.O.D. lately and I've noticed it has been independent of ROMs or radios. Essentially, what happens is my Manila.exe would go up to 100% and lock my TP2 up when my TP2 goes to sleep.

I've been able to revive my device occasionally by pulling my stylus or by pulling my memory card. Every time my TP2 wakes up, Manila would be frozen and Windows would attempt to close Manila and restart it.

I believe the high CPU usage is caused by the number of emails I have sitting in my Outlook. I use my TP2 for work, school, and personal mail and set my Outlook to store a month's worth of email on my device for all 3 accounts. I believe the large amount of emails in my inbox causes Manila.exe to use 100% CPU whenever Outlook checks for new mail and ultimately locks up my device whenever it went to sleep.

Once I changed my Outlook settings to store only 7 days worth of mail on all my accounts, I have yet to see Manila's CPU usage go to 100% nor have I had an S.O.D. I've only tested this for 3 days, but I'm hopeful that this is a possible fix. Anyway, if you are experiencing the S.O.D., report back after trying this fix post your results!

Last edited by Ph33zy; 03-18-2010 at 01:42 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:01 AM
College ROM Teacher ESQ
Pocket PC: College ROM iphony Killer
Carrier: $print

piranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Yahoo to piranah
Re: Possible fix for S.O.D.

i dont have email set up on my phone between flashes usually, yet i still get the issue. it could be related to text messaging tho. 300+ a day might slow it down

Help Me Help You
Old 03-18-2010, 11:20 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

I think you have the same problem- too many messages in Outlook. Manila has to load all these mail/text files. Does your manila use a lot of CPU% and lag at times? Try deleting your messages....

Last edited by Ph33zy; 03-18-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:20 PM
PPCGeeks Ladies Man
Pocket PC: HTC Evo & TP2
Carrier: SpRinT

JDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to JDM_SOHC

my girl doesn't even have e-mail setup on her phone but her shit gets SOD like 5 times a day... she does have like over 1000+ Text's stored on her phone though could that be the culprit..?? Maybe I'm just not relating outlook to text...

Old 03-18-2010, 07:45 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

All your texts are stored on Pocket Outlook. Manila has to access pocket outlook's file to generate the email/SMS previews on its tabs and also in it's contact tabs. When you have a boatload of messages, I think it causes Manila to use too much CPU usage because it has to process a lot of data.

I'm not an expert, but just something that I've noticed on my TP2. I would try backing up your text messages and just erase them all and see if you still get the S.O.D.

Maybe someone who gets frequent S.O.D.s without having a lot of SMS/Emails stored in their PIM.vol file can report back to refute my hypothesis....
Old 03-18-2010, 07:55 PM
PPCGeeks Ladies Man
Pocket PC: HTC Evo & TP2
Carrier: SpRinT

JDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to JDM_SOHC

That's a good idea... I'm gonna tell her to do that... What would be a good program to save all those texts though..?? She's got them all saved on MyPhone but erasing them off her phone would just sync them again when her phone does another sync right..??
Old 03-18-2010, 08:03 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

I'm not sure since I don't use MyPhone. Can you just disable MyPhone sync and delete all your SMS? If you still get the S.O.D. then, well... you can just have MyPhone resync everything..
Old 03-18-2010, 08:15 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC ARRIVE
Carrier: sprint

havox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

hmm yeah is there anybody that gets the S.O.D that uses titanium only?

Dank-Ass Robba

Old 03-18-2010, 08:46 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung epic + Samsung galaxy Tab
Carrier: sprint

ajac knows their stuffajac knows their stuffajac knows their stuffajac knows their stuffajac knows their stuffajac knows their stuffajac knows their stuff

I get SOD and I keep my text and emails empty.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:34 PM
Dallas Mavericks #1 Fan!!
Pocket PC: HTC ThunderBolt
Carrier: Verizon

nrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmsohc22 View Post
That's a good idea... I'm gonna tell her to do that... What would be a good program to save all those texts though..?? She's got them all saved on MyPhone but erasing them off her phone would just sync them again when her phone does another sync right..??
after she syncs with myphone, go to the website and archive them, then they won't sync with her phone anymore. she could do this every couple of days.

your theory makes sense though, as a lot of what we call device lockups are usually just cpu problems (100% being used, so it isn't responsive).
had that problem with the moto q9c with predictive text. apparently the program was saving every word you typed so after a while, you had such a large search database to get through it would freeze up.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2