PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2011, 09:12 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

lifeuw19 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quick question on "reflashing" a ROM...

So, a few months back, I flashed my first cooked ROM. I went with NRGs 29005, dated Dec 13th. I've had some issues as of late and am going to hard reset and start things from scratch. My memory is terrible. I was sitting with under 6 MB of free storage... freezing up all the time. So I happened to notice he has a new rom out, dated Mar 21, so I thought I'd just flash that one instead. But I've been reading where I need to flash back to a sprint stock ROM before doing so. Is this necessary, going from one NRG to another NRG?

If so... where can I find the stock sprint ROM and how do I go about doing so? Just point me in the direction and I'll figure it out... I followed these directions last time and had no issues... can I simply do this again?

Thanks... want to still do this tonight... I can't even receive/send texts, or answer calls at this point.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:26 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 3D

mwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the community
Re: Quick question on "reflashing" a ROM...

Anytime you flash a ROM with a different SYS version, you should probably flash a stock ROM or use Task29. You can get the stock ROMs at htc.com (just click on support, find select sprint tp2, downloads...) or in a sticky thread in the upgrade forums. It's just and .exe that you run and it will flash the stock rom for your device. This is probably the more foolproof method.

Task29 is a little different. It wipes your phone so that no 'old' ROM parts are left behind. It's quicker, but you need to know how to put your phone in bootloader because it will just show the splash screen once it resets. Bootloader is accessed by pressing + hold volume down and pressing + hold power button. You can also just hold volume down when task29 gets to 100% (before it resets) and you will end up in bootloader. Bootloader is a tricolor screen and it should say usb at the bottom when you connect it to your PC (no activesync connection is made, but the RomUpdateUtilities will flash just fine).
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:35 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Thanks, "Walt". So there's no need to "unlock" again, correct? Once I'm unlocked, I'm unlocked? So I could flash to the stock rom, then immediately flash to the new NRG rom I'm looking at?

One seperate question, somehwat related. I hard reset my phone, just curious as to how much memory I used to have (wanted to cry). And now it seems to be stuck in 1x... won't go into ev, but I checked my wife's phone and she's got ev, so no issues on that end. Thoughts?

THANKS!
Old 03-23-2011, 09:44 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 3D

mwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeuw19 View Post
Thanks, "Walt". So there's no need to "unlock" again, correct? Once I'm unlocked, I'm unlocked? So I could flash to the stock rom, then immediately flash to the new NRG rom I'm looking at?

One seperate question, somehwat related. I hard reset my phone, just curious as to how much memory I used to have (wanted to cry). And now it seems to be stuck in 1x... won't go into ev, but I checked my wife's phone and she's got ev, so no issues on that end. Thoughts?

THANKS!
Yeah, the stock sprint rom does not re-lock the phone. I would guess a soft reset or going to airplane mode and back should fix the 1x problem.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:52 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalt2 View Post
Yeah, the stock sprint rom does not re-lock the phone. I would guess a soft reset or going to airplane mode and back should fix the 1x problem.
Thanks... I tried both soft resetting and airplane mode... to know luck. Only thing I can think of is before I hard reset, I had WMLonglife cab installed... I know that messes with the bands and what not... but I would assume if I did a hard reset, that would be wiped out.

Thanks though for the advice...
Old 03-24-2011, 02:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: LG Fathom--> HTC Trophy
Carrier: Verizon

WMFan85 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalt2 View Post
Bootloader is accessed by pressing + hold volume down and pressing + hold power button. You can also just hold volume down when task29 gets to 100% (before it resets) and you will end up in bootloader. Bootloader is a tricolor screen and it should say usb at the bottom when you connect it to your PC (no activesync connection is made, but the RomUpdateUtilities will flash just fine).
Is there a difference between some TP2s? I have tried it this way before and it didn't work. But holding the volume button down + pushing the reset button does work for me.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:50 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMFan85 View Post
Is there a difference between some TP2s? I have tried it this way before and it didn't work. But holding the volume button down + pushing the reset button does work for me.
ya vzw is different.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:16 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive

elcapo24682 is becoming a great contributor

That 1x problem used to annoy the @%#$ out of me on my tp and tp2 and its still present on my arrive but now its only because of the tower repair going on in my area right now.
Try vins roms his are the best I've used on my tp2 for 6.5 when it comes to eye candy and stability.

Last edited by elcapo24682; 03-24-2011 at 04:20 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2