PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   WP7 no removable storage, no file explorer, no usb hdd, NO COPY AND PASTE (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=114297)

p-slim 03-15-2010 11:33 PM

WP7 no removable storage, no file explorer, no usb hdd, NO COPY AND PASTE

Windows must really want to be like the iPhone or maybe my head has just been in the dirt but no removable storage card that's outrageous, what do my fellow ppcgeeks think.

http://www.mobiletechworld.com/2010/...file-explorer/

NO COPY AND PASTE

http://pocketnow.com/tech-news/mix10...phone-7-series

http://www.mobiletechworld.com/2010/...hone-7-series/

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/16/w...opy-and-paste/

nosmohtac 03-15-2010 11:35 PM

Re: WP7 no removable storage- am i missing something?

Unless They have a 32GB or 64GB model, I will be jumping ship to Android. What can be gained by not allowing removable storage?

redd214 03-15-2010 11:47 PM

No true multi-tasking, except for special hub apps like Pandora.
Marketplace is the only way to install apps, except for developers, beta versions and enterprise.
No removable storage.
No file system – apps can only access their own directory.
No USB drive mode.
No replacement of the default apps – while Opera will be allowed, it could not be the default browser.
No 3rd party shells
No native code
No peer to peer gaming.

doesnt look promising for a user like me. i really had high hopes going into this event about wp7 but now not sure which way im gonna go.

while i understand it coming from microsoft's standpoint (theyre in the business to make money, the iphone model has proved to be the most profitable so why not follow suit) it kinda sucks for guys like us i guess, really disappointed by this news

frazell 03-15-2010 11:51 PM

You have to call a spade a spade....

Windows Phone 7 Series is the iPhone done Microsoft's way. Without question they copied the iPhone's strategy 100% and offered a new UI as they couldn't copy that.

Not counting the "Metro" UI if you want to know what to expect from Windows Phone 7 Series look at the iPhone is all I can say.

This is really a bad day for us classic Windows Mobile lovers, but it looks like all we have is Android.

p-slim 03-15-2010 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redd214 (Post 1632822)
Marketplace is the only way to install apps, except for developers, beta versions and enterprise.
No removable storage.
No USB drive mode.
No replacement of the default apps – while Opera will be allowed, it could not be the default browser.
No 3rd party shells
No native code
No peer to peer gaming.

doesnt look promising for a user like me. i really had high hopes going into this event about wp7 but now not sure which way im gonna go.

Yeah I was ready to get back on the windows train also but no storage card, USB driver, or file explorer is kind of unacceptable for me. Seems like I'll be chillin wit android for awhile.

mikenerd 03-15-2010 11:58 PM

I dont really see why this aspect is a big deal. I have a 16gb card in my tp2 and I have never taken it out.

p-slim 03-16-2010 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikenerd (Post 1632846)
I dont really see why this aspect is a big deal. I have a 16gb card in my tp2 and I have never taken it out.

I've popped my card out multiple times. Often its faster popping out the memory card and putting it into another device rather then trying to send a big file through email. Have you ever tried to email something over 1.5mb, it takes forever just to send.

RKnight 03-16-2010 12:14 AM

Every Day I get more and more upset with the direction Microsoft is going. I have been a die hard Windows Phone user and supporter since I bought my first back in 2005. I am really hoping that they will continue WM 6.5.X like reports have suggested so I can dual boot a newer WM device such as the HD2 .... otherwise I may as-well be jumping full time to Android by way of the Incredible. I really don't see myself buying a WP7S device.

wildcard 03-16-2010 12:14 AM

TBH, the list of Windows 7 "features" - IE: no USB drive mode, no file system, no removeable storage (how is that OS related??) - are most likely FUD and an early April fools joke. I highly doubt they would make their OS *that* lame....

p-slim 03-16-2010 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildcard (Post 1632868)
TBH, the list of Windows 7 "features" - IE: no USB drive mode, no file system, no removeable storage (how is that OS related??) - are most likely FUD and an early April fools joke. I highly doubt they would make their OS *that* lame....

Seriously, with those 3 missing its ludacris. They might as well just build 1 or 2 phone like the iPhone and call it the windows phone. With these stats I don't see a reason for multiple providers with so many lockdowns on the device hardware. What there going to have the option to change the screen size, amount of memory, and color and that's the options we have to work with. That's why Microsoft isn't backing HTC in their lawsuit like Google is.

Frankiedog 03-16-2010 01:23 AM

Sounding more and more like the next "Jitterbug II" by Microsoft. Or the Microsoft Bob Phone.

freeza 03-16-2010 01:26 AM

failure..... :-\

JDM_SOHC 03-16-2010 01:57 AM

boooooooooooooooooooooo....

so looks like im stuck with a tp2 for the next few years...

bluedeer 03-16-2010 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikenerd (Post 1632846)

Right. You have a 16GB Card, and that's quite a bit of storage, and it's expandable. If you wanted, you could nip out and buy a 32GB one. But what if the phone only comes with 4GB built-in? Or less? Look at the Palm Pre, the Palm Pixi, and the iPhone. They have a set amount, and it's not expandable. They expect that when you want more storage, you're going to go out and buy a whole new phone to replace your previous one. How many people out there have more than 8GB of music? I know I do. Or movies? I certainly do. And I really don't like sitting there spending several hours looking through my music files to decide what I was going to listen to today. I have other things to do. I'd rather put my entire library on shuffle and just press next or previous to randomly go through my entire library, than have to sit down and pick through all of it.

I dunno about you, but it's a LOT cheaper to pay $100 for the next size up memory card than $300-600 for a whole new phone, and I'm always adding to my music and movie library. 8GB is not enough. That seems to be the bent for most manufacturers except for the iPhone. Try finding me another multimedia phone out there that has more than 8GB of storage that ISN'T the iPhone that doesn't rely on cheap, removable storage media. You probably won't. So your choices are either an alternative phone of your choice with a small amount of fixed storage space, or whatever size you want of removable storage, upgradeable at any time. I'm sorry, but to me choice wins out 100% every single time. I'll take the alternative phone to one with a fixed media. I'd have liked the Palm Pre if only it had had the ability to have removable media. It could have had only 1GB of onboard space and I'd still have bought it, as long as it had an expansion slot!

HBOOT 03-16-2010 04:31 AM

umma stay put, plain and simple...I made my 6700 work, my mogul, my TP and now TP2 with the help here and elsewhere...mostly here...PHUK IT...all good as is, or til 6.5..we ll see :mrgreen:

havox22 03-16-2010 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluedeer (Post 1633078)
Right. You have a 16GB Card, and that's quite a bit of storage, and it's expandable. If you wanted, you could nip out and buy a 32GB one. But what if the phone only comes with 4GB built-in? Or less? Look at the Palm Pre, the Palm Pixi, and the iPhone. They have a set amount, and it's not expandable. They expect that when you want more storage, you're going to go out and buy a whole new phone to replace your previous one. How many people out there have more than 8GB of music? I know I do. Or movies? I certainly do. And I really don't like sitting there spending several hours looking through my music files to decide what I was going to listen to today. I have other things to do. I'd rather put my entire library on shuffle and just press next or previous to randomly go through my entire library, than have to sit down and pick through all of it.

I dunno about you, but it's a LOT cheaper to pay $100 for the next size up memory card than $300-600 for a whole new phone, and I'm always adding to my music and movie library. 8GB is not enough. That seems to be the bent for most manufacturers except for the iPhone. Try finding me another multimedia phone out there that has more than 8GB of storage that ISN'T the iPhone that doesn't rely on cheap, removable storage media. You probably won't. So your choices are either an alternative phone of your choice with a small amount of fixed storage space, or whatever size you want of removable storage, upgradeable at any time. I'm sorry, but to me choice wins out 100% every single time. I'll take the alternative phone to one with a fixed media. I'd have liked the Palm Pre if only it had had the ability to have removable media. It could have had only 1GB of onboard space and I'd still have bought it, as long as it had an expansion slot!

the min is 8gb so u dont have to worry about 4gb or less but even tho my mem card is 8 gb now its to small im gonna wait until they have a 32Gb phone unless there is a super sexy 16Gb by HTC then i mite get that also

butler360 03-16-2010 05:36 AM

Removable storage isn't even that big of a deal compared to no file system access, no multi-tasking, no app "sideloading," and no way to set a different default browser. Give me a 32GB phone without those restrictions and I'd be sold on WP7. Although, yeah, ideally we should get removable storage.

elmerfudpucker 03-16-2010 05:51 AM

I hear Droid calling...

brownhornet 03-16-2010 08:38 AM

Android is the way... made the jump and kinda hate the fact that I didnt do it sooner.

Dr.8820 03-16-2010 09:13 AM

Wirelessly posted (TP2 or BlackBerry: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

this is sounding more and more like vista mobile lol.

speedy1979 03-16-2010 09:31 AM

I guess the Touch Pro 2 will be my last WM phone. It seems that Micro$oft has forgotten that the main attraction of WM is it's resemblance to a computer i.e. multitasking, file explorer, removeable storage etc,.

Without these features I have no reason to stay with the Windows Mobile platform.

redd214 03-16-2010 10:18 AM

wow the constraints go very deep:

-hardware kbs can have arrows, but the arrows cant be used for controlling the ui, scrolling lists, navigating maps or web pages
-hardware kbs cant have delete, insert, control, alt, caps lock, tab, pg up, pg down, or esc

-but hardware keyboards will have an emoticon key that brings up the emoticon picker lol

helix139 03-16-2010 10:36 AM

Quote:

No removable storage.
No USB drive mode.
No 3rd party shells
No native code
No peer to peer gaming.

while i understand it coming from microsoft's standpoint (theyre in the business to make money, the iphone model has proved to be the most profitable so why not follow suit) it kinda sucks for guys like us i guess, really disappointed by this news

Youve got that right. Epic fail on MS's part here. If I wanted an iPhone I'd buy the original.

chronster 03-16-2010 10:39 AM

I see myself using Android by this time next year.

oldpueblo 03-16-2010 10:43 AM

Sadly it looks like I will be doing the same. I'm very disappointed with MS's direction in this. On the same note, I can't fault them for wanting to go after that massive market after only really catering to the business class for a long time. I just don't see why they can't do both. I'm going to start referring to WM7 as urPhone because I don't want it. :p

Q_Q 03-16-2010 10:45 AM

I am surprised @ the OP's & every1 else's reaction.
It was discussed in the original Win7 thread here on ppcgeek during the media intro.
So I am surprised this is news.
It has always been - since the media intro of Win7 - that this would be a locked down system ala iPhone.

redd214 03-16-2010 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Q_Q (Post 1633493)
It was discussed in the original Win7 thread here on ppcgeek during the media intro.
It has always been - since the media intro of Win7 - that this would be a locked down system ala iPhone.

i knew it was going to be locked down somewhat, but the level of control is honestly suprising to me. i def. expected microsoft to have a pretty heavy hand to control fragmentation but think about it, with as tight of a window as manufacturers have to work with, what the hell is gonna seperate an htc wp7 handset from a samsung one? a little bit of chrome on the bottom?

p-slim 03-16-2010 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Q_Q (Post 1633493)

Yeah we knew it was going to be no multitasking and apps have to be installed by marketplace, but I had no clue about no expandable memory, no file explorer, no USB hdd, plus the things redd just named. Android has all that and is doing superb for a new OS, I was expecting MS to go this direction instead of building their own iPhone. That's why I created the thread because I had no idea about the rest of these restrictions.

sanjsrik 03-16-2010 11:59 AM

Quote:

No removable storage.
No USB drive mode.
No 3rd party shells
No native code
No peer to peer gaming.

The only thing missing is "no replaceable battery" and MS will be sued by Apple for copyright infringement. "ooh, you're as crappy to your users as we are and we're so proud of you for being JUST LIKE US. NOW, Pay us for the privilege of telling users how little respect we have for them."

smegma 03-16-2010 12:50 PM

Re: WP7 no removable storage, no file explorer, no usb hdd- am i missing something?

It's ridiculous.

Unfortunately all "power users" like us are getting screwed.

It looks like I'll be purchasing the HTC Supersonic and heading to the Android side afterall.

WP7S is MS's iPhone. :/

speedy1979 03-16-2010 01:04 PM

Re: WP7 no removable storage, no file explorer, no usb hdd- am i missing something?

Why couldn't Micro$oft simply created a more finger friendly version of WM 6.5 while doing away with the registry hive. :protest::scratch:

Windows Mobile http://images.zaazu.com/img/bye-bye-...291-medium.gifhttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...y-emoticon.gif

Android here I come.

ace741 03-16-2010 01:26 PM

They should call it the iWindows phone

wjrandon 03-16-2010 01:40 PM

I have been in love with Microsoft products since I was in grade school! This is the first time the company has actually DRIVEN me away. I felt scared from the moment I kept hearing, "It's a phone, not a PC." during the Mobile World Congress keynote. Well, screw that Microsoft. I want a PocketPC not some dumbed down device designed with a panel of soccer moms. I'm switching teams, Android here I come!

boredandtattooed 03-16-2010 01:55 PM

and lets not forget on top of all this; its not backwards compatible with older winmo versions(apps wont work).. when i read the news today and say this stuff iwas looking to post a thread on if everyone was still so hungry for this to get here, glad to see someone beat me to it... seems to be an equal amount of dissappointment amongst us..

i know i havent been into winmo as long as some of you, but ive liked it thus far for the most part... i still dont see the hype for android either.. my sister is always complaining shes bored with her Hero, so ill go look for some cool stuff for her, but usually never find much for her.. though shes not interested in alot of stuff we'd use, but still, it just doesnt seem all that different as far as whats available for it..

back on track, i think MS is going in the wrong direction completely, but i still think enough people will by it and try to brag about it, that MS wont think it has any problems and keep developing further... how long will 6.5 be supported afterwards? i mean if after 7 comes out 6.x is basically abandoned, i guess well be forced to chose between other platforms.. guess its time to start doing research and paying attention again for this guy.. TP1s are getting pretty old and TP2s will be a yr old already before we know it.. i dunno bout you guys, but i dont normally hold on to devices this long before changing to a new model... we need something universally amazing in the works....

or atleast for sprint LOL

redd214 03-16-2010 02:11 PM

while its obvious from my posts in this thread that im not pleased with wp7, at the same time i understand that you really cant fault microsoft. the mobile strategy theyve had obviously isnt working so really their only option from a business standpoint is to break away completly and start entirely fresh. they really didnt have much of a choice if you think about it. if they kept with the same formula only made it shinier and a little more polished, microsoft wouldve have been crucified for it just like they were when they dropped 6.5. wheteher we like it or not the iphone business model works, and works well.for guys like us it sucks because we all love tweaking/hacking/customizing but we make up a small percentage of the market and microsoft is trying to gain marketshare and make money, bottom line.

like i said earlier im disappointed becuase i highly doubt i will have a practical use for a wp7 handset, you really cant blame microsoft for going in this direction.

idenkilla 03-16-2010 02:35 PM

Looks like i will be sticking with my TP2 for a long time.

JDM_SOHC 03-16-2010 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmsohc22 (Post 1632992)
boooooooooooooooooooooo....

so looks like im stuck with a tp2 for the next few years...

Quote:

Originally Posted by idenkilla (Post 1633988)
Looks like i will be sticking with my TP2 for a long time.

we think alike...

Druu 03-16-2010 04:35 PM

I REALLY hope Microsoft reads these forums lol. They are going to tank big time if all this is true. Very sad, I've had windows phones ever since the 6600 :(.

Improve 03-16-2010 05:04 PM

Since Mobile world Congress (MWC) when Microsoft first anounced WMphone7, to today @MIX10 the look has changed already in less than a month. It is not due to be out until around Nov or Dec 2010. Im sure many things will change by then, and developers will figure out ways to create and allow for some of the other things we want in time. I agree with everyone here as we have similar ideas and prefer a pocket pc over a dumb "smart phone", but I have a feeling things will continue to improve throughout time.

It may be a year or two but I believe that at some point we will see more of an integration with what we want and what microsoft wants to bring to the average smart phone user in its efort to gain a larger market share of the smart phone OS industry.

Recently Doug Smith,Microsofts's Latin American Director of mobile communications was interviewed and asked about Windows Mobile phone 7 and the continued development of WM 6.5. He responded with "We still have a long runway for Windows 6.5 development before the 7 launch in holiday 2010."

Im sure we will continue to see WM6.5 devices into next year and eventualy developers and powerusers will find a way to make it work. I might venture into Android supper sonic since the HD2 is not comming to sprint, but I hope that if I do eventualy WM will bring me back around with a combination of what we want and the new WP7 OS.

Here is a link regarding the continued development of 6.5 and interview from last week with Doug Smith,Microsofts's Latin American Director of mobile communications.
http://wmpoweruser.com/?p=14043

Magoo_215 03-16-2010 05:31 PM

Failure... I will be packing my bags and getting on that Andriod cruise as well. Look like thing here on this site will be Droid related and not WM from all the post.