PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2010, 03:03 AM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10
Carrier: Sprint

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed
Re: WP7 no removable storage, no file explorer, no usb hdd- am i missing something?

anyone wonder if maybe are carriers and device manufactures are pushing for a more "strict" OS from MS?? afterall, we very well could be creating our own issues with all the tweaking/modding/hacking...im sure we cost carriers and manufacturers a pretty penny with all our exchanges/returns/scams(lol)..

maybe their all pushing for something more locked down so we cant incur all the extra BS that we all know we cause them...

just a thought..
Old 03-17-2010, 04:17 AM
Dallas Mavericks #1 Fan!!
Pocket PC: HTC ThunderBolt
Carrier: Verizon

nrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: WP7 no removable storage, no file explorer, no usb hdd- am i missing something?

if this was coming from the manufacturer's i don't think microsoft would have been so strict on the phone design (only certain buttons allowed, etc). it will be hard to tell the devices apart going forward.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:00 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 and every single phone verizon had...

Noir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIP

me thinks there will be many applications for that...
Old 03-17-2010, 10:04 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Nexus S - E3GT - Epic 3G
Carrier: SERO $30

quick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
anyone wonder if maybe are carriers and device manufactures are pushing for a more "strict" OS from MS?? afterall, we very well could be creating our own issues with all the tweaking/modding/hacking...im sure we cost carriers and manufacturers a pretty penny with all our exchanges/returns/scams(lol)..

maybe their all pushing for something more locked down so we cant incur all the extra BS that we all know we cause them...

just a thought..
I considered the same situation but realized that it probably isn't as big a deal as one may initially think. The first step in any troubleshooting performed or guided by Sprint, a likely other carriers as well, is to perform a hard reset that effectively wipes out any software tweaks and modifications. I realize that there exists a lot of fraud out there with replacements regardless, but even that aspect is mitigated by carriers' insurance and repair programs (1-year manufacturer warranty notwithstanding).

With that said, the "custom rom" and extreme power user slice is probably a very small piece of the Windows Mobile pie, and the suits in charge consider the entire market rather than simply the registered membership here at ppcgeeks. Who knows, maybe MS is trying to secure new revenue streams after realizing that this app download stuff has some money in it after all!

We called MS crazy for wanting to charge a MONTHLY membership for XBOX Live when PS3 was offering their online service for free, yet here we are all these years later.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:18 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post

just a thought..
There is absolutely no question about it, this is all for the carriers.

I said this on another site, but I'll say it here too...

This is all a product of the broken wireless industry in the USA. The carriers have way too much power over what devices the end user gets. Not one single carrier in the USA advertised the TP2 at all. Not only that, but good luck finding one in a carrier owned store. And even one step further- a lot of reps at carrier owned stores never even heard of the TP2.

So we have carriers refusing to stock it, refusing to advertise it, and not even training their reps on it. How the heck is the average joe going to actually want one, try one, or buy one?

MS totally abandonded the end user here, and they are selling to the carriers. They are leaving it up to the carriers to sell to the end user. We are no longer their target market, and they don't care what we think. They are strictly focusing on making devices the carriers are going to want. Once the carrier says they'll buy a million units or whatever, MS couldn't care less what happens next. And as long as carriers are saying they want it, manufacturers like HTC are going to want to make devices running it.

Carriers never liked us having the ability to install apps outside of the app store. They want to get a commission everytime we install an app. Plus, they want to filter the apps we get. They don't want us using VOIP, they don't want us using tethering, and they don't want us using a number of other apps as well. We can do it right now with WM6.5, but Win Phone 7 will give the carriers the power to filter our apps (and give the carriers a commission on any apps we install).

So what we need to do is contact congress, the FCC, whoever, and cite what happened to WinMo as an example that innovation will die as long as the carriers have so much power. They should NOT be allowed to tell you what phones you can and can't use. Just like the landline phone companies aren't allowed to tell you what phones you can and can't use, wireless carriers shouldn't be allowed to either. My phone should not have to be in any Sprint database or Verizon database in order for me to be able to use it. If it has the compatible radios, then I should be allowed to activate it- no questions asked.

And if that were the case, companies like MS would tell the carriers to shove it and sell their devices directly to the end user. I think this is what Google did with the Nexus One on AT&T. But everyone would always do it if the government would put these wireless carriers in check.

Everyone- click the link in my signature and do your part to end this nonsense. The landline telco industry used to be the same way- you had to get your phone from the phone company. The landline telco industry went over 100 years without any innovation whatsoever too. Once the government finally stepped in and said customers could use any compatible phone, suddely we got all kinds of innovation. we went over 100 years with no changes whatsoever, and over the next 20 years after the feds stepped in suddenly we got fax machines, dial up modems, broadband modems, caller ID, way better phones (cordless even), etc. So the examples from the past are there, and we are seeing it happen again right before our eyes. We actually LOST a bunch of functionality in what is being sold as an upgrade, from one of the most powerful companies in the industry.

If MS isn't big enough to take on the carriers, no company is. the government has to intervene or it will only get worse.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:20 AM
Dallas Mavericks #1 Fan!!
Pocket PC: HTC ThunderBolt

nrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIP

well after listening to the wmexperts podcast from yesterday I am a little more hopeful that this will end well. you will still need to cut/copy and paste, but certain apps will have multitasking ability and everything else will be push, where you get a notification on your bar at the bottom that if you respond to, pauses current app to handle that, then puts you right back where you are.
sounds like netflix will be awesome on it as well. a lot of the programs will be able to access each other, and all apps sound like they will be cross platform with xbox live and the pc. therefore, you can start working on something on your phone, then continue on the pc by syncing.
sounds like windows live will be the hub to your world.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:43 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

car_lost is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to car_lost

They should call this a Microsoft phone instead of a Windows 7 Phone.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:29 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile
Threadstarter

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim
Re: WP7 no removable storage, no file explorer, no usb hdd, no copy and paste

updated the 1st post with microsoft's epic FAIL. Microsoft has confirmed NO COPY AND PASTE, are these guys morons? Even the iphone had to implement copy and paste.
Google is the next skynet
Old 03-17-2010, 01:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2, soon EVO

Kingtut18 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-slim View Post
updated the 1st post with microsoft's epic FAIL. Microsoft has confirmed NO COPY AND PASTE, are these guys morons? Even the iphone had to implement copy and paste.
You may want to update the main page again, add to the list: NO users.

Nobody is going to buy this thing outside of the teenagers that can't live without their 360's.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:20 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-slim View Post
That is cause when iPhone came out, it didn't have copy and paste either....I think M$ is just reading off of Apples old pla books from years ago

My guess is now that bill gates left an whatever his name ceo is in charge microsoft is going down hill

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2