PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   WP7 no removable storage, no file explorer, no usb hdd, NO COPY AND PASTE (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=114297)

speedy1979 03-16-2010 09:31 AM

Re: WP7 no removable storage- am i missing something?

I guess the Touch Pro 2 will be my last WM phone. It seems that Micro$oft has forgotten that the main attraction of WM is it's resemblance to a computer i.e. multitasking, file explorer, removeable storage etc,.

Without these features I have no reason to stay with the Windows Mobile platform.

redd214 03-16-2010 10:18 AM

wow the constraints go very deep:

-hardware kbs can have arrows, but the arrows cant be used for controlling the ui, scrolling lists, navigating maps or web pages
-hardware kbs cant have delete, insert, control, alt, caps lock, tab, pg up, pg down, or esc

-but hardware keyboards will have an emoticon key that brings up the emoticon picker lol

helix139 03-16-2010 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redd214 (Post 1632822)
No true multi-tasking, except for special hub apps like Pandora.
Marketplace is the only way to install apps, except for developers, beta versions and enterprise.
No removable storage.
No file system – apps can only access their own directory.
No USB drive mode.
No replacement of the default apps – while Opera will be allowed, it could not be the default browser.
No 3rd party shells
No native code
No peer to peer gaming.

doesnt look promising for a user like me. i really had high hopes going into this event about wp7 but now not sure which way im gonna go.

while i understand it coming from microsoft's standpoint (theyre in the business to make money, the iphone model has proved to be the most profitable so why not follow suit) it kinda sucks for guys like us i guess, really disappointed by this news

Youve got that right. Epic fail on MS's part here. If I wanted an iPhone I'd buy the original.

chronster 03-16-2010 10:39 AM

I see myself using Android by this time next year.

oldpueblo 03-16-2010 10:43 AM

Sadly it looks like I will be doing the same. I'm very disappointed with MS's direction in this. On the same note, I can't fault them for wanting to go after that massive market after only really catering to the business class for a long time. I just don't see why they can't do both. I'm going to start referring to WM7 as urPhone because I don't want it. :p

Q_Q 03-16-2010 10:45 AM

I am surprised @ the OP's & every1 else's reaction.
It was discussed in the original Win7 thread here on ppcgeek during the media intro.
So I am surprised this is news.
It has always been - since the media intro of Win7 - that this would be a locked down system ala iPhone.

redd214 03-16-2010 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Q_Q (Post 1633493)
It was discussed in the original Win7 thread here on ppcgeek during the media intro.
It has always been - since the media intro of Win7 - that this would be a locked down system ala iPhone.

i knew it was going to be locked down somewhat, but the level of control is honestly suprising to me. i def. expected microsoft to have a pretty heavy hand to control fragmentation but think about it, with as tight of a window as manufacturers have to work with, what the hell is gonna seperate an htc wp7 handset from a samsung one? a little bit of chrome on the bottom?

p-slim 03-16-2010 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Q_Q (Post 1633493)

Yeah we knew it was going to be no multitasking and apps have to be installed by marketplace, but I had no clue about no expandable memory, no file explorer, no USB hdd, plus the things redd just named. Android has all that and is doing superb for a new OS, I was expecting MS to go this direction instead of building their own iPhone. That's why I created the thread because I had no idea about the rest of these restrictions.

sanjsrik 03-16-2010 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redd214 (Post 1632822)
No true multi-tasking, except for special hub apps like Pandora.
Marketplace is the only way to install apps, except for developers, beta versions and enterprise.
No removable storage.
No file system – apps can only access their own directory.
No USB drive mode.
No replacement of the default apps – while Opera will be allowed, it could not be the default browser.
No 3rd party shells
No native code
No peer to peer gaming.

doesnt look promising for a user like me. i really had high hopes going into this event about wp7 but now not sure which way im gonna go.

while i understand it coming from microsoft's standpoint (theyre in the business to make money, the iphone model has proved to be the most profitable so why not follow suit) it kinda sucks for guys like us i guess, really disappointed by this news

The only thing missing is "no replaceable battery" and MS will be sued by Apple for copyright infringement. "ooh, you're as crappy to your users as we are and we're so proud of you for being JUST LIKE US. NOW, Pay us for the privilege of telling users how little respect we have for them."

smegma 03-16-2010 12:50 PM

Re: WP7 no removable storage, no file explorer, no usb hdd- am i missing something?

It's ridiculous.

Unfortunately all "power users" like us are getting screwed.

It looks like I'll be purchasing the HTC Supersonic and heading to the Android side afterall.

WP7S is MS's iPhone. :/