PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2010, 07:56 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: Sprint (the devil)

amd4me is keeping up the good workamd4me is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I want to use my phone in Canada, what do I do?

So there is a distinct possibility i will have to move to Canada. I will want to keep my TP2. What will I need to do to get it working on a Canadian carrier? And which one is best?
Thanks in advance guys.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:05 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Verizon

imnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIP
Re: I want to use my phone in Canada, what do I do?

Sprint may have a roaming agreement with Telus, so you may not have to do anything for it to work. Otherwise, you'd have to try to get Telus to put the ESN into their database and port your phone onto their system. The other option would be to get a SIM card from one of the GSM carriers and use your phone in GSM mode.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:11 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: Sprint (the devil)
Threadstarter

amd4me is keeping up the good workamd4me is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnuts View Post
Sprint may have a roaming agreement with Telus, so you may not have to do anything for it to work. Otherwise, you'd have to try to get Telus to put the ESN into their database and port your phone onto their system. The other option would be to get a SIM card from one of the GSM carriers and use your phone in GSM mode.
Okay well the move will permanent so I'm really not interested in roaming. If I use a GSM carrier will all of my stuff still work? As in data and all that?
Old 01-20-2010, 09:52 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Verizon

imnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIP

You would have to setup the data connection on your phone, and how this is done will depend on who you get service with. You may also not get 3G service, not sure of what frequencies are used anywhere for GSM and what is supported by the phone. The other option would be to sell your Sprint TP2 and buy a Telus TP2 if you didn't want to try and get your phone put on Telus's network
Old 01-20-2010, 10:23 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Telus

Paragon is becoming a PPCGeeks regularParagon is becoming a PPCGeeks regularParagon is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Telus will NOT put your phone on their network. Many people have tried at many different levels of management to get this done and have always failed. You may find a solution in the "undergound" but officially it is a no go.

You could get a SIM from Rogers (GSM) but you will not get 3G data, only EDGE speeds.

Otherwise you may want to try to sell your phone and buy a new one from Telus.

Good luck.

Dave
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:48 AM
mcom
Pocket PC: Panther 850e, RhodiumW500, BlackBerry8220
Carrier: Telus & Rogers

briggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

get a SIM unlock code off ebay from "cellunlockland" and sell your sprint TP2 on ebay unlocked (unlock costs $12.50 but will add at least $50 to the sell price) just make sure to say that shipping is extra because you'll probalby have someone from the UK buy it, you should be able to get $450 US for it.

Only other prohibitive cost I can see would be your contract cancellation with Sprint.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:20 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: touch pro 2/treo pro/mogul
Carrier: sprint

miketab is keeping up the good workmiketab is keeping up the good workmiketab is keeping up the good work

your phone is already unlocked no need to buy anything from anywhere, the only time you have to unlock sim is for the US gsm carriers.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:01 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

frazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Look at the plans and compare as US carrier roaming is a better deal than a lot of Canadian wireless service :P
Free Disposable Email: MyTrashMail
Old 01-20-2010, 12:16 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

fakeracer is a n00b

I have been in Montreal for a few months,..and I will be keeping my US phone.

I pay an additional $40 per month for unlimited data with Sprint and thats on top of the simply everything plan $99 I think.

There is also a Canada add-on for $4.00 per month that makes the cost per minute 20something cents instead of 50somethiing cents.

I stopped into Bell canada,..and they tell me that i can get a sim card from them,..drop it into the TP2 and I can get HSPA 3G speed and pay month to month.

still not sure what i am going to do about a Canadian phone,..almost bought an iphone from Bell the other day because I am so frustrated with HTC TP2,..but then I remembered that I am a MAN who likes the ladies,..and i wont be caught dead holding that fruity girl phone.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:42 PM
mcom
Pocket PC: Panther 850e, RhodiumW500, BlackBerry8220
Carrier: Telus & Rogers

briggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

I don't think telus or bell sim cards can get HSPA 3G access as the atena in the cdma touch pro 2 phones can't decode the frequency.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2