PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2010, 10:34 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

drnick5 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Dropped Touch Pro 2 in small puddle... help!

Hello, my Touch pro 2 slipped out of my hands and fell into a small puddle yesterday (it was raining sorta hard..) I picked it up and tried it off immediately, and the phone still worked perfectly fine. I thought I had gotten lucky. well a few hours later when I went to send a text, they keyboard starts spazzing out (sort of like my original touch pro did) when I press 1 letter, a bunch of other random letters will press, and the "A" key gets stuck..... (I'll have to reboot the phone to get it to stop) also the volume key seems to occasionally get stuck in the "up" position (that is, the screen shows the volume screen, and if the setting was on anything but full volume it will turn it up until it a max volume... the only way to sop this is to press the "end" key on the phone, and it will go back to the main screen.)

as of right now, I the phone is in a semi working state.. the touch screen works, I can dial and receive calls, and send/receive texts read emails, etc. but f I open the keyboard and press something, all hell breaks loose.

Any thoughts on what I can do? think it might go away over time or am I totally screwed at this point?

I was running the latest mighty rom when this happen, I tried flashing back to stock and clearing storage but i still have the same problems. I also took the phone completely apart and left it in a bag of rice overnight (to hopefully absorb any moisture left in the phone) turned it on this morning with the same issues....

any other ideas? I REALLY don't wanna spend the 100 deductible for insurance because as soon as Sprint releases ANYTHING better then this thing, I'll be upgrading. (I with the upcoming supersonic had a keyboard..The Samsung Moment interests me if it ever gets the Android 2.1 upgrade...but I don't wanna waste my upgrade on a phone thats been out for a while... ugh, why does sprint torture us?!)

Thanks in advance for any help
-Nick

Last edited by drnick5; 03-14-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:39 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: tp
Carrier: uscc

scrapir is keeping up the good workscrapir is keeping up the good work
Re: Dropped Touch Pro 2 in small puddle... help!

I would keep it off battery out and in the rice for a full 24 hours. If that doesn't help not sure what to say you maybe on borrowed time with it.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:48 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

chewie8han is keeping up the good workchewie8han is keeping up the good workchewie8han is keeping up the good work

It might be too late now. Unfortunately you did the biggest No No. Never use electronics wet. That being said, take the battery out, and put both the phone and the battery (open the phone and leave the back case off) into rice. Leave it for at least 24 hours. I know you'll want to play with it or test it. Don't. Only after 24, put the battery back in and try it. If you're still having problems. Sorry, it's toast.

Kevin
Old 03-14-2010, 11:09 AM
Shop smart, shop S-MART!!
Pocket PC: Evolte, Gnex

themuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIP

Both chewie and scrapir gave the best advice but unfortunately you really f'd up by not pulling the battery right away. The very first thing you have to do is pull the battery, so more than likely you will have to spend the money on the ded.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:39 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: 6700, mogul, touch pro, iphone 3g, touch pro ²
Carrier: sprint & t·mobile

mike.one is a n00b

put some rice in a ziplock and put your phone in it to let it"dry-out" . i've done this to 2 phones and it works then again those phones weren't soaking
Old 03-14-2010, 11:47 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2

1454 is keeping up the good work1454 is keeping up the good work

Take the battery out and submerge the WHOLE thing in alcohol. (rubbing alcohol). It will displace the water. Then let it dry for at least a day or two. I had my titan fully submerged in wonton soup by accident and after doing this it worked fine afterwards.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: tp
Carrier: uscc

scrapir is keeping up the good workscrapir is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1454 View Post
Take the battery out and submerge the WHOLE thing in alcohol. (rubbing alcohol). It will displace the water. Then let it dry for at least a day or two. I had my titan fully submerged in wonton soup by accident and after doing this it worked fine afterwards.
I've heard this but only if the water is dirty or is something like soda ect. and make sure it is 95% alcohol or higher.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:51 PM
i like turtles
Pocket PC: Fascinate (Galaxy S)

chronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIP

i heard when something like this happens, you're supposed to take the battery out, then let it soak in demineralized water (distilled water) and let it flush out all the bad water. Since it's minerals are all gone, it won't damage the electronics. Then you just let the phone dry in the corner of your room or something somewhere for like a week and it'll be fine.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:28 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 Sprint
Carrier: Vodafone Australia

selphie is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post
i heard when something like this happens, you're supposed to take the battery out, then let it soak in demineralized water (distilled water) and let it flush out all the bad water. Since it's minerals are all gone, it won't damage the electronics. Then you just let the phone dry in the corner of your room or something somewhere for like a week and it'll be fine.
Bad suggestion. Water conducts while alcohol does not. Even though the battery is removed, electronics can still contain static charge, not to mention capacitors (which are electrical batteries of sort). Washing with water is very risky as it will just short-circuit them.

Just go with rubbing alcohol as others suggested.

Last edited by selphie; 03-14-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:52 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

jrgolfpro is becoming a great contributor

Definitely drop the phone with the battery cover off and the keyboard exposed into a ziplock bag of rice and stick it in a sunny spot on the counter for about 48 hours and see if that solves your problem. Make sure you toss the loose battery into the bag as well.

I had a friend do this after she dropped her phone in the toilet (gotta be a lady thing) and it worked fine after a few days of drying out in the rice!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2