PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 04:32 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul --> TP --> TP2 --> Transform --> Epic
Carrier: Sprint

tkjames is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question A Noob's Questions about 6.5

Okay, I've read 50 bajillion threads about 6.5, stock and cooked. I'm still kinda new to all this, and would like to know the following:

- What's the big deal with 6.5 over 6.1?

- When it's finally released by Sprint, do we update via the phone itself or have to go to a Sprint store or what?

- When/If we update, do we lose all our current data, like with a hard/factory reset?

- If we have 6.1 data backed up using SPB Back-Up and need to restore once updating to 6.5, will a restore be possible since the roms will now be different?
Old 03-11-2010, 05:01 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO

supdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: A Noob's Questions about 6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkjames View Post
Okay, I've read 50 bajillion threads about 6.5, stock and cooked. I'm still kinda new to all this, and would like to know the following:

- When it's finally released by Sprint, do we update via the phone itself or have to go to a Sprint store or what?

- When/If we update, do we lose all our current data, like with a hard/factory reset?

- If we have 6.1 data backed up using SPB Back-Up and need to restore once updating to 6.5, will a restore be possible since the roms will now be different?
Nothing too big. Just some more kinetic scrolling support. Here's a list of the top 10 improvements (according to MS) found here

You will download a file off the internet that will flash the new ROM. It's something the end user is supposed to do themselves.

Yes

Not 100% familiar with SPB backup, but a 100% restore will not be possible. It may be possible to partially restore some things though. The good news is almost everything can be backed up and imported into the new ROM via some 3rd party software (MS Myphone, Pim Backup, etc)

I think most people are looking forward to the new 6.5 ROM because there is a chance Sprint will release a native 2.5 Sense UI for it, which is a huge upgrade over the stock 2.1.

HTH
Old 03-11-2010, 07:01 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by supdawg View Post
I think most people are looking forward to the new 6.5 ROM because there is a chance Sprint will release a native 2.5 Sense UI for it, which is a huge upgrade over the stock 2.1.

HTH
Thanks much for the info. I actually have two TP2's, so when it releases I'll probably update the one I don't use to see how it is. I ask about restoring from back-up moreso because I finally have all my settings, key mappings, system tweaks, programs, shortcuts, etc. the way I like them. Getting contacts, email, texts, stuff like that actually isn't as important as my customizations, as I've worked for the past 3 months perusing this forum to get my TP2 juuuuuuust the way I like it.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:12 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

A link with 6.5 vs 6.1:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobi...n-compare.mspx

I'd be curious to try it, especially if we get the Sense update with the cool weather clock (via stock versus a cooked rom, that it). If it works out on my substitute TP2 AND I can keep/restore my system customizations, I may adopt it.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:40 AM
Dallas Mavericks #1 Fan!!
Pocket PC: HTC ThunderBolt
Carrier: Verizon

nrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIP

i don't think i can go back to 6.1 now. i really like the touch friendliness of 6.5. hate all sense though.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:40 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Arrive

NYC Guy is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by supdawg View Post
Not 100% familiar with SPB backup, but a 100% restore will not be possible. It may be possible to partially restore some things though. The good news is almost everything can be backed up and imported into the new ROM via some 3rd party software (MS Myphone, Pim Backup, etc)
The problem with MS Myphone is the limited online storage capacity it has.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2