PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 02:20 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: Verizon

Drew212 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Data Plan Required

I really want to purchase the touch pro 2 but I'm furious to find that it's going to cost me $30 a month for a data plan that is required with verizon's network. I was told that even if I purchase the phone outright I still need to purchase the data plan.

Why make phones with WiFi if the phone is going to be required to have a data plan? I don't use the phone for the web and email unless I'm in a wireless hotspot, so I don't need the freedom of a data plan.

Does anyone know a way around this? Are there any simmilar phones that don't require a data plan?

Last edited by Drew212; 03-02-2010 at 04:12 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:23 AM
Dallas Mavericks #1 Fan!!
Pocket PC: HTC ThunderBolt
Carrier: Verizon

nrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIP
Re: ESN Change

pretty much all smart phones are requiring data plans these days. the cell phone companies want to get paid same as everyone else. you might have to go with the smaller carriers (like cricket or pocket) to get what you want.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:38 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

zizo72 is just getting started
Re: Data Plan Required

switch to sprint!
Old 03-02-2010, 09:30 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: VZW

Rhodium500 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRhodium500 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRhodium500 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Trust me there is absolutely NO way around the required data plan unless you happen to know an executive that can pull strings for you. As soon as the system sees a TP2 esn then it adds the data package on if you want it activated.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:41 AM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 3

Mojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on rep

well...not all smartphones are requiring data plan. it is the carriers that are requiring it. it's a way for them to get you to a higher priced plan. smartphones don't need to have a data plan. they can still work as a regular cell phone. but that would defeat the purpose of having these powerful devices.

but yeah...the carriers found a way for them to bend us over even further down. but yeah...if you switch to sprint, you can get an the all data plan for $70 a month (+ fees and taxes and surcharges and your soul - this part doesn't matter which carrier you go to or are currently subscribed to).

Never argue with a stupid person. First, they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!

Last edited by Mojary; 03-02-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:52 AM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

It is smart to make customers have a data plan. Disabling the data all together is a hassel as many apps and programs run in the background. If you only want to check around hot spots buy yourself a netbook and use a dumphone, dump phone meaning not a smartphone. I understand the op's perspective but that's not realistic.
Google is the next skynet
Old 03-02-2010, 12:05 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

itony is becoming a PPCGeeks regularitony is becoming a PPCGeeks regularitony is becoming a PPCGeeks regularitony is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

buy a sero line...it will cost you quite a penny up front but will pay for itself
Old 03-02-2010, 12:17 PM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 3

Mojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itony View Post
buy a sero line...it will cost you quite a penny up front but will pay for itself
yeah but not all smartphone/ppc are allowed to go into the sero.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:26 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Touch Pro 2 can do sero...

That said yes the companies extort money any way they can and get away with it..welcome to the USA, the most restrictive cellphone carriers on earth..well maybe except New Zealand..

What you MAY be able to pull off is getting a sprint version of the phone the activate it as a none smartphone on the verizon network..but I cannot guarantee this will work..

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 03-02-2010, 12:54 PM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

My biggest worry is that when the WM6.5 phones die out, what will be there to replace them for us SERO customers? We can't go android or palm because they almost all 'exclusives' and therefore require the special everything data plan. We are stuck with WM, but will WM7 follow the way of android and require the everything data plan as well?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2