PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2010, 08:30 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Can't Touch This...PRO TOO!
Carrier: Sprint4Life

dbldwn02 is keeping up the good workdbldwn02 is keeping up the good workdbldwn02 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Afghanistan International Data Sucks!

Ok, I'm in Afghanistan now. I signed up for internation data with Sprint. ($40/month) I knew data was going to be slow when I got here but it only works about 10% of the times. Sprint gave me some connection settings. I'm running on the Roshan Network by default. I'm set to GSM/UMTS only.

My Data Connection settings are

APN: cinet.spcs
No username, password or domain.

Sometimes it works. Most of the time it doesn't. I notice a "G" symbol on my taskbar. I'm assuming it stands for GPRS. It usually works when it's solid, but most of the time it has "hash marks through it" and it doesn't work. I attached a picture.

My friend has a Verizon BB Tour that she uses here. $60/month. Her's connects to Vodafone and works awesome.

Any other settings I could try or should I just cancel the data plan? I really like to be able to check my e-mail from my tent. Skype is a no go for voice, but it's good for texting back home. 10 cents a text. Plus Sprint isn't charging me for receiving texts from home. I know it'll probably catch up, but I'm not too worried.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks!

I threw in a cool pic from here too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MRAP Kodak Moment 8.jpg (133.8 KB, 36 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: jpg Screen04.jpg (7.5 KB, 32 views) Click for barcode!
Call the Gas and Electric company up and ask for a free months use, Try the Water Company next and see if they give you a % off for working at Walmart or Boeing. Next time you go to Chevron tell the kid who has been there since 2am that you have been a long time customer and want to know where the free gas is and that you want some Ready Now Service too.

Last edited by dbldwn02; 03-07-2010 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:23 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

jerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Re: Afghanistan International Data Sucks!

Sprint should help you. I bet if somebody else has it working you will get it to work. I just came back from the Gulf and they usually have roaming agreements with all carriers but you may have to call them to get the phone resent from the USA. Here are my notes from Qatar:

Inside USA: 1-888-226-7212

Outside USA (toll free): 001-817-698-4199

Reset:

1. PHONE network setting to Global/automatic (if does not work try all carriers manually one by one)
2. RESET with MSL (if you do not have this, ask Sprint)
3. BATTERY removed while phone power is on, keep out 15sec, then replace

You may want this later for calling:

Configuring Global Smart Dialing
To enable Global Smart Dialing and preconfigure the dialing codes:
1. Press the Talk key to open the Phone screen.
2. Tap Menu, scroll down the menu, and then tap Global Smart Dialing.
3. Select the Enable Global Smart Dialing check box.

If this was helpful, say thanks (we really need an international page here).
Old 03-07-2010, 11:49 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: RHOD400
Carrier: Sprint

ai6908 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPai6908 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPai6908 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPai6908 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPai6908 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPai6908 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPai6908 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPai6908 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPai6908 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPai6908 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPai6908 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to ai6908

Not sure how much help you going to have in Afghan! From what I know, technology is not too far advanced in Afghan, so you might not get a better coverage there.

But as the other person said, call customer service, and they might be able to help!
Old 03-07-2010, 11:57 AM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

If you're in Afghanistan I would recommended looking into getting data over there. Your phone is unlocked so you can pop in a sim card from over there plus it will b much cheaper. Also look into getting a sim or service that supports hspa data speeds and then you will enjoy your tp2 again.
Google is the next skynet
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint/Employee

c0011j is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryyyyy View Post
Sprint should help you. I bet if somebody else has it working you will get it to work. I just came back from the Gulf and they usually have roaming agreements with all carriers but you may have to call them to get the phone resent from the USA. Here are my notes from Qatar:
Sprint is only going to be able to help so much. I doubt the network over there is compareable to here. If it's a network issue there is nothing Sprint can do.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2