PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2010, 12:37 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint TouchPro 2
Carrier: T-Mobile

p38fln is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TouchPro 2 Touch screen stops working

This has happened on every Touch Pro 2 I've had - the Touch screen collapses and it stops responding to touch. If you look at the phone at an angle, you can clearly see that the touch screen is now concave shaped, as though it got very hot and melted into the phone.

I have the phone insurance and it doesn't cost me anything when it happens - but its incredibly aggravating. I have to go to the store, prove that its broken, and I have to wait until it REALLY breaks - if it starts working again while I'm there, they send me on my way.

The symptoms are initially that a certain spot on the screen will just get stuck on - resetting will sometimes fix it. Later, the screen will respond at a totally different area, and recalibrating might or might not fix it. After that, the screen just refuses to respond at all. It always breaks on a Thursday, so the replacement wont come in until Tuesday or Wenesday the following week...

had the same problem on my Touch Pro as well. Just really annoying.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:58 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Arrive 32GB MANGO (Sprint)
Carrier: Page Plus Cellular (Verizon)

dtrush is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardtrush is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardtrush is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardtrush is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardtrush is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Re: TouchPro 2 Touch screen stops working

I've never had any screen problems with either the TP1 or TP2. That's kind of weird because I've had a dead pixel, and cracked screens before but never like you're describing.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:14 AM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ
Carrier: Sprint

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by p38fln View Post
had the same problem on my Touch Pro as well. Just really annoying.
try carrying your phone differently.. sounds to me like your keeping it in your back pocket.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:05 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

I think it happens because the phone has a severe over heating problem if it winds up in a confined space such as a pocket. My screen won't ever stay off, and the TP2 gets extremely hot when it comes on. I've also noticed that it will sometimes come on while I'm talking on it, and by the time I notice how hot the side of my face has gotten the screen is sticking to me (Like a vinyl car seat). I would imagine that either situation stretches the screen a bit, though I think the backlight coming on while I'm on the phone probably does it worse than anything else, since its already pretty warm by that point.

This phone was a refurb, and never did run quite right - the GPS antenna is disconnected according to ##DEBUG# and every GPS app I've tried, it's been extremely slow even on a factory restart, and I'm not sure how old its screen was before I got it in December.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:54 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Well, I finally figured out how this is happening - the digitizer is GLUED on to the phone's plastic case. The glue is like rubber cement, not rigid like super glue. Eventually, the glue lets the screen slide into the center of the phone, until the digitizer actually touches the screen - and then, the digitizer stops working.

It's actually very simple to fix - slide a finger nail under the plastic by the speaker and gently pry the digitizer up. Then, put it back. You dont need to remove it totally from the phone. It will flex back to its flat shape as soon as the glue releases. As soon as you stick it back down, the touch screen will work again.
This post has been thanked 8 times.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:47 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC TP2

WesWilkey is a n00b

Quote:
Well, I finally figured out how this is happening - the digitizer is GLUED on to the phone's plastic case. The glue is like rubber cement, not rigid like super glue. Eventually, the glue lets the screen slide into the center of the phone, until the digitizer actually touches the screen - and then, the digitizer stops working.

It's actually very simple to fix - slide a finger nail under the plastic by the speaker and gently pry the digitizer up. Then, put it back. You dont need to remove it totally from the phone. It will flex back to its flat shape as soon as the glue releases. As soon as you stick it back down, the touch screen will work again.
This trick fixed my situation as well. In my case the phone had taken a fall against a sharp object that left a gouge in the digitizer. I lifted it off the frame, used the stylus to push the gouge out from the underside and reseated the digitizer. Works again!!!

Thanks!!!

Sprint HTC Touch Pro (and lovin' it)
Old 10-19-2010, 02:44 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon

bMwnut1 is a n00b

Quote:
I think it happens because the phone has a severe over heating problem if it winds up in a confined space such as a pocket. My screen won't ever stay off, and the TP2 gets extremely hot when it comes on. I've also noticed that it will sometimes come on while I'm talking on it, and by the time I notice how hot the side of my face has gotten the screen is sticking to me (Like a vinyl car seat). I would imagine that either situation stretches the screen a bit, though I think the backlight coming on while I'm on the phone probably does it worse than anything else, since its already pretty warm by that point.

This phone was a refurb, and never did run quite right - the GPS antenna is disconnected according to ##DEBUG# and every GPS app I've tried, it's been extremely slow even on a factory restart, and I'm not sure how old its screen was before I got it in December.
You mentioned ##DEBUG# when referring to your GPS not working. I'm not familiar with that. Is it a cab, or built in troubleshooting? Can you walk me through the steps? I have a similar problem with my phone - none of the GPS programs will work.

Thank you!
Old 10-19-2010, 03:23 PM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 3

Mojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bMwnut1 View Post
You mentioned ##DEBUG# when referring to your GPS not working. I'm not familiar with that. Is it a cab, or built in troubleshooting? Can you walk me through the steps? I have a similar problem with my phone - none of the GPS programs will work.

Thank you!
you dial ##DEBUG# (##33286#) on your phone and it takes you to that screen.

and OP...i've never had the problem you're having with the replacements i got. sure the very first one i had was a digitizer problem, but it did not happen to the other 2 phones i got. and depending on how you hold your phone against your ear when you're talking on it, the screen will come on because of the sensor.

and my tp2 has heated up...but it wasn't to a point you described. i will notice the device heat up when im dl'ing stuff and doing other things...but not with the screen just being on. and maybe because when i see the screen turns on, i just press the power button to turn off the screen. also...since the problem keeps happening because you put your phone in your pocket(s), don't you think the problem then is not with the phone? maybe you need to finally buy your device holster so you won't keep running into the same problem.

Never argue with a stupid person. First, they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!
Old 10-19-2010, 06:35 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

bMwnut1 is a n00b

When I dial ##DEBUG# nothing happens. All I get is a message from VZW that says call can not be completed as dialed???????
Old 10-20-2010, 05:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2

machek is becoming a great contributor

Quote:

So you didnt add any glue? You just repositioned it? I got the concave screen thing too, which gives the rainbow look to the screen, and I believe its from overheating as well. how has it worked since?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2