PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2010, 10:42 PM
VIP Duck
Pocket PC: RAPHAEL / TOPAZ / RHODIUM
Carrier: Verizon

NinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
7ma saving in CDMA only mode (better battery life??) - {2010-07-18}

A coworker of mine was playing around with setting to try and extend the battery life of his Imagio. He fliped his phone from global to CDMA only mode and reports an average difference of 7ma. I know 7ma is not a large reduction in power draw, but every bit counts.

Has anyone else out there tried / measured this?

Does it make sense?

I figured I would ask before conducting some semi-scientific test where I cannot control all the environmental variables.

Let me know.

To change the setting:
Start --> Settings --> Personal --> Phone

Select the network screen and flip to CDMA only.

2010-07-08
  • Finally figured out the registry key for this one
  • Attached a reg file and a cab version
  • Not sure how much it actually helps, but since we do not use GSM, it cannot hurt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (6.5 KB, 685 views) Click for barcode!
Attached Files
File Type: cab Ninja Duck CDMA ONLY.1.1.cab (348 Bytes, 9 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: reg CDMA ONLY.reg (87 Bytes, 8 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by NinjaDuck; 07-18-2010 at 12:35 PM.
This post has been thanked 7 times.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:05 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Nexus

imnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIP
Re: Coworker reports 7ma saving in CDMA only mode (better battery life??)

You're talking about less than 0.5% of the battery capacity in the phone. You could probably get that difference by walking outside and getting a better signal...
Old 03-04-2010, 11:13 PM
VIP Duck
Threadstarter

NinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnuts View Post
You're talking about less than 0.5% of the battery capacity in the phone. You could probably get that difference by walking outside and getting a better signal...
Average draw when idle for me is around 96ma. A 7ma reduction in draw would represent a 7.3% improvement. If my average battery life is 24 hours, this would represent an increase of battery life between charges of 1.72 hours.

To me, this seems like an improvement worth making if it is true.

Thanks for the great advice though. Next time I run out of power when I am traveling, I will make sure I find a spot outside that has great reception so my phone won't die.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:16 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evil Evo
Carrier: Sprint

i360 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulari360 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulari360 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

From what i've read from other posts is this would eliminate the phone from searching for GSM towers when not necessary. It make sense to me since i'm on a CDMA network. I've done the same but my battery life was already good as far as smart phones goes, but every little counts.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:24 PM
VIP Duck
Threadstarter

Gave you thanks for a productive response.

Last edited by NinjaDuck; 03-05-2010 at 12:15 AM.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:40 PM
HTC = TAIWAN! =)
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

twe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on rep

set my phone on cdma mode now. thanks

Sprint Fair and Flex 500mins - unlimited; text, data, N&W@6pm (perks) - Sprint Pick 3, Unl Incoming Mins
ROMS: Vin. Pluto. (M2.5), Mighty (M2.5), Energy (M2.5)
Old 03-05-2010, 12:08 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

ivwonka is keeping up the good workivwonka is keeping up the good workivwonka is keeping up the good work

I used to do this in the hopes it would save battery. Never noticed anything and I usually forget to change this now when I start flashing roms a couple times a week. I think I will try to remember to start doing this again. Every little bit counts!
Old 03-05-2010, 12:34 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

mxcrowe is a n00b

I am just conducting the same tests - posted on a similar thread earlier today. I, too, changed to CDMA only, but I was suffering from some other drain that was much worse than whatever might come from the CDMA/Global setting (and now seems to have been rectified). I am at the edge of every network here, so the phone will have trouble finding anyone's towers. Should have more data by tomorrow to post.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:44 AM
VIP Duck
Threadstarter

Anyone know how to set this via registry? I will cab it up if you do.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:48 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Evo Shift 4G

HTCotta is becoming a PPCGeeks regularHTCotta is becoming a PPCGeeks regularHTCotta is becoming a PPCGeeks regularHTCotta is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I always do this, dunno if it helps or not, but it helps in my head.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2