PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   7ma saving in CDMA only mode (better battery life??) - {2010-07-18} (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=113037)

NinjaDuck 03-04-2010 10:42 PM

7ma saving in CDMA only mode (better battery life??) - {2010-07-18}

3 Attachment(s)
A coworker of mine was playing around with setting to try and extend the battery life of his Imagio. He fliped his phone from global to CDMA only mode and reports an average difference of 7ma. I know 7ma is not a large reduction in power draw, but every bit counts.

Has anyone else out there tried / measured this?

Does it make sense?

I figured I would ask before conducting some semi-scientific test where I cannot control all the environmental variables.

Let me know.

To change the setting:
Start --> Settings --> Personal --> Phone

Select the network screen and flip to CDMA only.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/attachment...1&d=1267756916

2010-07-08
  • Finally figured out the registry key for this one
  • Attached a reg file and a cab version
  • Not sure how much it actually helps, but since we do not use GSM, it cannot hurt.

imnuts 03-04-2010 11:05 PM

Re: Coworker reports 7ma saving in CDMA only mode (better battery life??)

You're talking about less than 0.5% of the battery capacity in the phone. You could probably get that difference by walking outside and getting a better signal...

NinjaDuck 03-04-2010 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imnuts (Post 1607633)
You're talking about less than 0.5% of the battery capacity in the phone. You could probably get that difference by walking outside and getting a better signal...

Average draw when idle for me is around 96ma. A 7ma reduction in draw would represent a 7.3% improvement. If my average battery life is 24 hours, this would represent an increase of battery life between charges of 1.72 hours.

To me, this seems like an improvement worth making if it is true.

Thanks for the great advice though. Next time I run out of power when I am traveling, I will make sure I find a spot outside that has great reception so my phone won't die. :banghead:

i360 03-04-2010 11:16 PM

From what i've read from other posts is this would eliminate the phone from searching for GSM towers when not necessary. It make sense to me since i'm on a CDMA network. I've done the same but my battery life was already good as far as smart phones goes, but every little counts.

NinjaDuck 03-04-2010 11:24 PM

Gave you thanks for a productive response.

twe90kid 03-04-2010 11:40 PM

set my phone on cdma mode now. thanks

ivwonka 03-05-2010 12:08 AM

I used to do this in the hopes it would save battery. Never noticed anything and I usually forget to change this now when I start flashing roms a couple times a week. I think I will try to remember to start doing this again. Every little bit counts!

mxcrowe 03-05-2010 12:34 AM

I am just conducting the same tests - posted on a similar thread earlier today. I, too, changed to CDMA only, but I was suffering from some other drain that was much worse than whatever might come from the CDMA/Global setting (and now seems to have been rectified). I am at the edge of every network here, so the phone will have trouble finding anyone's towers. Should have more data by tomorrow to post.

NinjaDuck 03-05-2010 12:44 AM

Anyone know how to set this via registry? I will cab it up if you do.

HTCotta 03-05-2010 12:48 AM

I always do this, dunno if it helps or not, but it helps in my head.