PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2010, 07:48 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

mxcrowe is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Coworker reports 7ma saving in CDMA only mode (better battery life??)

GWatch is a nice little stopwatch/timer utility. It's a 3rd-party app, not something built into the ROM. It also has a geo-caching function that uses GPS. Just make sure you don't leave the GPS on.
GPSToday is another good GPS app. I re-installed it, but took it out of the startup menu. I also set it to get a GPS fix manually.
Now, following up on my rapid battery drain: I noticed the other day that I picked up the wrong USB cable to charge my phone. I have several of the damn things laying around... When I unplugged the phone in the morning, it had charged some, but not fully!? Then, it started discharging rapidly, then stabilized after a while and retained charge as normal. This is perhaps what happened the other day when I saw this weird discharge event.
I now have my TP2 USB cable clearly marked so I don't use any other cables...must be something odd about the pinout on that other cable. It fits, but it doesn't charge correctly.
Using acbPowerMeter, I am seeing average discharge rates of around 100mA when my phone is just sitting there with nothing running. The chart shows a series of spikes over time, running up to 200+mA and down to ~50mA. I am really at the edge of the network, so perhaps this is due to the signal fading in and out...no way to know.
OP, how the heck do you ever figure out something as small as 7mA consumption difference? Seems to me there are too many unknown variables to know what a specific app or function is pulling down with that much precision...
Old 03-12-2010, 10:36 PM
VIP Duck
Pocket PC: RAPHAEL / TOPAZ / RHODIUM
Threadstarter

NinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the community
Re: Coworker reports 7ma saving in CDMA only mode (better battery life??)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxcrowe View Post
GWatch is a nice little stopwatch/timer utility. It's a 3rd-party app, not something built into the ROM. It also has a geo-caching function that uses GPS. Just make sure you don't leave the GPS on.
GPSToday is another good GPS app. I re-installed it, but took it out of the startup menu. I also set it to get a GPS fix manually.
Now, following up on my rapid battery drain: I noticed the other day that I picked up the wrong USB cable to charge my phone. I have several of the damn things laying around... When I unplugged the phone in the morning, it had charged some, but not fully!? Then, it started discharging rapidly, then stabilized after a while and retained charge as normal. This is perhaps what happened the other day when I saw this weird discharge event.
I now have my TP2 USB cable clearly marked so I don't use any other cables...must be something odd about the pinout on that other cable. It fits, but it doesn't charge correctly.
Using acbPowerMeter, I am seeing average discharge rates of around 100mA when my phone is just sitting there with nothing running. The chart shows a series of spikes over time, running up to 200+mA and down to ~50mA. I am really at the edge of the network, so perhaps this is due to the signal fading in and out...no way to know.
OP, how the heck do you ever figure out something as small as 7mA consumption difference? Seems to me there are too many unknown variables to know what a specific app or function is pulling down with that much precision...
The only way I have even come close to an accurate measurement is by turning off as many services, drivers and features as possible and then taking an average measurement over time.

Most of what you are seeing is radio and other sensors and services polling for status. When I disable most of these a get a much more consistent discharge rate.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:36 PM
VIP Duck
Pocket PC: RAPHAEL / TOPAZ / RHODIUM
Threadstarter

NinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the community
Re: 7ma saving in CDMA only mode (better battery life??) - {2010-07-18}

Bump for the cab file and registry file I added in the first post.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...83&postcount=1
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:53 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint Sero

docnas is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardocnas is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardocnas is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardocnas is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

i usually put it into CDMA mode but when ever im on the train the damn thing repeatedly asks if i want to go to Global mode.

HTC Universal-->Imate Jam(HTC Magician)-->Imate K-jam(HTC Wizard)-->HTC Mogul-->Touch Pro-->Touch Pro 2-->wonder what the next windows phone is going to be ??
Old 07-18-2010, 04:12 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ
Carrier: Sprint

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by docnas View Post
i usually put it into CDMA mode but when ever im on the train the damn thing repeatedly asks if i want to go to Global mode.
best way i've found to do this 'hack' is to simply put a small piece of paper between the sim card and pins. ;b

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2