PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 03:03 AM
Dallas Mavericks #1 Fan!!
Pocket PC: HTC ThunderBolt
Carrier: Verizon

nrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: TP2 GPS Accuracy?

I haven't had any trouble with sprint nav. i haven't really used google for directions since sprint nav with turn by turn directions.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:56 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic with Cyanogenmod 7
Carrier: Sprint

jamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Lightbulb Re: TP2 GPS Accuracy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygger View Post
The GPS on my TP2 is very laggy/inaccurate compared to my old TP1. Anyone else have this problem? For instance, if I use Goog Maps, it doesn't track my movement and exact location nearly as accurately as it did on the TP1.

Outside of the city, it really isn't a problem, but in the city, it's too slow to keep up with the side streets.
Where do you live, what rom you are using, who gps program you are using. I am using I live in San Francisco, I am using the latest mighty rom impact, with tomtom version sttra7.916.9192 black tweeked with zero to less than a second lag with agps disabled and gps log disabled in the registry.

Please don't forget to thank me.

Last edited by jamice4u; 03-05-2010 at 04:00 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Threadstarter

tygger is a n00b

Using Google Maps, when I click on my location, it says "within 1200 meters." My friend's TP1 says, "within 12 meters." Using the TP2 while walking the city (or almost anywhere walking) is completely useless. This is a horrible downgrade from the TP1.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:47 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: TP2 & HD2
Carrier: Sprint & T-Mobile

rhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuff

Quote:
Using Google Maps, when I click on my location, it says "within 1200 meters." My friend's TP1 says, "within 12 meters." Using the TP2 while walking the city (or almost anywhere walking) is completely useless. This is a horrible downgrade from the TP1.
It's sounds like you have not turned on GPS in your Google Maps settings. In turn, you're only getting your location based on AGPS (cell tower triangulation). You should be able to pin location within 10 to 20 meters using GPS instead of AGPS.

Best to all,
R
Old 03-07-2010, 05:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Threadstarter

tygger is a n00b

Unless I'm missing something, I'm just hitting the "Use GPS" function like I did when I also had the TP1. I'm doing it now and it says "within 1900 meters." I also already set the Quick GPS and the update is current.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:31 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: TP2 & HD2
Carrier: Sprint & T-Mobile

rhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuff

In Gmaps, are you seeing the number of satellites locked on in the upper right corner of the screen? Also, which version of Gmaps do you have installed? Here, with v4, GPS locks on 6 to 12 sat's in 5 to 10 seconds, and pins location down to 10 - 20 meters. it sounds like the built-in GPS chip is not working properly with Gmaps for some reason. Does Bing or any other GPS software also show your location off by 1000+ meters? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Gmaps?

R
Old 03-07-2010, 06:12 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

HTC_TP knows their stuffHTC_TP knows their stuffHTC_TP knows their stuffHTC_TP knows their stuffHTC_TP knows their stuffHTC_TP knows their stuffHTC_TP knows their stuff

Quote:
Unless I'm missing something, I'm just hitting the "Use GPS" function like I did when I also had the TP1. I'm doing it now and it says "within 1900 meters." I also already set the Quick GPS and the update is current.
I'm running v4 and using GPS and get the same statement message after launch that my position is "within 1900 meters", BUT as soon as it locks onto the satellites it nails my position within a couple of meters without any problem.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:26 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc TP2

mike99 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by strra View Post
try my tweaked tomtom cab.... it should lessen the lag considerably
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NDLQX1MN

I tried this cab, but cannot install it. It just freezes on installation, and the progress bar never even starts to fill. Tried several downloads, but no luck. Any ideas???

Thanks
Old 03-08-2010, 01:02 AM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton10 View Post
yea, there has been about 1000 posts on this ever since the TP2 came out.

I don't believe there is any fix for it. I'm sure someone will immediately post "I have no lag in MY TP2". Don't believe it, it is B.S.

~John
I have almost no lag in my GPS? Garmin follows the streets as I pass them pretty much. If there is a lag it's at most 1 or 2 seconds as Garmin tends to be very choppy in framerates. I've never reallly had lag in my TP or my Mogul either. I live in NYC/Boston if that makes a difference and have almost always run custom ROMs.

Accuracy for me is pretty impeccable in googlemaps as well, If I'm walking down the street and take a few steps in a different direction, it'll reflect within a second or two. Even with the TP it took several seconds before I can figure out if i'm walking the right way.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:31 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC: Touch > TP > TP2 > EVO 4G > EVO 3D
Carrier: USCC moved to Sprint

Earmuffs is becoming a great contributor

NOTE: sound like some people are having issues getting locks, lear to use QuickGPS to fix that and turn off aGPS so it's not as easy for your network to spy on you

For people who are locked with multiple satellites and having tracking issues the following info may or may not help. Proceed with caution.

I'm using garmin xt with the windows mobile intermediate gps driver (standard option nothing special) and it tracks as well as it did on my TP1 and better than on my HTC Touch. I run both Garmin XT and my Garmin c340/50 at the same time they seem to be on par with each other.

For locks I use QuickGPS, turn off aGPS and I get locks in 2-3 seconds. Usually I get 9 satalites by the time Google Maps pulls up the map and thats fast I have 1 megabits download on my EVDO with USCC in Madison, Wisconsin regardless of if I have 1 or 5 bars.

Hope this helps...!?? *shrugs* update your radio...? mine is not radio unlocked but I upgraded to the radio I am posting. I dont take responsibility if you brick your phone

could not load exe's as attachments so I uploaded them. the links should not go down sorry I could not give hotlink

2.23.00WU -- First file is actually a WV radio not world unlocked (was mislabeled when I found it)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SPURTIJD

USC_2.18WV -- Stock USCC Radio I used this to get my phone back out of olipro's bootloader when I tried flashing a WU radio to a sim but not security unlocked phone.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DD7GIDY9

try it but if you break your phone I told you not to cry. If you don't have money to replace it don't mess with it.
I wont be responsible for your mistakes

BTW I have have had an HTC Touch, Two HTC Touch PROs & My HTC Touch PRO 2

Last edited by Earmuffs; 03-08-2010 at 04:45 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2