PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 12:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Phen0m is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Google Voice and CDMA

Ok so as i understand it Google Voice is IP calling correct?

If this is the case, wouldn't we be able to configure GV in some manner so that we could Talk/Surf at the same time? Since were not actually using the CDMA part of our phone on GVoice calls?
Old 03-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim
Re: Google Voice and CDMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phen0m View Post
Ok so as i understand it Google Voice is IP calling correct?

If this is the case, wouldn't we be able to configure GV in some manner so that we could Talk/Surf at the same time? Since were not actually using the CDMA part of our phone on GVoice calls?
I don't have google voice so i'm not positive but isn't google voice just a place to have all phone numbers routed to 1 phone. This isn't ip calling. skype is ip calling as you put it.
Google is the next skynet
Old 03-03-2010, 12:37 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO

rushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Google Voice isn't like Skype. Skype uses data and Google Voice you get a number and still uses 1x.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul --> TP --> TP2 --> Transform --> Epic

tkjames is becoming a great contributor

Yeah, but GV forwards calls to your cell phone; it's not a stand-alone line. So even if you're on the phone talking via your GV number, you're still using the line and thus can't use data too. I think what you're thinking of is if you connected to a Skype # via an app and the data connection on your phone, in which case you're not using the phone line and could surf simultaneously.

That's my understanding anyway.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Threadstarter

Phen0m is becoming a great contributor

ahh.. well what made me think of that was this:

I have a Windows Netbook that is always with me, using Gizmo, GVout and Bria Pro im able to make calls both incoming and outgoing using just wifi.. my netbook is always "on".. so i was wondering if this could be replicated on our phones as a pseudo GSM..talk/surf solution.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:43 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: VZW

Rhodium500 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRhodium500 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRhodium500 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

yes is is possible if you use something like idialer that places google voice calls over data and not over normal voice systems.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC: Touch > TP > TP2 > EVO 4G > EVO 3D
Carrier: USCC moved to Sprint

Earmuffs is becoming a great contributor
Cool Re: Google Voice and CDMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodium500 View Post
yes is is possible if you use something like idialer that places google voice calls over data and not over normal voice systems.
Wrong, as previously stated google voice is not a voip service. You misunderstand google voice is simple a fancy call forwarding service with voicemail and sms.

Basically Someone calls your google voice number 1-608-APP-iGAY it forwards to your cell number you pick up & get a prompt asking if you want to answer or if you want send the call to voicemail.

For outgoing calls you can call your google voice number and type the number you want to call and you we be connected and the party you are calling will see your google voice number. ORRRRR you can have an app on your phone that sends an internet communication to GV and then it will call you on your mobile and conect you with the party you selected to dial. All the voice communication goes over your phone line.

What the original poster would want to do is set up voip on thier mobile I can't tell you how to do that short of skype. However it can be done with other voip services I've read about it but don't have a use for it.

Hope this helps

Side note you cold setup a voip service on the mobile and have google voice forward to your cell number and voip number. If you turn off your phone connection in in comm manager and leave data on or wifi then (or just set the phone to EVDO only) when someone calls your google voice number the call will ring what ever your on.

Last edited by Earmuffs; 03-03-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: VZW

Rhodium500 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRhodium500 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRhodium500 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earmuffs View Post
For outgoing calls you can call your google voice number and type the number you want to call and you we be connected and the party you are calling will see your google voice number. ORRRRR you can have an app on your phone that sends an internet communication to GV and then it will call you on your mobile and conect you with the party you selected to dial. All the voice communication goes over your phone line.
Incorrect. Using i think iDialer(I could be wrong if it is this program), when you make outgoing calls it uses your data connection NOT your voice line to make an outgoing call. So you could then browse at the same time. No it doesn't work for incoming but does for outgoing.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:46 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: sprint

*king* is becoming a great contributor

Rhodium500 you are mistaken, give it a try yourself
Old 03-03-2010, 05:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: SPRINT, DONT LAUGH TOO HARD

kaoss_11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkaoss_11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkaoss_11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkaoss_11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

you cant, tried with idialer, gvomo and many others

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2