PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Google Voice and CDMA (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=112829)

Phen0m 03-03-2010 12:32 PM

Google Voice and CDMA

Ok so as i understand it Google Voice is IP calling correct?

If this is the case, wouldn't we be able to configure GV in some manner so that we could Talk/Surf at the same time? Since were not actually using the CDMA part of our phone on GVoice calls?

p-slim 03-03-2010 12:35 PM

Re: Google Voice and CDMA

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phen0m (Post 1603756)
Ok so as i understand it Google Voice is IP calling correct?

If this is the case, wouldn't we be able to configure GV in some manner so that we could Talk/Surf at the same time? Since were not actually using the CDMA part of our phone on GVoice calls?

I don't have google voice so i'm not positive but isn't google voice just a place to have all phone numbers routed to 1 phone. This isn't ip calling. skype is ip calling as you put it.

rushco 03-03-2010 12:37 PM

Google Voice isn't like Skype. Skype uses data and Google Voice you get a number and still uses 1x.

tkjames 03-03-2010 01:25 PM

Yeah, but GV forwards calls to your cell phone; it's not a stand-alone line. So even if you're on the phone talking via your GV number, you're still using the line and thus can't use data too. I think what you're thinking of is if you connected to a Skype # via an app and the data connection on your phone, in which case you're not using the phone line and could surf simultaneously.

That's my understanding anyway.

Phen0m 03-03-2010 01:34 PM

ahh.. well what made me think of that was this:

I have a Windows Netbook that is always with me, using Gizmo, GVout and Bria Pro im able to make calls both incoming and outgoing using just wifi.. my netbook is always "on".. so i was wondering if this could be replicated on our phones as a pseudo GSM..talk/surf solution.

Rhodium500 03-03-2010 02:43 PM

yes is is possible if you use something like idialer that places google voice calls over data and not over normal voice systems.

Earmuffs 03-03-2010 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhodium500 (Post 1604058)
yes is is possible if you use something like idialer that places google voice calls over data and not over normal voice systems.

Wrong:protest:, as previously stated google voice is not a voip service](*,). You misunderstand:scratch: google voice is simple a fancy call forwarding service with voicemail and sms.

Basically Someone calls your google voice number 1-608-APP-iGAY it forwards to your cell number you pick up & get a prompt asking if you want to answer or if you want send the call to voicemail.

For outgoing calls you can call your google voice number and type the number you want to call and you we be connected and the party you are calling will see your google voice number. ORRRRR you can have an app on your phone that sends an internet communication to GV and then it will call you on your mobile and conect you with the party you selected to dial. All the voice communication goes over your phone line.

What the original poster would want to do is set up voip on thier mobile I can't tell you how to do that short of skype. However it can be done with other voip services I've read about it but don't have a use for it.

Hope this helps

Side note you cold setup a voip service on the mobile and have google voice forward to your cell number and voip number. If you turn off your phone connection in in comm manager and leave data on or wifi then (or just set the phone to EVDO only) when someone calls your google voice number the call will ring what ever your on.

Rhodium500 03-03-2010 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earmuffs (Post 1604273)
For outgoing calls you can call your google voice number and type the number you want to call and you we be connected and the party you are calling will see your google voice number. ORRRRR you can have an app on your phone that sends an internet communication to GV and then it will call you on your mobile and conect you with the party you selected to dial. All the voice communication goes over your phone line.

Incorrect. Using i think iDialer(I could be wrong if it is this program), when you make outgoing calls it uses your data connection NOT your voice line to make an outgoing call. So you could then browse at the same time. No it doesn't work for incoming but does for outgoing.

*king* 03-03-2010 05:46 PM

Rhodium500 you are mistaken, give it a try yourself

kaoss_11 03-03-2010 05:57 PM

you cant, tried with idialer, gvomo and many others