PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2010, 05:58 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

mxcrowe is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ROM Upgrades on VZW TP2

Just got my TP2 and will run the stock WM6.1 to get familiar, but I have some basic questions:

1) Do I need to run HSPL before I update to the stock WM6.5 ROM from Verizon? If not, why not?

2) I know I do need to run HSPL first before I load any custom ROMs. Do I only need to run HSPL one time and after that can flash any custom ROMs or flash back to stock?

3) I know the situation changes every few days, but any recommendations on a custom ROM for this phone on VZW? I want as much speed and stability as possible.

Thanks!
Great forum!
Old 02-25-2010, 06:11 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Droid X

razorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via Yahoo to razorloves
Re: ROM Upgrades on VZW TP2

1. no, because all official roms are signed. you only need to hspl for unsigned roms. all custom roms are unsigned.
2. you only need to hspl once. then you can flash away. i've flashed tons of custom roms and i've never had to flash back to official rom, but some people suggest it's a good idea.
3. mightyrom or mr.x roms are very good
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:23 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

mxcrowe is a n00b

Thanks Razor for the succinct and clear reply.
Those are the two ROMs I have been looking at, so will likely make a choice soon. Just want to make sure I do my research before I jump into this.
In your experience, are these ROMs smoother and more responsive than the stock 6.1? I wanted to just do the stock 6.5, but most of the user comments seems somewhat negative, or at least disappointed. So I decided to look at the custom ROMs and folks seem much more impressed with these.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:33 PM
VIP Member

razorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxcrowe View Post
Thanks Razor for the succinct and clear reply.
Those are the two ROMs I have been looking at, so will likely make a choice soon. Just want to make sure I do my research before I jump into this.
In your experience, are these ROMs smoother and more responsive than the stock 6.1? I wanted to just do the stock 6.5, but most of the user comments seems somewhat negative, or at least disappointed. So I decided to look at the custom ROMs and folks seem much more impressed with these.
you're welcome. anytime.

it's best to see for yourself. if i were you, i'd go ahead and flash the verizon 6.5 roma and use it for a couple days or however long you want, then move on to custom roms and see how they compare. it only takes a few minutes to flash a rom, so go ahead and try a bunch.

Last edited by razorloves; 02-25-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:27 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

mxcrowe is a n00b

Once you run H-SPL, the bootloader is changed, right? This means Verizon will know even if you flash back to the original stock ROM? Or is there some way to erase traces of having run H-SPL?
Old 02-25-2010, 11:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch PRo2

Sting32 is a n00b

there is a relocker out there, I think.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:42 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxcrowe View Post
Once you run H-SPL, the bootloader is changed, right? This means Verizon will know even if you flash back to the original stock ROM? Or is there some way to erase traces of having run H-SPL?
yea...the bootloader shows that there is a different hspl on your phone, but all you have to do is flash the verizon rom then run the relocker, and you'll be back to stock. the relocker is in the second post of the unlocker thread here http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=93252

Last edited by razorloves; 02-25-2010 at 11:45 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:35 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: VZW

Rhodium500 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRhodium500 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRhodium500 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

there is a verizon stock 6.5 that doesn't require the unlocking
Old 02-26-2010, 11:39 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

mxcrowe is a n00b

Razor, Sting: thanks for the relocker info - you guys are great!
Rho500: yeah, we were talking about the stock 6.5 rom earlier in this thread. I may go straight to MightyROM, or I may try the stock 6.5 first, but the feedback on the VZW ROM is not very good so far.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:09 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: VZW

Rhodium500 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRhodium500 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRhodium500 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I haven't really had any problems with the stock rom. I have one but it is a third party software issue.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Tags
touch pro 2;