PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2010, 12:12 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

tzx3 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
some info on my expirience with verizon customer service *may be helpful*

i just got off the phone with a Verizon Rep, who told me that all phones that are shipped to them to be replaced, get wiped COMPLETELY before being shipped back to HTC. i had mentioned to her about my custom rom, and she said that it wouldn't matter if i re imaged it back to the stock or not, because everything gets wiped off. this issue i was calling about had to do with a broken end key, and since i bought it from a third party, they were going to charge me $50, but the system magically said that it was "under warranty" some how. so i didnt have to pay.

well anyway, i hope this helps in some form as to what i remember from people on here saying in the past that you have to revert it back to stock before you ship it in. this might just be a different case then usual, im not sure.

TZ

Old 02-23-2010, 09:48 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: VZW

Rhodium500 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRhodium500 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRhodium500 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: some info on my expirience with verizon customer service *may be helpful*

Never listen to a dumb rep. The warranty can be voided by the custom rom and then you are forced to pay the price for a new phone after they find your rom. It has happened and will happen to some. Always flash back to stock because they don't completely wipe them. She lies. Refurbs have come back to community members with the unlocker installed.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:49 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

joeyc1123 is becoming a great contributor

I've had to warranty htc phones with custom roms on them before and everytime I spoke to a service rep at verizon, they told me the same thing...."Flashing your phone does not effect your warrany", that being said I've sent them 2 Vogues with custom roms on them and never had a problem whatsoever
Old 02-23-2010, 10:40 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

ponicg is keeping up the good workponicg is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodium500 View Post
Never listen to a dumb rep. The warranty can be voided by the custom rom and then you are forced to pay the price for a new phone after they find your rom. It has happened and will happen to some. Always flash back to stock because they don't completely wipe them. She lies. Refurbs have come back to community members with the unlocker installed.
Once again - Flashing a ROM cannot and will not void your hardware warranty. For the dense among us Flashing a ROM cannot and will not void your hardware warranty

Let me explain why, once again. The ROM is what essentially amounts to software. If, as in this instance, your end key is not working Verizon(or Sprint, etc) can not (legally) tell you that they won't fix your device because you installed custom software. If you installed Beejive or Opera Mobile 10 Beta, would you expect them to deny you warranty coverage on a physical hardware issue? If you bought a Dell computer that came with Windows XP, and you installed Ubuntu, would you expect Dell not to cover bad RAM or a faulty CPU?

Enough spreading nonsense. Unless you can show us where in the warranty it is stated, Mag-Moss and the analogous computer model(which has been tested) trump heresay.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:29 AM
lt cmdr of a garbage scow
Pocket PC: epic 4g
Carrier: sprint

austin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponicg View Post
Once again - Flashing a ROM cannot and will not void your hardware warranty. For the dense among us Flashing a ROM cannot and will not void your hardware warranty

Let me explain why, once again. The ROM is what essentially amounts to software. If, as in this instance, your end key is not working Verizon(or Sprint, etc) can not (legally) tell you that they won't fix your device because you installed custom software. If you installed Beejive or Opera Mobile 10 Beta, would you expect them to deny you warranty coverage on a physical hardware issue? If you bought a Dell computer that came with Windows XP, and you installed Ubuntu, would you expect Dell not to cover bad RAM or a faulty CPU?

Enough spreading nonsense. Unless you can show us where in the warranty it is stated, Mag-Moss and the analogous computer model(which has been tested) trump heresay.
it will not void your htc warranty, but will void a sprint warranty. flashing a custom rom falls under the removal and reinstallation rules in the warranty, or the unauthorized alteration part. or the fact thats its semi pirated software. the latest winmo relaeses are not available to the general public legally. although microsoft wouldnt let uot things that fried our phone, were kinda like testers, and most beta releases are use at your own risk. the comparitive is not along the same lines either. its not like putting ubuntu on your laptop and sending it back in. its more like using a bootleg windows 7 on a machine with lesser specs than required, then tricking 7 into seeing it as an acer instead of a dell because there are problems with that release, tyhan expecting dell to take it, put xp back on it and giving it to you for no charge.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:35 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: VZW

Rhodium500 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRhodium500 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRhodium500 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin420 View Post
it will not void your htc warranty, but will void a sprint warranty. flashing a custom rom falls under the removal and reinstallation rules in the warranty, or the unauthorized alteration part. or the fact thats its semi pirated software. the latest winmo relaeses are not available to the general public legally. although microsoft wouldnt let uot things that fried our phone, were kinda like testers, and most beta releases are use at your own risk. the comparitive is not along the same lines either. its not like putting ubuntu on your laptop and sending it back in. its more like using a bootleg windows 7 on a machine with lesser specs than required, then tricking 7 into seeing it as an acer instead of a dell because there are problems with that release, tyhan expecting dell to take it, put xp back on it and giving it to you for no charge.
Exactly, well said
Old 02-23-2010, 11:40 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Epic 4G

ponicg is keeping up the good workponicg is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin420 View Post
Except the original poster was talking about a hardware issues. Also, can you show me the Removal and Reinstallation rules in the warranty (Ie: where'd you find this info?)? I'm unable to find it on any of my warranty info for my Sprint TP2. Again - a service provider or manufacturer cannot deny you warranty coverage on hardware due to whatever software is installed.

Nobody asked for the original software to be put back - the OP wanted his end key fixed.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:45 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

deadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to deadwrong03 Send a message via MSN to deadwrong03 Send a message via Yahoo to deadwrong03 Send a message via Skype™ to deadwrong03

what if u return a phone with the stock rom on it but its unlocked from when u flashed before is that a issue with verizon or sprint??
Old 02-23-2010, 12:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

MikeOD is becoming a great contributor

deadwrong...if it's a hardware issue, it shouldn't matter (though you may need to argue with someone on the phone for a while first)...if it's an issue like "the phone won't boot anymore and gets stuck at this rainbow screen"...which is the boot loader...and they find you altered the software on it, with an unlocker, or a custom rom...then that IS grounds for them to deny your warranty claim...but you can re-lock the phone too, so it's not a big deal.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

tprime76 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via Yahoo to tprime76

Wouldn't it just be easier to spend the 10 minutes reflashing to stock, if possible, than it would be to deal with any potential problems downstream? It DOES impact warranty. If you want to use an analogy, stick to car ones... You always have to have a car analogy.

If you reflash the car's ECM or TCM and go in for problems with the transmission, they are going to give you problems with the change. Now add into that the fact the the HSPL unlocker is reverse engineering a method of write protection and they might, outright, tell you that they aren't going to help you get a new phone.

Simple solution, spend the few minutes it takes to flash back to stock and take the argument out of the picture.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2