PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 01:49 PM
337 L.V.
Pocket PC: HTC TP JR
Carrier: SPRINT

youngpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Saving Programs/Apps to SD

Okay so I was installing EVERYTHING to my device. After all of my cabs were installed I had less than half the memory I started with. So I thought of something genius. Why not save programs to my sd card! lol. Anyways, here is my question. If I save programs to my SD card will they automatically be in my start programs AFTER a hard reset?? If not is there a way to transfer them over but still keep them on my sd card and not on my device? Or do I have to install each program again after I hard reset or flash another ROM??
Old 02-21-2010, 02:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

aj48198 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularaj48198 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularaj48198 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularaj48198 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Saving Programs/Apps to SD

The programs will stay on your SD card. What you have to do is after a hard reset is go to: STORAGE CARD-PROGRAM FILES. Once you are there, everything you installed to your phone via storage card will be there. what you will need is the .EXE file. When you find the .EXE file, touch and hold. The options screen will pop up. what you want to do is select COPY. After you select COPY, go to MY DEVICE - WINDOWS - START MENU - PROGRAMS. Once you are there either touch and hold anywhere on the screen or use the menu button at the bottom and select PASTE SHORTCUT. It will then paste a shortcut to the program that you previously copied. From there you can rename it (it will say "shortcut to____" just delete the 'shortcut to' part of the program) to say the actual program. Now when that is done, just close the file explorer, hit the windows icon and your program should be in there. HTH!!
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

aj48198 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularaj48198 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularaj48198 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularaj48198 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

If its clear as mud (even I can confuse myself sometimes!) lets say that you installed Coreplayer to your phone but had the actual program installed to your storage card. In your Coreplayer folder is the Coreplayer.EXE file, copy that file to the programs folder in the start menu. Now every time you hit the Windows icon, CorePlayer will show up in your start menu.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:02 PM
A Geek For Eons
Pocket PC: Photon, Xoom
Carrier: Sprint/US, Airtel/India, Telus/Canada

willysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on rep

In many cases, you'll need to re-install after every hard reset.

Don't assume that installing an app to SD means that EVERY file goes there.

It's not unusual for a program being installed to the SD card to still leave a few files in main device memory.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:54 PM
337 L.V.
Pocket PC: HTC TP JR
Carrier: SPRINT
Threadstarter

youngpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj48198 View Post
The programs will stay on your SD card. What you have to do is after a hard reset is go to: STORAGE CARD-PROGRAM FILES. Once you are there, everything you installed to your phone via storage card will be there. what you will need is the .EXE file. When you find the .EXE file, touch and hold. The options screen will pop up. what you want to do is select COPY. After you select COPY, go to MY DEVICE - WINDOWS - START MENU - PROGRAMS. Once you are there either touch and hold anywhere on the screen or use the menu button at the bottom and select PASTE SHORTCUT. It will then paste a shortcut to the program that you previously copied. From there you can rename it (it will say "shortcut to____" just delete the 'shortcut to' part of the program) to say the actual program. Now when that is done, just close the file explorer, hit the windows icon and your program should be in there. HTH!!
Thank u. No need for the second post this one was very clear and helpful. Thanks a lot.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:41 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

TheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on rep

After a hard-reset, everything has to be re-installed, whether it was in main memory or on your SD card. The SD card won't be wiped out by the hard-reset, but everything the original installation did to the main memory, including registry entries, will be gone.

But re-installing programs, whether they are installed to main or SD memory isn't neccasary if you just "Restore" from your previous night's backup that you made with SPB Backup or Sprite. However, since you want to move where the are installed to, you need to not run the backup, but start fresh. Just make sure you save all the cab's to your card first. I save EVERY cab to my SD card, regardless of where I end up installed the program to (a few programs work best when installed to main memory). I install 19 out of 20 programs to my SD card, and save EVERY downloaded file, cab, etc., to my 16 gig SD card.

And failing to use either SPB Backup or Sprite is the reason for a large amount of unneed posts and headaches people have with these phones. Consider these phones like a computer - if what you have on it is important to you, not backing up with powerful backup software is just asking for trouble.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:16 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint CDMA Touch Pro 2

mikedboyd is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmikedboyd is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmikedboyd is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmikedboyd is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via Yahoo to mikedboyd

Also - if you're going to be hard resetting because of ROM upgrades, you'll want to get familiar with Sashimi or XDA UC or whichever technique you end up liking. It automates the installation process for CABs, registry updates, XMLs, file copies to main memory (wallpapers, etc.), and other possibilities.

Be sure to thank me IF I help .............................

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2