PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2010, 06:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Sprint

Snoman002 is keeping up the good workSnoman002 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Short Range Locator?

You know how it is, your at the local adult beverage super store and your buddie says he is going to the beer fridge and you head over to look for some Jack Daniels, next thing you know you can't find your buddie and you spend precious drinking minutes wandering the store.

Ok, to be honest, your at Super Walmart and your kid is annoying you and you just want to find your wife, drop the kid off and head over to electronics for a few precious minutes. But you head over to the candle section where the wife said she would be and she isn't there. So you spend the next 20 minutes wandering through the feminin clothing section just to find your SO in the baby section. And then after that she decides its time to go and you miss out on staring at the 21.5" Acer wide screen monitor and oogling Ipod accessories (wishing they were for your phone).

Is there any software out there that is a short range locator. Perhaps something that searches for the other handsets WiFi, if that would work.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:34 PM
War is the answer!
Pocket PC: Samsung Note III, GS4 & Asus Transformer
Carrier: Sprint since 1995

WarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Re: Short Range Locator?

What your talking about you can get through Sprint. Its called Sprint Family Locator.

CW

FORUM FAQ | FORUM RULES | NEW USER GUIDE |TIPS FOR SEARCHING | RULES FOR SALES ON SITE

Semper Fidelis (Always Faithful) is the motto of the Corps. That Marines have lived up to this motto is proved by the fact that there has never been a mutiny, or even the thought of one, among U.S. Marines.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:47 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2

frazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

This is a cool App idea, but the biggest challenge is how to locate the other phone. Especially when the only possible radio you could really use for this, Bluetooth, is usually off on most phones...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandWheeler View Post
What your talking about you can get through Sprint. Its called Sprint Family Locator.

CW
Won't work for him. It will say they are in the same location, but not down to what isle the other person is on.
Free Disposable Email: MyTrashMail
Old 02-16-2010, 06:49 PM
War is the answer!

WarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazell View Post
This is a cool App idea, but the biggest challenge is how to locate the other phone. Especially when the only possible radio you could really use for this, Bluetooth, is usually off on most phones...

Won't work for him. It will say they are in the same location, but not down to what isle the other person is on.
yea your right but there is also nothing on the TP2 that is that accurate.

CW
Old 02-16-2010, 07:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Yeah, family locator is the idea, but with more accuracy.

I was thinking something that could send a text to the other phone that turns on the WiFi (the only thing with range) and send a text back with its IP, and then your phone shows a wifi radar looking for that IP.

Or something like that.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:35 PM
War is the answer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman002 View Post
Yeah, family locator is the idea, but with more accuracy.

I was thinking something that could send a text to the other phone that turns on the WiFi (the only thing with range) and send a text back with its IP, and then your phone shows a wifi radar looking for that IP.

Or something like that.
the wifi range is really short on the TP2

CW
Old 02-16-2010, 08:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

myhollowworld2 is becoming a great contributor

I would imagine it would be just as easy to call said person and they could tell you where they are? It seems like you're trying to over complicate the already simple. Or perhaps a text message? Picture message?

Not only that, but that could be some serious stalkerish software
Old 02-16-2010, 11:12 PM
War is the answer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhollowworld2 View Post
I would imagine it would be just as easy to call said person and they could tell you where they are? It seems like you're trying to over complicate the already simple. Or perhaps a text message? Picture message?

your so right. I was all into it too...lol there is already a lot of stalking software out for our phones.

CW
Old 02-16-2010, 11:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhollowworld2 View Post

Well, I can understand that point. Although the way I described would require the software to be installed on the target device.

I was thinking of more when the wife turns off the ringer, or can't hear it because it is in her purse (happens way to often). Or for more general direction, looks like housewares not feminin products, lol.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:47 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: Verizon

1454 is keeping up the good work1454 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman002 View Post
Well, I can understand that point. Although the way I described would require the software to be installed on the target device.

I was thinking of more when the wife turns off the ringer, or can't hear it because it is in her purse (happens way to often). Or for more general direction, looks like housewares not feminin products, lol.
It would be a great idea. I can't tell you how often I lose my fiance in stores and cant find her. And getting her to pick up the phone, forget it. She never hears it in her purse. (either that or she wants more time to look at the clearance section or clothes ).

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Tags
finder, locator, short range