PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2010, 07:08 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC RhodiumW (Sprint Touch Pro 2)
Carrier: Sprint

JakFrost is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Which ROM? - BuildOS ROM WM 6.5.5 28014, MightyROM WM 6.5.0 21890, or other.

I've been using my HTC Mogul (aka Titan, PPC-6800) and I just bought the HTC Touch Pro 2 for myself, after getting one for my wife earlier. I left her phone with the stock Sprint OEM ROM with TouchFlo 3D manager because I want it to be reliable for her.

My old HTC Mogul is using the latest available Windows Mobile 6.5.5 Professional build 28014 with HTC Home manager and I've been using it for a few weeks and it's a bit buggy. When typing a new SMS sometimes randomly the Send button switches to Reply To All and if you click it you lose the message you typed. Also the phone likes to freeze when syncing with Windows 7 Mobile Device Center.

BuildOS Obsolete and Problematic?

Now that I have my own HTC Touch Pro 2 I'm not sure what I want to do. I always thought that the latest released build in the PPCKitchen BuildOS like the 28014 that I've been using would be the best but it isn't. I'm also a little upset that many of the packages in BuildOS are way old (2007), duplicated with different obsolete versions, and no longer updated so I'm not so keen on using that very much since it's a little outdated and hasn't been improved much internally anymore except for always having the latest OS builds available. I've always had to cook my own ROM with BuildOS and then deal with all the file replacement issues with incompatible packages dropping different .NET framework version files overwriting each other in the Windows folders.

Is MightyROM The Best?

As a test I installed the latest MightyROM 2010-02-10 that was just released with Windows Mobile 6.5.0 Build 21890 with Manilla 2.1 and it seems alright but I haven't used the phone at all. The install was a piece of cake and it looks to be very well put together and easy to install without any fluff. How's stability and performance?

What about Sprint OEM Stock ROM?

My wife has been using the stock ROM and it's been working well for her, only one or two hard lock-ups in all this time she's been going heavy with navigation, messaging, e-mail, browsing, and phone calls. She's a super heavy phone user where as I am very light user.

What ROM To Use?

Are there any other well designed and stable with relatively recent OS builds ROMs out there? There are just too many ROM options in the CDMA ROM subforum here to try and spend time on. Any suggestions?

What Home Screen Manager to replace HTC Home?

There are so many out there TouchFlo 3D, HTC Sense, Manilla, Titanium, SBP Mobile Shell. What to use?

I've used and love HTC Home and now I'm looking for a replacement, any suggestions on something good and preferably with all the info I need on the front Home page?
Old 02-13-2010, 12:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

PatientTwo is just getting started
Re: Which ROM? - BuildOS ROM WM 6.5.5 28014, MightyROM WM 6.5.0 21890, or other.

hey i personally use Energy ROM Pheonix 2

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=86491

it is the most stable ROM i have used since ive had my phone

hopes this helps
Old 02-13-2010, 02:14 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: no one a this time

skilzkilz is a n00b
Re: Which ROM? - BuildOS ROM WM 6.5.5 28014, MightyROM WM 6.5.0 21890, or other.

For the past month i was using MalRom.

IMO it was more stable than mightyrom and energyrom.

But now im back with mightyrom with sense 2.5.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:32 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

x10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on rep

ROMs are a HIGHLY subjective answer. So take every answer with a grain of salt because some people value different things in their phones.

Your best best is just to flash a few different ROMS to find out what you like. (Mighty, Energy, Juicy, etc. are all good) The TP2 has evolved greatly from the Mogul, so what was good back then in terms of ROMs may not necessarily apply.

The old BuildOS does not really apply to the TP2 anymore. (didn't even know that still existed). If you are used to that, I'd suggest looking at Calkulin's kitchen.

Also despite what people say, the stock TP2 ROM is actually decent. Just follow the Tweaks thread and you should be good to go.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro 2

ToddSmith is keeping up the good workToddSmith is keeping up the good work

Personally, I really like the Neodium ROM, it's designed for Sprint, so you don't have to run a carrier cab, and MMS runs right "out of the box". It's fast, stable, and has good battery life. Give it a shot, see if you like it.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:12 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic with Cyanogenmod 7

jamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I like the Mightyrom 02.10.2010 it is the most stable rom period. I have no issue MMS works, gps works, it is fast with great battery life it even has xda_uc which auto installs your cab files. The notifications to update the rom are a pain in the butt, but you install a cab with disable this feature. If you are a busy person I would suggest this rom for sure. You will end up wasting days and realize that this rom is truly the besst hands down.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:23 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

JakFrost is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamice4u View Post
I like the Mightyrom 02.10.2010 it is the most stable rom period. I have no issue MMS works, gps works, it is fast with great battery life it even has xda_uc which auto installs your cab files. The notifications to update the rom are a pain in the butt, but you install a cab with disable this feature. If you are a busy person I would suggest this rom for sure. You will end up wasting days and realize that this rom is truly the besst hands down.
That's the ROM that I flashed to my phone since I've heard of MightyROM from before but I can't tell how stable it is or how well it runs because I haven't compared it anything else out there. Also since it was just released 3-days ago, it's too short to tell about any problems it has or really how stable it is, isn't it?
Old 02-14-2010, 05:42 AM
Dallas Mavericks #1 Fan!!
Pocket PC: HTC ThunderBolt
Carrier: Verizon

nrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIP

sprint rom with GT4l cleanup cab and mobile shell runs great. only time i've hard reset is when i was using an old version of wifirouter.
i was looking into some of the 6.5 roms, had it narrowed down to sprintlover's rom by chris**** and the titanium only rom that is linked here to digital underground. that one uses only titanium, no other UI and it has the most free ram of any of the roms i looked at.

for now i'll stick with 6.1 with mobile shell. constantly sitting at 48% memory used which is better than most of the roms i looked at.
good luck in your search.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:22 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

solarflarex is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsolarflarex is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsolarflarex is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsolarflarex is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsolarflarex is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Formula's spb mobile shell rom. It is the best rom hands down and i've flashed them all.

I love NRG's style but the ram and stability is a huge factor along with text messaging lag. Mobile shell really is better than tf3d overall. The only thing that tf3d has over it is weather animation. I'd rather have speed/ram/stability and the latest 6.5.5 all in one than some flashy clouds or whatever... I also like the ability to be able to customize my screens with shortcuts and widgets, instead of waiting for some mod to give me more than 9 shortcuts.

p.s. i'm not knocking max manilla dev's or anything. its great they are doing what they are doing, but it just shows how freakin stupid manilla is.. its a pure pos. Laggy/memhog very difficult and buggy to customize etc.. Personally I think if the devs that try to mess with manilla create widgets etc for mobile shell we'd all be better off. Formula's well skinned rom is proof of that.

Maybe someone can make a cool weather widget for mobile shell someday!

Last edited by solarflarex; 02-14-2010 at 06:26 AM.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:40 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

JakFrost is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarflarex View Post
Formula's spb mobile shell rom. It is the best rom hands down and i've flashed them all.
That ROM is only using WM build 23529 and the newest one is 28014. SPB Mobile Shell is only a 15-day trial and costs $29.99 so there's a cost involved in that ROM. Something that's not mentioned up-front until you read through the thread.

I might try it one day after I figure out how to save my settings onto storage card before I re-flash.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2