PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2010, 08:10 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

EngravEER is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Calendar appointments off 1 hr. -- this is absolutely driving me to drink!

I've got a Daylight Savings Time problem that's putting me on a path towards alcoholism. Let me set the stage...

I'm running a Sprint Touch Pro 2 with MalRom 6.5.3. Desktop PC is Win XP, Outlook 2003 & ActiveSync 4.5. I keep the PC continually up-to-date with Microsoft Update. All latest updates have been applied. On the TP2, I've installed the Daylight Savings Time fix from Microsoft found here...

https://www.microsoft.com/windowsmob...gs-update.mspx

Off a hard reset when I sync the TP2 with my PC via ActiveSync, all of my appointments on the TP2 during the 2010 DST period (March 14 thru November 7) are off 1 hour (i.e. an appointment that shows correctly starting at 2pm in Outlook on my PC shows a start time of 1pm on my TP2). Note that this ONLY happens during the DST period. My meeting on March 13, 2010 displays the correct times on the TP2. My daughter's piano recital the next day on March 14th does not. My appointment on October 31st displays one hour early. My next appointment on November 13th (after the time change) displays correctly.

This doesn't seem to be a widespread problem for folks like the 2016 text message bug. Searching for a solution here on ppcgeeks, only a handful of folks seem to be having the same problem and a chunk of those are having a problem with birthdays displaying on the wrong days, not appointments with incorrect start times. No one seems to have found a fix though.

SOMEBODY out there has had to have experienced this same problem and solved it. I've tried every update and reset suggested in the searches I've found, and to-date, nothing has worked. I'm at wits end and am running out of booze to make the problem go away!

Please help me.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:29 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro2
Carrier: Verizon

DLCPhoto is keeping up the good workDLCPhoto is keeping up the good work
Re: Calendar appointments off 1 hr. -- this is absolutely driving me to drink!

Quite a few of us are experiencing this issue, or variations on it, and I have yet to find a fix. Extremely annoying.

I was doing some searching and came across this:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...e-3f4ada831fe0

It's allegedly a Daylight Saving Time fix for Windows Mobile.

Has anybody tried this, and found that it actually fixed the problem?

You might give it a try and report back what happens, one way or the other.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:35 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

unitmonster is just getting started

I am having the same problem on Caulkin's 6.5 manila 2.5 for Sprint HTC Touch Pro 2. I have applied the most recent microsoft fix (kb975353.cab) and it will sorta work (the appointments will briefly appear at the wrong time, and then I can quickly see the cab at work changing the appt to the correct time). However, when I soft reset, the cab stops working and the appts revert back to being an hour off. If anyone has been able to find a solution, please post it. As stated in the OP's message, the only appointments that are affected are the ones during the daylight savings period of 3/14 through 11/7. Everything else is fine. The appts appear fine on my PC (Vista with Outlook 2003).

Please help if you can....thanks!
Old 02-13-2010, 09:45 AM
Regular 'Geeker

I no longer have the link, but I was reading more about this in a Microsoft forum, I believe, and one person pretty much traced it down to a bug in SP2 in Outlook 2007. I don't know if this applies universally, but in his particular case, after a full system reformat, and step-by-step reinstallation, it wasn't until SP2 was applied to Outlook 2007 that this anomalous behavior appeared.

In his case, some events showed up as having an interval of every 12 years! I had one of these when I first noted this problem. Unfortunately, the discussion there did not provide any fix - it seems that it is up to Microsoft to recognize, acknowledge, and fix this bug, but thus far, nothing is forthcoming.

As I documented before, I had used Outlook 2007's import function to bring in U.S. Holidays to my calendar. This appears correctly in Outlook 2007's Calendar, but on my TP2, Independence Day, July 4th, shows up as July 3rd!!!

Quite frustrating!
Old 02-14-2010, 12:47 PM
N00b

Hmmm...so I seem to have my appointments and daily events back to normal after piecing together info from multiple web searches. I'll share what I did (as best as I can) in hopes that this might work for others. I saw different threads with the same problem, so I am posting this to multiple threads in hopes of helping as many as possible.

I downloaded and installed the daylight savings patch KB975353.CAB (you can access from link in first post). I then switched the time zone in the "clocks and alarms" settings to London time, which was GMT London (no time offset...as an example eastern timezone will show as GMT-5 Eastern US). There is probably a quicker way to get to clocks and alarms, but for me I accessed it through "phone" > "options" > "CDMA services"> "time synchronization" > "get settings". I turned OFF the option to have my phone sync the time with the network, and then on that same page I selected "clocks and alarms" to adjust the time zone. I soft reset and when the phone booted back up, I was still on London time. I then went back into clocks and alarms and switched back to my time zone (eastern). I then soft reset again. After all of this, all of my hourly appointments during the daylight savings period were showing the correct times. However, my daily appts were still a day earlier. Interestingly enough, recurring daily events like a birthday were correct, but events I had setup that were not recurring (such as memorial day, election day, etc) were still a day earlier. So on my phone I went into each of the daily events that was still incorrect and switched it to the correct date. Once this was complete, I synced to my PC and confirmed that everything was correct on both my PC and my phone. Since then I have added all day events and hourly appts during the DST period and they are entered and stay correct on both PC and phone. I read somewhere that someone had an issue where things seemed to work, but then the next day the appts were off again. At least for me, I crossed into the next day and everything is holding as needed.

This was a real hassle, but I am hoping that the problem is over for me. Good luck...I hope this can help some of you.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:14 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

EngravEER is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitmonster View Post
I turned OFF the option to have my phone sync the time with the network, and then on that same page I selected "clocks and alarms" to adjust the time zone. I soft reset and when the phone booted back up, I was still on London time. I then went back into clocks and alarms and switched back to my time zone (eastern). I then soft reset again. After all of this, all of my hourly appointments during the daylight savings period were showing the correct times. However, my daily appts were still a day earlier. Interestingly enough, recurring daily events like a birthday were correct, but events I had setup that were not recurring (such as memorial day, election day, etc) were still a day earlier. So on my phone I went into each of the daily events that was still incorrect and switched it to the correct date. Once this was complete, I synced to my PC and confirmed that everything was correct on both my PC and my phone. Since then I have added all day events and hourly appts during the DST period and they are entered and stay correct on both PC and phone. I read somewhere that someone had an issue where things seemed to work, but then the next day the appts were off again. At least for me, I crossed into the next day and everything is holding as needed.
Monster... Cool. Sounds very promising and worthy of giving a shot. Anything to solve this #$%! problem.

Did you go back after making all of these adjustment and turn back ON the option of having your phone's time sync with the network or have you left it OFF?

Know you said your appointments were holding correctly after crossing into the next day. Have you done a soft reset after crossing into the next day and still found everything to be OK?

Any idea what would happen with everything if you cross into another time zone (say going from the East Coast to West coast on a business trip)? The the last big question... will everything hold when the clock moves ahead one hour at 2:00am on 3/14/10?

Again, great job on coming-up with what is hopefully The Holy Grail in solving this problem.

Of course my biggest poser on this whole ordeal is why does it seem like this is a major problem for only a handful of us? I'd have to think this would be affecting the vast majority (if not all) of WM users who sync using Outlook. And make no mistake... it's a HUGE problem if you're showing-up an hour late (or early) for a critical meeting or interview.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:32 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

abrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to abrigham Send a message via Yahoo to abrigham Send a message via Skype™ to abrigham

I'm honestly wondering if this is even really a "bug", per se... So far, I only see this on recurring appointments so I'm wondering if they will automatically adjust when DST kicks over... Also, I don't think it's related to Outlook as I use Google Sync and still see it. Personally, I'm going to wait and see what happens when DST rolls around (I don't rly have any critical appointments in the DST period yet so I suppose I can afford to wait and see )
Old 02-14-2010, 04:49 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

EngravEER is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrigham View Post
... So far, I only see this on recurring appointments so I'm wondering if they will automatically adjust when DST kicks over...
For me, it's happening on all one-time appointments occurring within the DST time frame (3/14/10 to 11/7/10). Recurring appointments, birthdays, anniversaries, etc. seem fine.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:38 PM
N00b

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.7 (WindowsMobile; PPC; Opera Mobi/35267; U; en; Presto/2.1.1))

I did a soft reset after crossing days and my calendar was still correct. I think there is a chance everything could have corrected itself on 3/14 when DST starts, but for me that wouldn't work as i rely on looking at my future calendar to make appts. This is why I feel this is a true bug. As an example, I entered an important all day commitment for 3/27. My phone shifted the event to 3/26. Resolving itself on 3/14 wouldn't help if I double booked myself prior to that because of this glitch

I have not switched the time to sync with the network again...i would like to, but am afraid it will somehow mess things up again. Also, I would think once things are working, crossing time zones on a trip should be fine, but that's just my guess.

Good luck!
Old 02-15-2010, 12:32 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Thanks for the post, unitmonster, but no joy for me...

I followed the same steps as you (with the exception that I re-enabled network time sync after the reset), but the effected times/dates were not fixed.

I then did a PC Sync, and oddly, encountered the following:
Quote:
There has been a change made on your server that requires you to resynchronize all items on your device. All changes made since your last successful sync will be lost. Do you wish to continue?
I basically had to say Yes, and when I did, I could see it re-sync all calendar, contact, etc. info. I thought for sure this would fix it, but no change.

The only other option I've read about is running the "Time Zone Data Update Tool for Microsoft Office Outlook" shown here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/931667

Further, it says on that page:

Quote:
The Time Zone Data Update Tool will not be distributed through Microsoft Update or through Windows Update.
I guess I can try this, re-sync, and see if that helps.

What a mess....

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2