PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Backlight Turns On Randomly! HELP! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=109722)

midnightsrealm 02-07-2010 12:42 AM

Backlight Turns On Randomly! HELP!

Hello!

The backlight on my HTC Touch Pro 2 randomly turns on quite often...sometimes every 10 seconds and others after a minute or so...That is, when the screen is off, it will turn itself on, and the Home screen appears.

I have gone through the settings to the best of my ability yet cannot find one thing that would potentially fix this. Furthermore, I've done some research online and nothing seems to be relevant.

I have also done a hard reset...which didn't fix a thing.

As you could imagine, when the phone is in my pocket and the backlight turns on and I start randomly calling people, taking pictures, etc...this is not good.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...Thank you in advance!

Aleki 02-07-2010 02:48 AM

Re: Backlight Turns On Randomly! HELP!

They all seem to do this when seeking for a native signal. Are you on roam alot in your area?

Your best solution is to lock the screen when you want to put it away

lazydazed 02-07-2010 03:54 AM

WELCOME TO THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF THE PPC AND EVERYTHING WINDOWS!!

its gonna happen alot... get s2u2 or throttlelock downloaded and use it for a screenlock... but if your screen is cycling on alot , soft resets can be your friend too... good luck and enjoy the bugs!

lefty11 02-07-2010 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aleki (Post 1547491)
They all seem to do this when seeking for a native signal. Are you on roam alot in your area?

Your best solution is to lock the screen when you want to put it away

not aware of this issue ... lock would work but would call Sprint on this one and see if they
a possible fix (or exchange since its under 1 yr) . My son's TP 2 would constantly go into roam and he never had that issue. He did however fix his "roaming " issue by updating his PRL . Moreover , and I am just grasping, you aren't using a magnetic case or anything like that near it, are you? I assume not from your post but you never know.
I just exchanged my TP2 because it would start random functions, calls/ opening apps . I believe it was related to the buttons on the bottom as I noticed it only started doing it after one of the buttons stuck . I freed the button up but after that , it started doing crazy things.This sounds a lot like the experiences you are having. Not to say its same issue but it was not a roaming issue at all. I was running a stock rom , so I wasn't worried about ROM causing problem. A few days later I have a nice new shiny TP2 after going through tech support. Hassle free and easy once you get to tier 2 tech. BTW I also had an issue with the mic not picking up my voice when placing calls about 20 percent of the time after this stuff started happening. Good Luck

2kmy477 02-07-2010 12:39 PM

I have this screen turning on by itself on all my WM phones since PPC6700,I believe it's radio thing,the reason i say this is because,if i stand next to a traffic light,when the light changes from red to green or whatever,I noticed my phone backlight turned on right away,or when a train arrive at the station or just pass by,the damm screen will turn on almost instantly,my friends both have a BB and a dump phone stand next to me(Sprint phones)never have this problem,i'm so frustrated w/this,don't know if other none HTC WinMo phones have experienced this?

midnightsrealm 02-07-2010 04:21 PM

I don't think it's radio related, as it does it no matter where I am. Just sitting in my room at my desk working, my neck gets tired because I automatically look over at it when it turns on...and it turns on a lot.

Also, even when I "Lock my Device" and turn the screen off, it will light up often too...

And even when it's plugged in, it lights up often.

I do not have a magnetic case either...no case in fact.

This is just really frustrating, and not sure what to do. Sprint techs are idiots, took them 3 weeks to fix my texting issue which time stamped all incoming texts as the year 2016.
..I'm actually sick of calling them and they probably have a star (*) next to my name in their computer saying that they're sick of me calling.

Anyhow, does anyone have any idea as to what settings I could maybe fool with? It's also definitely not roaming because I tried simply turning roam off which didn't fix a thing.

Thanks you guys! :headbang:

ChrisH09 02-07-2010 04:32 PM

Try disableing the Time Syncronization in on the phone. I noticed this same issue with my TP2 and when in and disabled that setting. Basically it seems the phone sync's with the networks time and wakes the screen up..it's not really a fix but it seems to cure some of the screen turning on issues.

midnightsrealm 02-07-2010 09:13 PM

Hey guys, tried a lot, even disabling the Time Sync as suggested in the last post...also turned off roaming and roaming notifications.....but the backlight is still turning on randomly...

Does anyone have any other thoughts/suggestions as to what settings I could toy with? Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisH09 (Post 1548364)
Try disableing the Time Syncronization in on the phone. I noticed this same issue with my TP2 and when in and disabled that setting. Basically it seems the phone sync's with the networks time and wakes the screen up..it's not really a fix but it seems to cure some of the screen turning on issues.

lefty11 02-08-2010 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midnightsrealm (Post 1548931)
Hey guys, tried a lot, even disabling the Time Sync as suggested in the last post...also turned off roaming and roaming notifications.....but the backlight is still turning on randomly...

Does anyone have any other thoughts/suggestions as to what settings I could toy with? Thanks!

while you may think all the techs are idiots, they are the ones who can get you an exchange unit in a matter of a day or two... Maybe it's possible you have a defective unit? I think the easiest way to try to get this fixed right would be an exchange of the unit. Only trying to help you here. It's hard to fix a problem that seems to have no apparent cause and does not happen 100 percent of the time. It seems as if it happens oftn enough that a new unit would be viable option and since your phone is under a year old , it costs nothing to get an advanced exchange. At the worst, if the new unit has same issue then its obviously something that has been added or modded. good luck

Aleki 02-12-2010 03:33 AM

I'm pretty certain it's radio related. Keep an eye on the signal strength next time it does that and you might see what I mean.
I live in a well insulated house, and I find my Ev signal bounces from full to 1x every so often. It usually illuminates the screen when the phone reconnects to Ev.
I suggested to use the lock-screen so you dont accidentally dial out. Plus, the screen blacks out under lock.