PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2010, 11:01 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul, TP2, Vogue, HD2(Android 2.2.1/WP7)
Carrier: Sprint

Mike G. is keeping up the good workMike G. is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Backlight Turns On Randomly! HELP!

I'm pretty sure the problem has been resolved by now, but I thought I would ask a couple questions. Does the phone only wake up randomly or does the screen turn off randomly too? My TP2 has been acting real funny lately, turning off the screen on it's own randomly while still recognizing what is being pressed while it's off. It turns itself back on when it wants to. I've flash danced like twice and have performed multiple hard resets to no avail. When I flashed it to the latest BigMaxSense rom, I thought the issue stopped, but during typing a text while the phone was charging it started happening again. This has been a issue across all 4 different roms I've flashed lately.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:45 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Nexus S - E3GT - Epic 3G
Carrier: SERO $30

quick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G. View Post
I'm pretty sure the problem has been resolved by now, but I thought I would ask a couple questions. Does the phone only wake up randomly or does the screen turn off randomly too? My TP2 has been acting real funny lately, turning off the screen on it's own randomly while still recognizing what is being pressed while it's off. It turns itself back on when it wants to. I've flash danced like twice and have performed multiple hard resets to no avail. When I flashed it to the latest BigMaxSense rom, I thought the issue stopped, but during typing a text while the phone was charging it started happening again. This has been a issue across all 4 different roms I've flashed lately.
Few things I would try:

1. Use kbdcontrol to reassign the power key to something else, or just nothing. You may not be pressing it but it's possible that's it's making contact intermittently causing your problem. This is assuming you're going into standby and not just screen off mode (your post is a bit unclear)

2. Try another battery

3. Open her up and make sure the ribbon cable is not loose in any way. I would do this immediately if you use the physicaly keyboard a lot like myself. It's pictured nicely in this thread along with disassembly instructions: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=87533
Old 09-07-2010, 03:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

chardog is keeping up the good workchardog is keeping up the good work

just lock your screen, I havent seen any fixes for this. I paid for pocketshield. You can get it for 10 bux, or even 7 bux if you look. it's a great light weight lock screen that's much better than stock. I just use the all black screen and auto unlock if there is light (I use a case). does everything I want it to, and can be configured unlike the stock.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul, TP2, Vogue, HD2(Android 2.2.1/WP7)

Mike G. is keeping up the good workMike G. is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick99si View Post
Few things I would try:

1. Use kbdcontrol to reassign the power key to something else, or just nothing. You may not be pressing it but it's possible that's it's making contact intermittently causing your problem. This is assuming you're going into standby and not just screen off mode (your post is a bit unclear)

2. Try another battery

3. Open her up and make sure the ribbon cable is not loose in any way. I would do this immediately if you use the physicaly keyboard a lot like myself. It's pictured nicely in this thread along with disassembly instructions: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=87533
Thanks for the suggestions, but just locking the device isn't going to fix the real problem. That will just prevent accidental screen presses, but it will not keep the phone's screen from flickering on and off by itself..

This is an example of my issue: say I'm typing a text message and the screen turns itself off, If i press the part of the screen where the on screen keyboard was, it still recognizes my presses as if the screen was on. To wake the phone up I have to press the power button twice or wait until it comes back on by itself.

Trying another battery would be a good option, I know that a damaged battery can cause a phone to glitch. I would never open a phone that I have insurance on. I just wasn't sure if it could be a software issue. When I was using XYC's GTX rom, EnergyRom and another (I can't remember the name of), the screen would do this all throughout the day causing the battery to die in less than 5 hours. Now I'm on BigMaxSense rom and it only happens when the phone is plugged into the charger. If it's a hardware issue, why is the results different depending on which rom I'm using? I hope I explained myself better. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:07 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Nexus S - E3GT - Epic 3G
Carrier: SERO $30

quick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I don't see how locking the screen would help, and after reading your post, reassigning the power key wouldnt do any good either. I understood it as your phone going into suspend instead of just the screen turning off. Anyway, it definitely seems like a hardware issue because hundreds or even thousands of people have used the roms you've listed without widely reported screen power issues.. The recent change in symptoms may have easily been caused by a gentle shock or firm press on the keyboard (I'm still thinking it's a loose ribbon cable).

Maybe it's just me, but I hate going for problems, waiting for 2 hours, only to be told that it's all normal and they were unable to duplicate the issue. If you're at all tech savvy with a couple of small screwdrivers, you'll be able to fix it yourself and avoid inheriting somebody else's problems when they stick you with a refurb

Otherwise, it's worth flashing back to stock and see if it continues now + find a way to make it happen on demand for Sprint's benefit.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

chardog is keeping up the good workchardog is keeping up the good work

I have mr x rom, and it does occasionally turn on just simply sitting on its own, but it's very rare. the reason for the lockscreen software is so that it turns of relatively quick if it does turn on for no reason. pretty sure it's not a hardware issue.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

camtah is keeping up the good workcamtah is keeping up the good work

It happens to me quite frequently. When it happens it seems that the phone goes into roaming mode. Not surprising for me as I live in a poor Sprint signal area.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:45 AM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick99si
I don't see how locking the screen would help, and after reading your post, reassigning the power key wouldnt do any good either. I understood it as your phone going into suspend instead of just the screen turning off. Anyway, it definitely seems like a hardware issue because hundreds or even thousands of people have used the roms you've listed without widely reported screen power issues.. The recent change in symptoms may have easily been caused by a gentle shock or firm press on the keyboard (I'm still thinking it's a loose ribbon cable).

Maybe it's just me, but I hate going for problems, waiting for 2 hours, only to be told that it's all normal and they were unable to duplicate the issue. If you're at all tech savvy with a couple of small screwdrivers, you'll be able to fix it yourself and avoid inheriting somebody else's problems when they stick you with a refurb

Otherwise, it's worth flashing back to stock and see if it continues now + find a way to make it happen on demand for Sprint's benefit.
I agree flash the shipped rom and see if the issue can be replicated and then you'll know if it is a hardware problem or not. It sure sounds like it.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Tags
backlight, backlight issues, backlight turns on