PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2010, 10:46 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

xwerkerx is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Help with ROM updating needed.

I've some friends who have put WM6.5 on their HTC Touch Pro 2. I have the same service with the same carrier, however, I am unable to install this on my PPC. Surprisingly, even with their help. I seem to be experiencing some pretty unique hag-ups while attempting this upgrade. During the process I usually get an error that says the connection between the PC and PPC has been lost. I do not believe this is from any fault of my own. Since this disconnection error happens at different times during the process as I continually attempt it.

The newest happens when I try to complete the unlocking process with the HardSPL software. I am connected with WMDC, I start up the unlocker process, then WMDC closes & the PPC suddenly goes off. I have to remove the battery, replace it, then power on to get back to normal operation. Sometimes this doesn't happen until I get as far as the progress bar screen with the PPC being at the bootloader screen. At this point I get the disconnection error and the PPC is stuck in bootloader mode. So I have to remove the battery, replace it, and power on again for normal operation.

This same thing happens when I try to upgrade to WM 6.5. I thought this might be that the PPC needed to be unlocked to allow me to install the software. However, as metioned, this same thing happens when attempting to run the unlocker.

I will greatly appreciate any advice on this problem. I suspect that the service provider is behind this hold up. Does anyone know why this is or could be happening?
Old 02-06-2010, 11:01 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

davidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to davidetkin511
Re: Help with ROM updating needed.

you say wmdc closes and the device turns off. try letting it stay like that, it is probably in bootloader

Old 02-06-2010, 11:14 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

xwerkerx is a n00b

WMDC closes, device turns off, right when I get to the first screen where you check the box to confirm you have gone through a checklist of things to do before proceeding. I check the box, click the next button and the sound notification on the PC makes the noise it would make if you just reached over and removed the USB connection in the middle of something. Then of course, I get the error(260) message that the connection is not there.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:21 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

xwerkerx is a n00b

even more wierd......once the error message happens and I choose to cancel the process, when I unplug the device to remove the battery, replace the battery, and power up, the same warning sound goes off on the pc again. So it says the connection was lost, but minutes later when I unplug the USB I get the same sound as if the PC recognized it had just been unplugged.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Thunderbolt

krusty46 is becoming a great contributor

Mine always seems to drop a connection while flashing, but always works the 2nd time around (after I pull the battery). I blame WMDC (Windows7) as I have no problem flashing with XP on my laptop. Also, try a different USB port. I sometimes have better luck with ports built into the motherboard (back of case) as opposed to the wired ones on the front of the computer case. Just suggestions.
Try flashing to the stock Verizon 6.5 ROM and see if that works. It's actually pretty decent and atleast if you brick your phone, you can blame Verizon (can you?).
Old 02-11-2010, 10:15 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

xwerkerx is a n00b

I've only been trying to flash the stock version of 6.5. I am running windows 7 though. So I will try it on the PC with XP on it. As for the USB ports, there are 4 on my laptop. 2 on the right and 2 on the left. I have tried one on each side, not particularly each of the 4 though. I thought about that 2nd time around suggestion, but I've tried it 5 or six times consecutively; after removing battery to start over, etc; but the same things happen. The only difference through different attempts is how far through the process I get before the connection is dropped. Sometimes get as far as the progress bar window, but never any progress. I'm going to attempt it on the XP machine, then post with the results.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:02 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Bell

the-wrangler is becoming a PPCGeeks regularthe-wrangler is becoming a PPCGeeks regularthe-wrangler is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via MSN to the-wrangler

let us know how you make out mate..ive got a few buddies who seem to have a problem with windows 7 flashing and tethering...i use xp and have no problems, and need a serious upgrade but am a lil worried with the windows 7 funks ive been hearing about. as much as i really like the 7 interface, i dont wanna laptop that wont flash or tether...thanks mate, good luck and please post your results
Old 02-11-2010, 11:12 PM
Laying low in smoke
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: sprint

hypeo is halfway to VIP status based on rephypeo is halfway to VIP status based on rephypeo is halfway to VIP status based on rephypeo is halfway to VIP status based on rephypeo is halfway to VIP status based on rephypeo is halfway to VIP status based on rephypeo is halfway to VIP status based on rephypeo is halfway to VIP status based on rephypeo is halfway to VIP status based on rephypeo is halfway to VIP status based on rephypeo is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I've been running W7 for a while with no problems flashing my phones or staying connected. Maybe the sync wire has a short on it. Try swapping cables first.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:33 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

xwerkerx is a n00b

This seems to be the consistent thing: Once the device starts to enter bootloader, the windows mobile device center closes, and that is when the connection is lost. So if there is a way or a setting to keep windows mobile device center open, then I'm guessing that would be a start. Once that connection is gone, the PC assumes you have unplugged the device from the computer. Technically, while the device is being flashed, I could see how the PC recognizes it as not being there. After all, if the device is not in contact with the WMDC then there is no connection. I'm no software expert, but that seems to be the simple logic. However, if that were always the case, I guess no one would be able to flash their device.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2