PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Question for all those who have upgraded from TP1 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=109026)

kernel610 02-02-2010 12:54 AM

Question for all those who have upgraded from TP1

I'm considering upgrading from my current TP1 to a TP2 but I'm wondering if its worth the upgrade. I was lucky enough to barely be effected by the many effects of the TP. I've had the phone since it came out for Sprint in October 2008 and since then I only had to replace it once because my power button was sticking a little.

Anyways, is the upgrade worth it? What big advantages are there to the TP2 other than the bigger screen? I've heard the phone runs a lot better, but it's the same hardware as the TP1 isn't it? So from what I would think is that maybe the stock ROM runs smoother, but with new ROMs it'll all run the same, right? I know the camera doesn't have the flash which I will kind of miss because I liked the flashlight feature, but how is the camera quality? I know its still 3.2megapixel, but I remember initial reviews were saying that the quality was actually worse than the TP1 even though it was a similar camera in the phone. What about battery life? Any changes in battery life that you have noticed since it has the bigger screen? Does the cell radio seem to be more or less powerful using the same radio firmware?

Really any suggestions will be helpful. I've searched the other threads and paged through the main forum but never found anything comparing them recently, just more when the TP2 first came out. So I apologize if this is a duplicate thread, but I'd like to see everyone's feedback after using the phones for a few months. Thanks!

meechieervin 02-02-2010 01:25 AM

Re: Question for all those who have upgraded from TP1

i really like it i read how someone said the hardware ran fast as the tp1,but i dont know what htc did but this phone rocks the screen is bigger,sounds better and it seems like it just runs better i also miss the flash but i really dont use the camera that much but the pictures look about the same from the tp1.one thing you was asking was about the battery,i get through the whole day if i still had the tp1 i had to charge it 2-3 times a day that alone is a big deal for me.if you want go to sprint or tmobile and try it out for yourself i think sprint gives you 30 days and tmobile gives you 14 days

Syph3r 02-02-2010 01:28 AM

Some of the improvements you will obviously notice right off the bat are:

1. The larger screen (Its really beautiful)
2. Better battery life (Touch Pro1 = 8-10hrs, Touch Pro2 = 12-14hrs or there abouts) Just to give you an idea
3. Better build quality, doesnt jiggle when slid open, its solid and feels like it clicks into place when slid out, unlike touch pro1
4. Tilt feature, comes in handy

Some things you might not notice:

1. Keyboard is space out so nicely, its the best keybord on any smartphone I have ever tried. It really is the best out on the market right now.
2. Prox Sensor
3. zoom bar (LOVE IT, use it all the time)
4. The speakerphone is the BEST EVER (Loud and clear all the time, truly a confrence phone)

Those are just a few things that set it appart from the touch pro1. I have to say, things like the flash you wont miss. In fact the only thing I remember using it for was a flashlight, it sucked as a flash for the camera. The biggest deal is the screen and the battery life, with more working space its a dream to browse the web on this thing and the battery life is 2X better than the Pro1.

For me its an obvious choice and recommend.

The only thing I really have to complain about with it is sometimes the sluggish 528Mhz processor rears its ugly head and can lag just like the touch pro1 did but its not as bad. Wish it had a snapdragon and captive screen for pinching n' stuff but overall I like it.

If you can get the phone for cheaper than 349 I say do it but I would have a hard time letting go that much after a mail in rebate for watcha get when phones like the HD2 and Nexus One are right around the corner ( I got my touch pro 2 for free :D )

Hope this helps!

knives of ice 02-02-2010 02:40 AM

i love the phone, but the one thing i hate is having to use the touchscreen to scroll. there is no button you can use for down to move down the screen. i liked using the wheel on the side with the mogul to do that, then with the touch pro you could use the down button at least. now its all touch screen and its really hard for me to get used to.

muyoso 02-02-2010 02:54 AM

First of all, the screen is just amazing. You won't understand it until you are holding both phones in your hand, but no amount of numbers or pictures online can do it justice. It makes the phone and is the main reason to switch. The phone runs much smoother than the TP1. It SUCKS that they got rid of the flashlight and it SUCKS that they used a different bluetooth stack so MobileRemote no longer works. Other than those 2 gripes, this phone is amazing. The keyboard is WAY better than the TP1, and OMFG the screen is beautiful.

poetik 02-02-2010 05:07 AM

Just do it man,

When I went to my TP2 from my TP1 there was no doubt in my mind to ever switch back. The massive screen size and the keyboard were the main deciding factors. I'm sure everyone that posts on this thread will basically say the same thing. Sure there are cons like the lack of a flash/flashlight but the pros heavily outweigh the cons.

HBOOT 02-02-2010 05:28 AM

Kernel:I too had one TP which I still have and it rocks, and also I had the on/off switch (upper screen) replaced once and that was it, TP rules.
However TP2 rocks way harder my friend, as all the peeps said, bigger screen, better battery life.....all true. If you had your TP for over a year, go ahead man you deserve something better get your self a TP2:mrgreen:

mikedboyd 02-02-2010 05:30 AM

My wife has a Diamond. After several months with my TP2, I am still just giddy when I see her phone and mine by each other. it's like hers is from a prior technology age. It's just that much difference. It makes more difference since she's pretty much stock and I keep upgrading my ROM, etc., but still, the difference is HUGE.

2kidz 02-02-2010 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syph3r (Post 1534083)
Some of the improvements you will obviously notice right off the bat are:

1. The larger screen (Its really beautiful)
2. Better battery life (Touch Pro1 = 8-10hrs, Touch Pro2 = 12-14hrs or there abouts) Just to give you an idea
3. Better build quality, doesnt jiggle when slid open, its solid and feels like it clicks into place when slid out, unlike touch pro1
4. Tilt feature, comes in handy

Some things you might not notice:

1. Keyboard is space out so nicely, its the best keybord on any smartphone I have ever tried. It really is the best out on the market right now.
2. Prox Sensor
3. zoom bar (LOVE IT, use it all the time)
4. The speakerphone is the BEST EVER (Loud and clear all the time, truly a confrence phone)

Those are just a few things that set it appart from the touch pro1. I have to say, things like the flash you wont miss. In fact the only thing I remember using it for was a flashlight, it sucked as a flash for the camera. The biggest deal is the screen and the battery life, with more working space its a dream to browse the web on this thing and the battery life is 2X better than the Pro1.

For me its an obvious choice and recommend.

The only thing I really have to complain about with it is sometimes the sluggish 528Mhz processor rears its ugly head and can lag just like the touch pro1 did but its not as bad. Wish it had a snapdragon and captive screen for pinching n' stuff but overall I like it.

If you can get the phone for cheaper than 349 I say do it but I would have a hard time letting go that much after a mail in rebate for watcha get when phones like the HD2 and Nexus One are right around the corner ( I got my touch pro 2 for free :D )

Hope this helps!

hey...where is the zoom bar located on the sprint tp-2?

andimthejr 02-02-2010 09:59 AM

zoom bar is on front above call/menu/back/end buttons