PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 11:14 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

fishpony is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Question for all those who have upgraded from TP1

Quote:
Originally Posted by knives of ice View Post
i love the phone, but the one thing i hate is having to use the touchscreen to scroll. there is no button you can use for down to move down the screen. i liked using the wheel on the side with the mogul to do that, then with the touch pro you could use the down button at least. now its all touch screen and its really hard for me to get used to.
Agree 100% I almost wish there was some kind of dpad or optical sensor of some kind. Theres hacks to use the zoom bar but you still have to click on the screen to select. It would be nice to have the windows button as a select button since i never use it. I also came from the mogul and touch pro to this, I'm sure i will get use to it but it's driving me nuts.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:29 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint SERO

azurecrayon is just getting started

ive had my tp2 about 7 weeks and absolutely love it. these are the things that stand out to me:

pro:
screen - its huuuuuge. i could not go back to a smaller screen. for web and video its a must.
"screen off" feature in calls - ended my tp1 frustration with my cheek opening multiple programs during a phone call.
battery - i can go two days without a charge and am fine, my tp1 had to be charged every night or it was dead by morning.
keyboard - larger keys, better layout, smoother feel to them.
more stable - doesnt lag as much, havent seen any freezes or glitches at all really.
solid feel - it feels like a well built phone, much better than the tp1 in that regard.

cons:
no tab key - i miss this one a lot.
no flash - i use the camera a lot, the lack of flash is extremely aggravating, especially when you know the predecessor had it.
typing lag - i get funky lag when typing into the browser addy bar, no matter how fast i type, it only enters one letter per flash of the cursor. havent bothered to figure out whats causing that.
no scroll wheel/d-pad - i think this was another lacking feature missing from this descendant. i get annoyed trying to flick through the programs and end up accidentally opening one when trying to scroll around.
beveled edges and slanted sides - the phones beautiful, but a bitch to put a skin on. makes it hard to really protect your phone.

something im ambivalent about is the stock rom being a lot less winmo-ish. its set up out of the box to be more icon driven like the iphone, and less like a mini-computer os like we saw on the tp1. ive always been a windows girl tho, and been using winmo phones for nearly 3 years, so it was hard for me to get used to. havent bothered to flash a cooked rom or change it, so obviously doesnt annoy me too much.

overall i think htc made some mistakes in removing features that previous models had, but they did add some new features that, while not making up for the lacking ones, are enough to make the phone more desirable than the tp1.

not $349 more desirable, in my opinion. but i'd easily pay $200 for the upgrade.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:07 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Rhodium W (Sprint Touch Pro 2 CDMA)
Carrier: Sprint - SERO

mstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I've just moved from a TP1 to a TP2 over the past few weeks. I'll agree with most of the sentiments here about better screen and battery life, etc.

My biggest gripe is the low on-board memory, which was never the slightest issue on my TP1. On the 2, I'm a couple of dozen MB away from being completely full. I also miss the D-pad. Without it, some games are completely useless (Pac-Man and the Ms. come to mind). There's a hack to make the volume buttons work for up and down, which helps considerably.

There are some Bluetooth issues (well-known; do a search).

Overall, I'm quite happy with the switch.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: sprint

erawtik is becoming a great contributor

im so glad i have the tp2 it feels really good in your hand, the screen is really nice. And it is snappier compared to the tp1. I unlocked mine the first day and switch to a different rom and the only one i have found that everything works and is not laggy is calkulins. Battery is great i use mine minimal like couple few minute calles and a few text's and turn it on often to check time. And at the end of a work day i still have around 90% battery. The keyboard keys seem bigger and the way it slides seems to be better built. The sensor that turns the screen off when in a call while it is near your face and back on when you take it away is nice. I thought id miss the flash but havent so far there are flashlight progs for the phone that turns the screen all white which is good enough for no more than what i need a light for. The head phone jack is a big plus for me now i dont have to use that stupid adapter.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:55 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

garage_man is a n00b

Coming from a TP1 myself i can say that i couldn't go back to it. I know you said besides the screen but it is truly awesome. The resolution looks awesome. The lack of the d-pad on the front was a down, but you will get used to it in no time. It is so much faster than the original. It is the same hardware so i am not sure how it manages to pull ahead while having a better resolution. They keyboard is spectacular, i prefer to type on it more than my laptop. If you remember the battery life on the tp1 you will remember that about 9-12 hrs and its done. I can easily go 2 days with this thing. Thats listening to music on the bus for about 4 hrs a day, of course with the screen off the whole time. I txt a fair amount. So defiantly consider the upgrade if it is free. I wouldn't pay no 300.00 for it.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:17 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Treo 650/XV6700/Mogul/Diamond/TP/TP2

auburnmk is becoming a PPCGeeks regularauburnmk is becoming a PPCGeeks regularauburnmk is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I paid $200 for mine and absolutely love it. Worlds apart, no question about it, just do it. You'll never look back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurecrayon View Post
ive had my tp2 about 7 weeks and absolutely love it. these are the things that stand out to me:

pro:
screen - its huuuuuge. i could not go back to a smaller screen. for web and video its a must.
"screen off" feature in calls - ended my tp1 frustration with my cheek opening multiple programs during a phone call.
battery - i can go two days without a charge and am fine, my tp1 had to be charged every night or it was dead by morning.
keyboard - larger keys, better layout, smoother feel to them.
more stable - doesnt lag as much, havent seen any freezes or glitches at all really.
solid feel - it feels like a well built phone, much better than the tp1 in that regard.

cons:
no tab key - i miss this one a lot.
no flash - i use the camera a lot, the lack of flash is extremely aggravating, especially when you know the predecessor had it.
typing lag - i get funky lag when typing into the browser addy bar, no matter how fast i type, it only enters one letter per flash of the cursor. havent bothered to figure out whats causing that.
no scroll wheel/d-pad - i think this was another lacking feature missing from this descendant. i get annoyed trying to flick through the programs and end up accidentally opening one when trying to scroll around.
beveled edges and slanted sides - the phones beautiful, but a bitch to put a skin on. makes it hard to really protect your phone.

something im ambivalent about is the stock rom being a lot less winmo-ish. its set up out of the box to be more icon driven like the iphone, and less like a mini-computer os like we saw on the tp1. ive always been a windows girl tho, and been using winmo phones for nearly 3 years, so it was hard for me to get used to. havent bothered to flash a cooked rom or change it, so obviously doesnt annoy me too much.

overall i think htc made some mistakes in removing features that previous models had, but they did add some new features that, while not making up for the lacking ones, are enough to make the phone more desirable than the tp1.

not $349 more desirable, in my opinion. but i'd easily pay $200 for the upgrade.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

Westfire is just getting started

My original TP finally broke and they offered me a TP or TP2 as a replacement. I jumped on the TP2 and I must say, this phone is awesome. I was skeptical because most of the hardware is the same but like everyone said above, it just runs so much smoother. Plus, you can flash more ROMs that have the latest goodies you couldn't get on the TP.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:02 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVOlution
Carrier: Sprint Everything Plus - Fresh Evo 3.1.0.1

Journeyjeans is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJourneyjeans is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJourneyjeans is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJourneyjeans is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via Yahoo to Journeyjeans

I hate to sound like a broken record, but the TP2 really just IS faster than the TP1. I don't know how HTC did it, what tweaks they made, or what, but really, it is so smooth, almost like butter, with minimal "lag". And I genuinly mean that.

Some people say, like when I had my Mogul "oh this ROM is FAST, no this!!! Try This!!!"

Well, really, the TP2 is really faster than the TP1, and I have no fear of annoying slowdowns and crap when I'm doing smartphone wars with my friends that have Blackberry's and Iphones.

Something that piggybacks on the statement above, and that hasn't been mentioned yet, is how SENSITIVE the screen is. On my Diamond (I went through 3 of them), I always had to press harder on the screen than I ever did for any of my PalmOS phones.

When I got my Touch Pro, the screen was NOTICEABLY better, still had to press with somewhat pressure, but it was minor and could definitely get along fine.

So far with my TP2, this thing is so sensitive, just like my old PalmOS phones/pda's. Very nice!

I still miss my Touch Pro though, IMO, it is the better looking of the two (I LOVE Chrome), but I just found a couple of OEM Chrome Faceplates for cheap for the TP2, so I'll just slap that on and dye the back silver/grey
Old 02-03-2010, 12:05 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Threadstarter

kernel610 is just getting started

wow, thanks for the great response everyone. Well I think I'm going to join you all and be getting the TP2. Everyone talks about how much faster and smoother it is and I was wondering if that is with custom ROMs or if most of you are still using the stock ROM because it gets the job done. Thanks for all the input!
Old 02-03-2010, 12:15 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

Westfire is just getting started

I will say the limit amount of time I used the stock ROM it was still pretty slick compared to the TP1. I quickly flashed to use a ROM that has Sense 2.5 just because I like the latest things and it is still pretty slick. You really can't go wrong anyway you go from upgrading to a TP2.

Unless you like a D-pad and smaller screen.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Tags
compare, touch pro, tp1, tp2