PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Sceen light goes on and off during calls when touching your face (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=108955)

wdaniels2007 02-01-2010 02:30 PM

Sceen light goes on and off during calls when touching your face

I did a search and saw this mentioned a few times, but no real clear cut answers or fixes for it that I saw anyway. I'm using the stock rom from sprint and I've used other roms on the older phones, but trying to stick with the stock for the moment on theis touch pro 2. If anyone knows of a cab or even registry hack it would be appreciated.

iknight8 02-01-2010 02:33 PM

Re: Sceen light goes on and off during calls when touching your face

well the phone uses G-sensor to know when your face touches the phone the light goes off to conserve energy... otherwise it turns back on...
but what exactly is your question?
Thanx

jcookjr82 02-01-2010 02:34 PM

It's the proximity sensor to the left of the ear speaker. It's so when you're making a call in poor lighting or the dark, you can resume functionalty of the phone without having to press the power button. This is also useful when you are trying to take notes during a call.

Hope this helps!

darren.wlsn1 02-01-2010 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iknight8 (Post 1532340)
well the phone uses G-sensor to know when your face touches the phone the light goes off to conserve energy... otherwise it turns back on...
but what exactly is your question?
Thanx

lol, sorry thats funny, your close though.

wdaniels2007 02-01-2010 02:45 PM

Well, the question is how to turn it off. Turning off the G sensor fixes the issue or is that not true?

wdaniels2007 02-01-2010 02:47 PM

I just looked at the settings so I can see the g sensor only calibrates the device, so I'm assuming someone else has had an issue with this so is there some available cab or registry settings to keep the light on?

Eschelon 02-01-2010 02:52 PM

jcook is right. There is a proximity sensor by the ear speaker that senses when the phone is close to your face. I have the same problem when I hold the phone to my right ear; the sensor can't tell if it's close to my face or not so it keeps turning the screen off and on. Doesn't happen when I hold the phone to my left ear, though... But it doesn't really bother me too much

I don't think there is any fix. Sorry, champ

wdaniels2007 02-01-2010 02:54 PM

Eschelon thank you..Yeah, I realize why its happening, but I wasn't just wondering if there was a fix. If you guys don't know of one its fine I'll deal with it. Appreciate the feedback though.

Eschelon 02-01-2010 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdaniels2007 (Post 1532388)
Eschelon thank you..Yeah, I realize why its happening, but I wasn't just wondering if there was a fix. If you guys don't know of one its fine I'll deal with it. Appreciate the feedback though.

There's a slight chance that a registry edit could be found to disable the sensor, but often times hardware functions aren't in the registry so I think that such a registry key will likely never be found

I could be wrong, though... Here's to hoping for your sake! :thumbleft:

bastian74 02-01-2010 03:03 PM

I've been curious to know how the proximity sensor works. Is there an IR LED in there or something? Theres clearly more to it than simply a light sensor because it can tell when you pull the phone away from you in the pitch black.

It has nothing to do with the G sensor.