PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 12:41 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6700>6800
Carrier: Sprint

mbartels is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Trip to Mexico (Sprint). $0.002/KB. Too much?

It looks like I'll spend $.002/KB data while I'm in Mexico on the Sprint network, but the good news is the CMDA will work fine - no need to switch to GSM. My question is this - how much data do these phones use? I don't want to go broke down there for a week!

I will not use the phone to call anybody and will not do any downloading of videos, pictures, etc... I'll keep the phone off most of the time and will download emails about twice a day. I usually get about 60 emails per day and will obviously change my settings to only have the messages downloaded - not attachments.

Anybody smarter than me (that's all of you) willing to estimate how much data I would use?

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2010, 01:05 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Rhodium W (Sprint Touch Pro 2 CDMA)
Carrier: Sprint - SERO

mstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Trip to Mexico (Sprint). $0.002/KB. Too much?

Use the wifi in your hotel!

If there is some reason you must use the phone network, only you can estimate how much data you'll use, not us. That depends on a number of factors, including what things you have running that automatically use the network. Examples include social networking, IM, MyPhone, weather and stock updates, etc. To compute how much you'll be transferring for the emails, check the size of a day's worth of emails to get an average, then multiply that by the number of days you'll be there. I doubt anyone can estimate the size of your emails without seeing them.

I've got TelCel SIM's that I used to use in a couple of cheap Motorola L2's when we are in Mexico and will be using in our Touch Pro 2's there in a few weeks. It's quite cheap for local calls, but I've never used data on the phone network there. That's what wifi at the hotel is for! In fact, I've installed MoDaCo nodata on both our phones to ensure that we won't accidentally end up using any cellular data services.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:09 AM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 3

Mojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on rep

$.002...wow that's really cheap! i tried to check sprint's FAQ for the phone data plan, but all it said was free trial for i-den in Mexico, unless i was looking at the wrong screen...LOL.

but anyways...here was my calculation. i based it on an average of 10k per message and based on the info you provided above....

strictly going by what you said of not doing attachments and just the messages, im guessing it'll average about 10k...but then again, you're the only one who will really know how big the message is since it's your email. but here goes...

10k for 1 email @ $.002 = $.02
60 emails a day @ $.02 = $1.20
1 day @ $1.20 for one week (7 days) = $8.40

hope that helps...had to bust out and dust off my adding machine for ya!...LOL

Never argue with a stupid person. First, they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!

Last edited by Mojary; 02-01-2010 at 01:13 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:28 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Epic 4G

ponicg is keeping up the good workponicg is keeping up the good work

Make sure it's really $0.002/KB!!! That is, in writing/recorded convo, make the rep say "Point Oh Oh Two Dollars per Kilobyte" etc... Why am I being anal about him saying it?

... because Verizon is retarded.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/80540476/

I can't find the original, so this is the meat of it though.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:36 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Shift 4G

haus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuff

Doesn't Sprint offer an international data roaming add-on that would protect you from any data overages? If you added it for a week or two maybe it would give you peace of mind and the cost wouldn't be prohibitive (considering the risk of your phone connecting down there and racking up some unexpected charges). I may be totally wrong about the add-on...not sure...
Old 02-01-2010, 01:46 AM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 3

Mojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponicg View Post
Make sure it's really $0.002/KB!!! That is, in writing/recorded convo, make the rep say "Point Oh Oh Two Dollars per Kilobyte" etc... Why am I being anal about him saying it?

... because Verizon is retarded.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/80540476/

I can't find the original, so this is the meat of it though.
ROFLMFAO!!! wow...i wonder how well those verizon CSR's did on their math subjects when they were in grade school?!?!?! so based on them...$.002 and
c.002 are two whole different amounts huh? the guy was right though...they were doing the math incorrectly. the reps were multiplying a fraction of a number with a whole number. they needed to divide their result by 100 as a last step into the solution to give the correct amount he owed. but im still amazed at the fact the vzw reps think there's .002 dollars and .002 cents are two totally different amounts!!

mrbartels....heed the warning and pray you do not go through what this poor guy went through!![-o<
Old 02-01-2010, 02:58 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

fastmike is keeping up the good workfastmike is keeping up the good work

On a recent trip to Canada, my friend enrolled in some roaming data package for ~$80/mo. We were only there for a few days, so he canceled it afterwards and they just pro-rated it.

That would be worth looking into if you're going to be there for only a few days. I found a laptop data roaming plan which is $110/mo for 5GB/mo, but there might be phone data roaming plan which is cheaper.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:39 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

wolfson is a n00b

Sprint has a $40 a month unlimited international data plan, that they will prorate for just the days you plan to use it.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:49 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Palm Pre and proud of it!

Rafy0003 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRafy0003 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRafy0003 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRafy0003 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via MSN to Rafy0003

I used to wrok for Sprint and 2 cent's will get expensive. It is only 1 cent more than having no data plan on your phone and using it. International data does not have a limit so if you use 150$ in data you will have to cough it up. I would defintly consider a wifi hotelaid sim card.. Do not go for the 2 cent daga. The phone connect's to the internet for anythinjg and I have seen many people come in with ridiculos amout's of Data charge. Either do wifi or buy a prep
Old 02-01-2010, 10:14 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint/Employee

c0011j is becoming a great contributor

somehow I think he meant .02 and not .002

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2