PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 10:27 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: ppc 6800
Carrier: Sprint

benvino is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Trip to Mexico (Sprint). $0.002/KB. Too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfson View Post
Sprint has a $40 a month unlimited international data plan, that they will prorate for just the days you plan to use it.
I just went to Mexico and added Sprint World Wide Data $40 (prorated) for week and ended up paying $1.70 a day for unlimited data. I used WMWifi Router and Slingbox and rocked out 3 gigs in a week. The Hotel internet was $10 per day.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:36 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Rhodium W (Sprint Touch Pro 2 CDMA)
Carrier: Sprint - SERO

mstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvino View Post
I just went to Mexico and added Sprint World Wide Data $40 (prorated) for week and ended up paying $1.70 a day for unlimited data. I used WMWifi Router and Slingbox and rocked out 3 gigs in a week. The Hotel internet was $10 per day.
Hmm. That's a pretty sweet rate. $1.70/day has got to be worth it.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:11 PM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 3

Mojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvino View Post
that's sweet! gonna have to try this when i go to the Philippines this coming spring. i can just use my phone's data plan to use gvoice to call stateside.

Never argue with a stupid person. First, they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

steveholtam is keeping up the good worksteveholtam is keeping up the good work

I was in Mexico last year and just checking my email, sending a few texts and a couple of calls cost me about $80. Our phones are always trying to get data, and if they find a connection, you will get billed. The World plan seems like the way to go. Can this be added via the web?
Old 02-01-2010, 05:11 PM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 3

Mojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on rep

i think you have to call sprint to tell them. because their website said to contact them if you are going outside the country and will need international service added to your plan.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:06 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Rhodium W (Sprint Touch Pro 2 CDMA)
Carrier: Sprint - SERO

mstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojary View Post
that's sweet! gonna have to try this when i go to the Philippines this coming spring. i can just use my phone's data plan to use gvoice to call stateside.
How do you have this set up?

Google Voice normally operates over phone connections so without some tweaking, you'll have to pay for the call when GV calls your cellphone to connect.

I read that this can be done with sufficient fiddling around, but haven't pinched my nose and jumped yet.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:24 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2

frazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0011j View Post
somehow I think he meant .02 and not .002
No, he meant $0.002. I'm not sure why people assume Sprint is so expensive. When it comes to data roaming costs I find Sprint to be the cheapest option there is (as long as you stay CDMA). It is often cheaper ROAMING than it would be domestically in the country you're in (like Canada where I frequent).

You can check the Mexican data roaming costs directly at Sprint.com...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbartels View Post
It looks like I'll spend $.002/KB data while I'm in Mexico on the Sprint network, but the good news is the CMDA will work fine - no need to switch to GSM. My question is this - how much data do these phones use? I don't want to go broke down there for a week!

I will not use the phone to call anybody and will not do any downloading of videos, pictures, etc... I'll keep the phone off most of the time and will download emails about twice a day. I usually get about 60 emails per day and will obviously change my settings to only have the messages downloaded - not attachments.

Anybody smarter than me (that's all of you) willing to estimate how much data I would use?

Thanks!
Your best option is to either add the international data roaming addon (which caps your daily spend roaming) and you can use your phone just as freely as you do now (as recommended above). This can be added by calling Sprint International Services @ 1-888-226-7212, option 2 before leaving the US.

The alternative option is to use WiFi only...

If you are planning to download 10 emails a day on average I'd just opt for the unlimited roaming addon. It will cost around $2.50 a day and allow you to not have to cringe on how much bandwidth is being "wasted" in header and other backend communication between your phone and the server.

You can ensure your phone doesn't cause you any surprise roaming charges by disabling data roaming period on it (if you choose the WIFi only option). This can be done in Phone->Menu->Options->CDMA Services->Roaming-> Hit "Never Ask" under Data Roam Guard and ensure "Allow Roaming" is UNCHECKED. That will prevent any app on the phone from creating a data connection.

Also, text messages are charged as DATA while roaming. Which is a VERY VERY good bonus. Making text messaging while roaming VERY cheap for you. As each text will cost you less than 1 cent compared to 35 cents + on AT&T or T-Mobile while roaming...

So there you have it...
Free Disposable Email: MyTrashMail
Old 02-01-2010, 07:46 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

XGuard04 is a n00b

If you want to be conservative. Check your current data usage (by logging onto sprint.com or viewing your bill) then divide by 30 days. Multiply by the amount of days you'll be there. Just like the math was done before.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6700>6800
Threadstarter

mbartels is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by XGuard04 View Post
If you want to be conservative. Check your current data usage (by logging onto sprint.com or viewing your bill) then divide by 30 days. Multiply by the amount of days you'll be there. Just like the math was done before.
Great idea - I didn't even think of that. I am averaging 11,817 kb per day which means I would use 82724 for the week. If my math is correct than means $165.45. It would actually be less b/c I'd have the phone off most of the time and would not download attachments but I totally agree with most of you that getting a plan added on temporarly makes the most sense. I'll call in and see what that would run.

We are staying at an all inclusive but the WIFI is like $20.00 daily and the reviews so the WIFI service is pretty spotty.

You guys are great. Thanks a ton for the help!
Old 02-01-2010, 10:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6700>6800
Threadstarter

mbartels is just getting started

Update:

I just called the number Frazell gave and the Sprint guy said they do not offer any type of international data plans on the Touch Pro 2, only a certain Blackberry. He said the only option is the per kb charge of "2 cents per kb" which sounds way more expensive than the $.002 posted on their web site. Either the site is wrong or he is. If it's 2 cents per kb and I would use 82724 kb for the week that would get awfully expensive. I'd rather pay $20.00 for WIFI to be safe in that case.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2