PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2010, 05:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: USCC

chevy454 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Does Wifi Router = Tethering?

A newb question, I know, but I found the Wifi Router cab over at XDA, and was wondering if my carrier (USC) will consider this the dreaded "tethering" or not?
Old 01-31-2010, 05:23 PM
Я да не ми фъфлиш, бе!
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

Eschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Re: Does Wifi Router = Tethering?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy454 View Post
A newb question, I know, but I found the Wifi Router cab over at XDA, and was wondering if my carrier (USC) will consider this the dreaded "tethering" or not?
Yes, it's tethering
Old 01-31-2010, 05:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: USCC
Threadstarter

chevy454 is just getting started

Doh! I figured as much...
Old 01-31-2010, 05:50 PM
Я да не ми фъфлиш, бе!

Eschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Do some searching on this forum and you'll see how to "stealth tether" so that your carrier can't tell you're doing it

All the custom ROMs do this. I'm fairly positive it works with USCC as well, but you'll want to verify that first
Old 01-31-2010, 06:21 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

nayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

i have a question...

i have a company phone so i do not have access to the bill to see if i am being charged.

my phone has an unlimited data plan - if i use the wi-fi router am i being billed EXTRA ???

i am assuming i should install MM's stealth tethering cab ???
Old 01-31-2010, 06:23 PM
Я да не ми фъфлиш, бе!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayr1482 View Post
i have a question...

i have a company phone so i do not have access to the bill to see if i am being charged.

my phone has an unlimited data plan - if i use the wi-fi router am i being billed EXTRA ???

i am assuming i should install MM's stealth tethering cab ???
You can either flash to Mighty's ROM (or any of the other custom ROMs, as well) since they have stealth (undetected) tethering built right in... or you can go to the thread below and install the files from the first post (be sure to read the whole thread so that you are up to speed on tethering):
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=96739
Old 01-31-2010, 06:39 PM
Regular 'Geeker

nayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

is everyone sure that wi-fi router is the same as tethering? reading in that thread posted above someone posted a SS of what pops up on their browser when trying to tether with VzW.

i have used wi-fi router but NEVER gotten that screen from VzW...

can someone that has Verizon and used wi-fi router comment?

or maybe i dont get that screen because i have unlimited data or ???
Old 01-31-2010, 06:51 PM
Я да не ми фъфлиш, бе!

Quote:
is everyone sure that wi-fi router is the same as tethering? reading in that thread posted above someone posted a SS of what pops up on their browser when trying to tether with VzW.

i have used wi-fi router but NEVER gotten that screen from VzW...

can someone that has Verizon and used wi-fi router comment?

or maybe i dont get that screen because i have unlimited data or ???
Not getting that screen from VZW is a GOOD thing... If that screen pops up, then it means they can see you tethering and want to charge you for it.

If the VZW screen doesn't pop up, then you are 'stealth tethering'
Old 01-31-2010, 07:21 PM
Regular 'Geeker

I read the entire post about tethering...

From what I could read - and I could be wrong - tethering has NEVER been detected via wifi router...
Can anyone confirm this?

It seemed to me, only people tethering via usb were caught ???

Also - I have noticed 2 files.

The ICS WModem fix cab
As well as the "Hot Fix" cab posted in the tethering discussion.

Are people installing BOTH of these files ???
Old 01-31-2010, 07:34 PM
Я да не ми фъфлиш, бе!

Quote:
I read the entire post about tethering...

From what I could read - and I could be wrong - tethering has NEVER been detected via wifi router...
Can anyone confirm this?

It seemed to me, only people tethering via usb were caught ???

Also - I have noticed 2 files.

The ICS WModem fix cab
As well as the "Hot Fix" cab posted in the tethering discussion.

Are people installing BOTH of these files ???
Correct.

I know you're hoping to hear from someone besides me, but if you install those two files, then run wifi router, you will not be caught.

Trust me. I'm on Verizon as well, and have used this same method without a single problem.

But if you're still worried, flash to MightyMike's custom ROM and you can be sure you're tethering 100% undetected since he cooks the files into his ROM automatically for you

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2