PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   ebook reader software for tp2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=108543)

miketab 01-29-2010 11:29 AM

ebook reader software for tp2

After hearing about the ipad, it got me thinking. The touch pro 2 has really sharp and big screen. why not use it for a e reader as well and not waste my time thinking about caring a huge piece with me everywhere or books for that matter.

Is there any good software to e reader that works well and as a large selection of book to download/ buy ?

austin420 01-29-2010 11:33 AM

Re: ebook reader software for tp2

its funny that theres a kindle ad at the top of this page.
edit: its a nexus one ad now. i thought google ads really had their isht toghether there for a min.

skeptikal 01-29-2010 11:39 AM

heh it was a kindle ad for me as well...i think google ads are spot on...the post mentioned the tp2 and ereader and google ads brought the nexus one and kindle...google may be the new big brother ;)

As far as reading on the TP2 is concerned, I have tried reading books in PDF format and it was kind of a fail for me. I do however read comics on the TP2 all the time and that is an almost perfect experience. If the iPad brings full color books, magazines and graphic novels? I'm there. Also, it would be nice to be able to minimize said book, mag, or comic as well...where's the multitasking? I should mention I usually drink hater-aid when it comes to Apple products but this one may bring me over to the dark side.

Paragon 01-29-2010 12:17 PM

There are several very good ereaders ofr Windows Mobile that have been around for years. Below are just a couple of them.

I have been reading on WM devices for ten years. In that time I have read hundreds of books. I now refuse to pickup a real paper book unless absolutely necessary

http://www.ereader.com/
http://www.mobipocket.com/en/HomePag...sp?Language=EN

lisat96 01-29-2010 12:40 PM

+1 for eReader. Fictionwise.com or eReader.com have a huge selection of ebooks available. Either site has a couple of free books that you could download to check out the program. I've been reading on my phone or PPC for years. The only drawback is that it's hard to read in the sun. If you're looking for beach reading, you'd probably want to consider something like the Kindle, otherwise you can't beat free software on a device that you're carrying around anyway.

MadSquabbles 01-29-2010 01:31 PM

i've tried just about every ebook reader on winmo. none of them did what i wanted and i ended up getting a ipod touch and using stanza. i hate carrying 2 devices but until someone gets a comparable winmo app i'll keep my touch.

what stanza does that i love is that can organize books within the app. i can make collections and put them in chronological order. all the other apps only go by alphabetical order and no option to reorganize.

i really haven't tried any of the apps in the last few years as the ipod touch has been my main reader. if there is an app for winmo that allows organizing books within the app i'd really appreciate it.

oh, and it's gotta support epub - i've tried zulu and freda and don't like either for lack of the features above.

Paragon 01-29-2010 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadSquabbles (Post 1525881)
i've tried just about every ebook reader on winmo. none of them did what i wanted and i ended up getting a ipod touch and using stanza. i hate carrying 2 devices but until someone gets a comparable winmo app i'll keep my touch.

what stanza does that i love is that can organize books within the app. i can make collections and put them in chronological order. all the other apps only go by alphabetical order and no option to reorganize.

i really haven't tried any of the apps in the last few years as the ipod touch has been my main reader. if there is an app for winmo that allows organizing books within the app i'd really appreciate it.

oh, and it's gotta support epub - i've tried zulu and freda and don't like either for lack of the features above.

So your main criteria for an ereader is that it organizes book in chronological order? :scratch:

erikdrakon 01-29-2010 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skeptikal (Post 1525667)
heh it was a kindle ad for me as well...i think google ads are spot on...the post mentioned the tp2 and ereader and google ads brought the nexus one and kindle...google may be the new big brother ;)

As far as reading on the TP2 is concerned, I have tried reading books in PDF format and it was kind of a fail for me. I do however read comics on the TP2 all the time and that is an almost perfect experience. If the iPad brings full color books, magazines and graphic novels? I'm there. Also, it would be nice to be able to minimize said book, mag, or comic as well...where's the multitasking? I should mention I usually drink hater-aid when it comes to Apple products but this one may bring me over to the dark side.

What software are you using to read comicbooks? I read comic books on my pc in .cbr format and would love to be able to do so on my TP2

MadSquabbles 01-29-2010 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paragon (Post 1526006)
So your main criteria for an ereader is that it organizes book in chronological order? :scratch:

yep...

for instance, you got all the tom clancy jack ryan series, all the nick linnear series by v lustabder, all the bourne series, hannibal series, etc...

with stanza i can make a collection out of each set. with in each set i can manually arrange them so that i can read them in chron/published order without having to memorize what goes first or looking it up everytime i'm ready for a new read. i could make subfolder after subfolder and then rename all my books to have a 1, 2, 3 etc in front of them but why should i? calibre keeps the collection info and i can do it in stanza.

i can also display books by author, tags/categories, recently read, or recent downloads. stanza was the only reason why i bought the ipod touch - it had the best ebook reader that i could find plus it fit in my pocket. the kindle was my choice until i found stanza.

seems like there's a really nice ebook reader for android that may be as good as stanza. i forgot the name but it's a paid app for about $2 or free if you tolerate ads.

gizhola 01-30-2010 01:17 AM

I've been using Freda. Its a great freeware app for reading eBooks. It reads ePub (DRM-free), HTML and TXT format books and has a really nice touch screen interface.

You can find it here: www . jim-chapman . net / freda /

.: Sorry.. I'm not allowed to post links yet :.