PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2010, 07:15 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

Volknochi is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Are HTC phones known to lock up/freeze?

Hello all.

I'm new to this forum and have been studying/searching/perusing through these forums and all over the net because I'm looking to upgrade my phone (Samsung Rant) to an HTC Touch Pro2. However, I have a question that a friend has brought up.

He said that he heard from a guy at an AT&T store (altho I'm with Sprint) that the HTC phones are known to lock up. I was wanting to know if anyone knows if this is true or not.

I haven't seen anything on here saying that has happen but I was wanting to ask everyone else here for their remarks.

Thanks!
-Volk
Old 01-28-2010, 07:57 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

TMan11 is just getting started
Send a message via MSN to TMan11
Arrow Re: Are HTC phones known to lock up/freeze?

Hi, welcome to the forums first of all. Now the touch pro 2 i currently have never have had any lockups or freezes without a little help from me. So when you put custom ROMs and other such what, it could freeze up due to something just don't work together. so if i were you and you want to switch to a touch pro 2, i would do it.

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:28 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community
Re: Are HTC phones known to lock up/freeze?

They don't lock up any more/less than any other Windows device. Any Windows device whether it's a PC or a phone will run just fine if set up & maintained correctly.

My TP2 running a custom ROM never freezes up ever unless I do something stupid........

~John
Old 01-28-2010, 08:30 AM
you know ...
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D

meatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to meatgel

I don't think it has anything to do with HTC. My TP2 rarely locks up, and when it does it's because I was messing around. I have 2 daughters with Rants (who love them as well) and I'd say they have to reboot their phones due to issues just as much as I do. My husband and oldest daughter have Moments and they've had to reboot some, too. It's just technology.

Sprint Evo 3D! ...

Old 01-28-2010, 08:46 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Threadstarter

Volknochi is a n00b

Thank you all for your replies. I figured as much but still wanted to double-check. Better safe than sorry and all that jazz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatgel View Post
I have 2 daughters with Rants (who love them as well) and I'd say they have to reboot their phones due to issues just as much as I do.
On a side note: very true. My Rant has locked up a few times out of the blue for no reason. When I first got it, it was a great upgrade from an LG Rumor. Now, it's just a "phone".

Now, I wonder if I should have an HTC Touch Pro2 AND 32GB 3rd Gen iPod Touch or just an HTC TP2 (seems the WM smartphones are just as capable in apps and customizing).
Old 01-28-2010, 09:18 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO 4G-EVO 3D-Acer Iconia A500

gmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuff

i have a tp2 and a ipod touch and i need them both bc as of right now gaming sucks on windows mobile. maybe we'll see an improvement in gaming with wm7. but if you dont mind carrying both you should bc u dont want to waste your battery listening to music and playing games on your phone.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:23 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro 2

losplatanos is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to losplatanos Send a message via MSN to losplatanos Send a message via Yahoo to losplatanos

same as do all computers have freeze from windows 98 to windows 7

from my ppc 6700, mogul, touch pro and touch pro2
they all have freeze on me

everynow and then, especially if you planing on adding software to it
Old 01-28-2010, 09:43 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: htc evo3D

Sim-X knows their stuffSim-X knows their stuffSim-X knows their stuffSim-X knows their stuffSim-X knows their stuffSim-X knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to Sim-X Send a message via Yahoo to Sim-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmfeny View Post
i have a tp2 and a ipod touch and i need them both bc as of right now gaming sucks on windows mobile. maybe we'll see an improvement in gaming with wm7. but if you dont mind carrying both you should bc u dont want to waste your battery listening to music and playing games on your phone.
I have an ipod touch as well, I don't carry it around with me everywhere but love it at home. I use the DirecTV ap all the time if I see something I wanna record it's very fast at setting my dvr. Plus I can always connect my ipod via my phone if I need it to get online for a while. The ipod touch is just fast which I love. Yes it has downsides like no multi-tasking but the speed is better than anything I have seen on small device.

As far as the HTC's locking up, Mine was locking up for a while but after a few hard resets and flashes so far it seems a lot better.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:24 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

I also have a 2nd gen ipod touch.

I was hoping maybe I could finally dump the ipod when I got the TP2, but the touch still does some things way better than any WM system so I still use & love it for now.....

~John
Old 01-28-2010, 10:31 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo LTE

subzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to subzero1313 Send a message via MSN to subzero1313 Send a message via Yahoo to subzero1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton10 View Post
They don't lock up any more/less than any other Windows device. Any Windows device whether it's a PC or a phone will run just fine if set up & maintained correctly.

My TP2 running a custom ROM never freezes up ever unless I do something stupid........

~John
Quoted for truth. Ive had WinMo for 2 1/2 years, 3 different devices.

Mogul, great phone....for the 1st 6 months. After that, had constant crashes, freezes, all that. BUT it was my 1st WinMo phone. I added a few things here and there, but overall had no clue how to care for it

TP1, LOVED it. By now I knew a little more of WinMo. I added programs, modded files, etc. In the 10 months that I had it, I had maybe 5 soft resets(other then when I added stuff) and 0 hard resets.

TP2, love it even more. Started off modding a few things, but then went and starting flashing ROMs. Phone runs great, I hardly have problems, overall great phone.

In the end, I love WinMo and dont ever see myself switching. I hardly ever recommend WinMo to customers, UNLESS they seem to know what theyre doing. These phones require care, do that, and youll be fine.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2