PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2010, 11:04 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

Volknochi is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Are HTC phones known to lock up/freeze?

Excellent, thanks for all the feedback, guys.

I'll be keeping my iPoT, then. Plus, when I found that I can utilize a WinMo smartphone (after some 'tweaking') as a WiFi hotspot for my iPoT, I was more inclined to get the HTC TP2 (after hearing that the HTC phones have a big 'fanbase' of people modding it). Plus, I need a new phone anyways.

I wonder what capabilities of the HTC TP2 are, after some modding. Time for me to do some more browsing on this site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzero1313 View Post
In the end, I love WinMo and dont ever see myself switching. I hardly ever recommend WinMo to customers, UNLESS they seem to know what theyre doing. These phones require care, do that, and youll be fine.

Thankfully, I'm quite a bit tech-savvy so handling a WinMo phone won't put me off in the slightest.

Last edited by Volknochi; 01-28-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:48 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Evo, TP2

helirob is a n00b

I have 15 TP2s in my company. I asked the users and here's what I found: None of them have modified their ROM. All of them have added software and customizations. 3 of them have reported lockups (1, 1, and 2) for a total of 4 lockups. Only 2 of them are "power users" yet none of them have had to treat their TP2 any differently (than any other device they've had) to keep it running normally. 11 of them are 100% satisfied with their TP2 and would suggest it to other users. 2 would like to try "something else" and the other 2 said it was too much for them and said thay'd prefer something a little more basic.

These 15 users are salesmen and service engineers. They spend 90% of their time in the field and rely heavily on their phones.

I should also add that there are 6 Blackberry users as well. One BB user is 100% satisfied with his phone and the rest describe them as adequate. 3 of them have reported lockups. None of them have added software to their device.

I hope this info is useful. Take it for what it's worth.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

msh441 is keeping up the good workmsh441 is keeping up the good workmsh441 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to msh441 Send a message via Yahoo to msh441

I sort of have a different opinion on this one, as I have experienced my phone "locking up" in a way: It has shut off the screen several times and has failed to wake up when pushing the backlight button on the top of the phone (Verizon).

I have had this happen twice, vitually at random shortly after flashing from 6.1 to 6.5. I say random, because there was nothing activly running in the background and nothing (to my knowledge) taxing memory in any way.

Once I had a series of resets/lock-ups occur where it seemed there was nothing I could do to prevent this condition: the screen would fail to wake EVRY time, whether it timed out on it's own, or I tuned it off. This was tempararily remedied by turning off the automatic backlight adjustment/sensor. Some suggest this is a simple hardware defect. I tend to disagree and believe that it's somthing in ROM effecting power management... possibly memory usage.

In my search for answers on this issue, I've found other Windows Mobile devices (NOT JUST HTC) experiencing similar failures to wake. In a thread by a group od HD2 owners over at XDA they came to the conclusion it was that somthing in the background, specificlly in the notifications que, was not playing nice with the power management settings. Their solution was to use a program like MemMaid to automaticlly clean the system, removing duplicate notifications and rebuilding the Windows Mobile notifications que. I've been using MemMaid in this fasion for a couple weeks now, in conjunction with Lumos (a different auto backlight controller from stock HTC). Haven't had any issues so far.

I apologize if I'm rambaling a bit, so to sum it up: No issues that haven't been created by me... or that I couldn't pretty much solve with a little research and know-how... AND no issues that aren't found in other similar windows mobile phones.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:32 PM
Q_Q
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

Q_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regularQ_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regularQ_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regularQ_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regularQ_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I am of the belief that Apple's closed off OS is bulletproof to freezes.
But then I noticed how many times I have to reboot the Nano in my car after sync-ing with Itunes that this thought process is not entirely true.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2