PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Call and Internet at the same time ??? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=108355)

prboy1969 01-28-2010 01:18 AM

Call and Internet at the same time ???

Help !!! So I have a Sprint Touch Pro 2 running the stock Rom WM 6.1 . I want to be able to make a call and surf the internet at th same time . Right ow I can't . I know someone who has an HTC Tilt 2 (TP2) , and he can be on a call and surf the net at the same time . So i know it's not a phone issue , more of a Sprint blocked it issue . Does anyone know how to fix this ?

jmorton10 01-28-2010 01:20 AM

Re: Call and Internet at the same time ???

Has to be GSM service to do that.

~John

CellGuy 01-28-2010 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prboy1969 (Post 1522233)
Help !!! So I have a Sprint Touch Pro 2 running the stock Rom WM 6.1 . I want to be able to make a call and surf the internet at th same time . Right ow I can't . I know someone who has an HTC Tilt 2 (TP2) , and he can be on a call and surf the net at the same time . So i know it's not a phone issue , more of a Sprint blocked it issue . Does anyone know how to fix this ?

Sprint is CDMA, AT&T is GSM. It's not so much a limitation of the phone as it is the technology Sprint uses. The only way around this is using WIFI.

jlee79 01-28-2010 01:20 AM

This can not be done on the Sprint network :( Bummer for me as well, oh well, long live SERO

japper88 01-28-2010 01:21 AM

Quote:

Impossible while on CDMA. It's a pure tech limitation. Verizon and Sprint both use CDMA which does not let you be online and on a call at the same time. If you really want this only GSM supports it (i.e. AT&T or T-Mobile). The best you can do is be on wifi and on a call at the same time.

In other words, there will NEVER be a fix for Sprint, so it is IMPOSSIBLE. Sorry.

lazydazed 01-28-2010 01:25 AM

Really? do you have a T.V.? its the ONLY thing AT&T has over everybody else... other than having a cooler stock slider

japper88 01-28-2010 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazydazed (Post 1522249)
Really? do you have a T.V.? its the ONLY thing AT&T has over everybody else... other than having a cooler stock slider

I think the tilt too has a nonworking push to talk button that people have programmed to use as a camera button... Wish i had that, instead i have all upside down pictures since I use the volume up button as a camera button.

But you can be online via wifi and talk on the phone at the same time!

Sim-X 01-28-2010 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by japper88 (Post 1522240)
Impossible while on CDMA. It's a pure tech limitation. Verizon and Sprint both use CDMA which does not let you be online and on a call at the same time. If you really want this only GSM supports it (i.e. AT&T or T-Mobile). The best you can do is be on wifi and on a call at the same time.

In other words, there will NEVER be a fix for Sprint, so it is IMPOSSIBLE. Sorry.

I wouldn't say never - & IMPOSSIBLE is incorrect.

http://www.wmexperts.com/cdma-develo...data-same-time

It is actually VERY possible - just depends if sprint wants to upgrade or not. Not sure if this would support existing devices if they even do it which I'm sure they will at some point. Could be a long ways away but it is there.

Quote:

Yea this would be nice but it's not the end of the world. I would much rather be on a better network then worry about that. I'm sure we will get it someday.

japper88 01-28-2010 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sim-X (Post 1522312)

It is actually VERY possible - just depends if sprint wants to upgrade or not. Not sure if this would support existing devices if they even do it which I'm sure they will at some point. Could be a long ways away but it is there.

I stand corrected. Would it be a correct statement to say it's impossible for the TP2 cause of current CDMA limitations?

Sim-X 01-28-2010 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by japper88 (Post 1522313)
I stand corrected. Would it be a correct statement to say it's impossible for the TP2 cause of current CDMA limitations?

I would think so, I really don't know 2 much about it. I always thought it was impossible myself but came across that the other day and was very happy to read that.

I wouldn't really care if it worked on the tp2 or not unless they are planning on doing it pretty quick which I doubt. By the time it's out I'm sure new phones will be out that will support it out of the box. TP3 pro??? ha ha

Maybe by then sprint will have the iphone - at&t will have to stop running there stupid ads about talk and surf at the same time which is the 1 benefit they have.

japper88 01-28-2010 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sim-X (Post 1522317)
I would think so, I really don't know 2 much about it. I always thought it was impossible myself but came across that the other day and was very happy to read that.

I wouldn't really care if it worked on the tp2 or not unless they are planning on doing it pretty quick which I doubt. By the time it's out I'm sure new phones will be out that will support it out of the box. TP3 pro??? ha ha

Maybe by then sprint will have the iphone - at&t will have to stop running there stupid ads about talk and surf at the same time which is the 1 benefit they have.

Yea the ATT commercials are lame compared to those Verizon commercials bashing the ATT 3G coverage map. I just hope a decent phone is available on Sprint SERO when the next gen stuff comes out.

ACHlLLES 01-28-2010 02:11 AM

Do people really surf and talk on the phone at the same time? I for one, really didn't have that chance. Tethering, and talking is different story though.

ETphoneHOME 01-28-2010 02:21 AM

Given the opportunity I think I will really use that feature. I have came across several occasions where I needed that feature but was not able to.

dizidi 01-28-2010 06:03 AM

WOW, I never knew we (sprint) can surf the web on wifi and make a phone call at the same time. I should of known better, afterall I've been a member of this community since 2006. Damn, does this make me a senior member?

Sim-X 01-28-2010 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by japper88 (Post 1522326)
Yea the ATT commercials are lame compared to those Verizon commercials bashing the ATT 3G coverage map. I just hope a decent phone is available on Sprint SERO when the next gen stuff comes out.

I have a feeling I'm going to have to dump my sero plan at some point in the future. I have been getting a deal for so long I guess it's time to pay up. I don't see sprint allowing newer high end devices on sero. Hopefully they allow at least one more generation of touch pros on sero but I would have to think when wm7 is out it's gonna be lights out for sero but I could be wrong. Will just have to wait and see.

ac0x 01-28-2010 10:56 AM

Sounds like SVDO is going to take both infrastructure and device changes. So it may be a while

http://technews.am/conversations/mob...bably_not_soon

imnuts 01-28-2010 12:07 PM

I would think that if this did become available, a radio update would hopefully allow it to work for us, but who knows.

japper88 01-28-2010 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sim-X (Post 1522609)
I have a feeling I'm going to have to dump my sero plan at some point in the future. I have been getting a deal for so long I guess it's time to pay up. I don't see sprint allowing newer high end devices on sero. Hopefully they allow at least one more generation of touch pros on sero but I would have to think when wm7 is out it's gonna be lights out for sero but I could be wrong. Will just have to wait and see.

Yea... I was psyched that I was able to squeeze 2 more years out of sero with the tp2. now just hoping for another 2years after my contract is up!

prboy1969 01-30-2010 11:37 PM

Thanks for the replies . But something I just remembered , the TP2 is Quad band . So if I set it to GSM will I then be able to do the Talk & Surf at the same time ?

Eschelon 01-31-2010 02:52 AM

From what I've learned, supposedly any network can have voice and data at the same time, regardless of whether the network is GSM or CDMA. It's just a matter of whether or not the wireless carrier is willing to dump the required boatload of cash into their network in order to do it

prboy1969 02-07-2010 03:25 PM

So , I guess there isn't some sort of work around this ?

bkrodgers 02-07-2010 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eschelon (Post 1529265)
From what I've learned, supposedly any network can have voice and data at the same time, regardless of whether the network is GSM or CDMA. It's just a matter of whether or not the wireless carrier is willing to dump the required boatload of cash into their network in order to do it

I'm not sure it's fair to put it that way. Yes, there is a version of CDMA technology now that is capable of data and voice at the same time. That's relatively recent though. The version of CDMA that has been widely deployed can't do it. Sure, they could upgrade. But it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to focus on that when Verizon is trying to build out their new LTE network and Sprint/Clearwire are working on WiMax.

ShadowDrake 02-07-2010 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prboy1969 (Post 1548232)
So , I guess there isn't some sort of work around this ?

Wifi... that's your workaround.

EVDO Rev. A supports simultaneous voice and data, but the big CDMA carriers (Sprint and Verizon) saw no reason to implement it as they were doing the Rev A upgrade. Now that AT&T is touting that as a major feature (keep in mind, AT&T has taken longer to get 3G up and running) there will be pressure for simultaneous voice and data in the future. It's coming, but the reason why we don't have it now is that there wasn't enough competition when they had the option to implement it.

freeza 02-07-2010 08:01 PM

didn't EVDV support data and talk simultaneously?

Eschelon 02-09-2010 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkrodgers (Post 1548358)
I'm not sure it's fair to put it that way. Yes, there is a version of CDMA technology now that is capable of data and voice at the same time. That's relatively recent though. The version of CDMA that has been widely deployed can't do it. Sure, they could upgrade. But it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to focus on that when Verizon is trying to build out their new LTE network and Sprint/Clearwire are working on WiMax.

Well, that's essentially what I was saying. There's a myth out there that AT&T is the ONLY network that has the capability of accomplishing this feature. I was simply stating that any network (whether GSM or CDMA) could do it if they really wanted

But your latter point is absolutely correct. A major reason as to why other networks haven't done it is because they're moving to WiMax / LTE anyway

mario925 02-13-2010 08:44 PM

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.50 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en) T-Mobile_Rhodium)

i can talk and go on the internet at the same time on my t-mobile htc touch pro 2 :)

fuzzy26 02-14-2010 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sim-X (Post 1522312)

Yea this would be nice but it's not the end of the world. I would much rather be on a better network then worry about that. I'm sure we will get it someday.

I JUST pulled my pants up after listening to the ringtone!!!

akayareal 02-14-2010 02:35 PM

Will this be a possibility when WiMax headsets come out?

abrigham 02-14-2010 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akayareal (Post 1564838)
Will this be a possibility when WiMax headsets come out?

I have a feeling that's the idea... WiMax is, of course, data only. However, I would imagine that most WiMax devices coming to Sprint will be CDMA/WiMax combined so when you're in a WiMax (a.k.a. 4G) coverage area, your data would go over WiMax and voice over CMDA and when in CMDA only, then be limited to one or the other when on CMDA only. Granted, this is all speculation as I haven't really done much research on any of the upcoming 4G/WiMax handsets but that's what makes sense.

shaggylive 02-14-2010 05:43 PM

ok here's the deal. the network is completely capable of it. it is a limitation of the radio chips in the phones. (maynot be the case with tp2)

The main reason I've always wanted such a feature is for gps (google maps) it never faills I get a call right when I should be making a turn or watching for a certain road.
the other big thing with me is that if you are roaming and on data, calls go strait to v/m. (regular in-network 1x should still pause for a call.)

with the tp2, depending on the radio chip, I think it should be possible to use simultaneous gsm/cdma, but that's for someone way smarter than me to figure out. (although I'm willing to test/brick)

like the comercial says, it can be done, you just need 2 phones to do it.. (i've proved that it can be done without 2 lines of service)

abrigham 02-14-2010 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaggylive (Post 1565175)
with the tp2, depending on the radio chip, I think it should be possible to use simultaneous gsm/cdma, but that's for someone way smarter than me to figure out. (although I'm willing to test/brick)

From what I've seen so far, all attempts to do simultaneous GSM/CDMA on the TP2 have failed. Since the TP2 World Phone is essentially a CDMA phone first, that network always takes precedence. The only way to get GSM when you are in a CDMA coverage area is to set the phone to GSM Only mode.

shaggylive 02-15-2010 01:14 AM

right, my thought is that there may be a way to tell data to use gsm and lock the cdma to 1x for voice/sms. but I realize it's been attempted, and is almost the holy grail, but wanted to clarifiy the cdma info. again, the network is capable, just not the handsets (or programming in the handset)

ShadowDrake 02-15-2010 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abrigham (Post 1565605)
From what I've seen so far, all attempts to do simultaneous GSM/CDMA on the TP2 have failed. Since the TP2 World Phone is essentially a CDMA phone first, that network always takes precedence. The only way to get GSM when you are in a CDMA coverage area is to set the phone to GSM Only mode.

Mine sometimes defaults to my AT&T SIM after a soft reset and drives me straight up the wall whenever it does... I leave mine on GSM only now because of it.

My thoughts on WiMAX? It pains me a little.

Sprint's got a lot of money into it. That's all fine and dandy except it has problems. LTE is being picked up by almost every other single carrier. The biggest problem is its frequency. Wimax is high frequency - close to wifi, even. The HTC MAX couldn't have wimax and wifi enabled at the same time - the frequencies are too close and it caused interference. The same is going to be true for deployment here, I imagine.

High frequency also means less effective signal penetration of obstacles such as building walls when compared to the low frequencies of LTE. Flip side is that the high frequency should carry farther from the tower. Is this huge either way? No, not entirely, but it's just another unfortunate mark against wimax.

I really hope I'm missing something elementary here, though. I know they've got a lot more research into it than I do, but I see more advantages for LTE... except for WiMax is already on the ground running and LTE is a long ways out.

bkrodgers 02-15-2010 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abrigham (Post 1565101)
I have a feeling that's the idea... WiMax is, of course, data only. However, I would imagine that most WiMax devices coming to Sprint will be CDMA/WiMax combined so when you're in a WiMax (a.k.a. 4G) coverage area, your data would go over WiMax and voice over CMDA and when in CMDA only, then be limited to one or the other when on CMDA only. Granted, this is all speculation as I haven't really done much research on any of the upcoming 4G/WiMax handsets but that's what makes sense.

Actually, my understanding of both WiMax and LTE is that it's a 100% IP based, packet switched network. The voice calls will basically be a form of VoIP. Simultaneous voice and data should be no problem.

-Brian

shaggylive 02-15-2010 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowDrake (Post 1566090)

I really hope I'm missing something elementary here, though. I know they've got a lot more research into it than I do, but I see more advantages for LTE... except for WiMax is already on the ground running and LTE is a long ways out.

it's been a while since i've had any time to dig up and read any white papers on the subject, but I was last left with the impression that wimax is more of a mesh(able) network, so nodes can communicate directly instead of getting routed through the 'network'. meaning a business could have thier own 'tower' (think Airave) and the users could link directly thus greater bandwith 'in-house'
this would also translate into scale-ability since sprint is big on events. they always bring in portable towers for things like daytona500 or election conventions.

your other points are completely valid however.

what I really think is that sprint is trying to replace wifi with wimax, since we all know wifi-N isn't all it's cracked up to be.