PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   How to unlock the SIM card on a Verizon Wireless HTC Touch Pro2 for FREE (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=108354)

SGMD1 01-28-2010 12:58 AM

How to unlock the SIM card on a Verizon Wireless HTC Touch Pro2 for FREE

I just did this tonight and it worked without a hitch. If you have an HTC Touch Pro2 from Verizon and want to use your own SIM card while travelling abroad (or even on a domestic GSM provider i.e. AT&T), follow these steps:

1. On TouchFLO 3D, scroll to the “Settings” tab and click the left soft button for “All Settings.”
2. Click on the “Personal” tab at the bottom.
3. Click on the “Phone” icon.
4. Go to the “Network” tab and select “GSM/UMTS only” from the drop down menu.
5. At this point, although your phone won't register a network or get reception to make any calls (other than emergency calls), you can hit the Phone/Send button and dial: *#06#
6. The system will automatically display your IMEI number. Write this number down.
7. Call VZW Global Support (1-800-711-8300) and select the option for technical support.
8. Tell the representative you will be travelling abroad and would like to unlock your SIM. You may or may not be asked for your IMEI number (they should have it on file) after which you will receive the unlock code.
9. On TouchFLO 3D, scroll to the “Settings” tab and click the left soft button for “All Settings.”
10. Click on the “Personal” tab at the bottom.
11. Click on the “Security” icon.
12. Enter the unlock code you were provided.
13. Click on the “Phone” icon (next to “Security” under “Settings” -> “Personal” tab)
14. Go to “Network” tab.
15. Choose “GSM/UMTS only.”
16. Click on the “GSM/UMTS” tab, click on “Band,” and hit “Get Settings” and you'll find various band options depending on where you will be travelling.
17. To switch back to the Verizon network, select “Global” from the “Network” tab.

(Many thanks to Chuong Nguyen at pocketnow.com for this guide)

dgourd 01-28-2010 01:02 AM

Re: How to unlock the SIM card on a Verizon Wireless HTC Touch Pro2 for FREE

You know, all the steps you did are not really necessary. If you just call verizon, they will unlock the phone for you for free. Only steps 7 and 8 are actually important.

SGMD1 01-28-2010 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgourd (Post 1522195)
You know, all the steps you did are not really necessary. If you just call verizon, they will unlock the phone for you for free. Only steps 7 and 8 are actually important.

Yes and no...the first time I tried calling, I got an incompetent rep. She told me that there would be no way to unlock it before leaving the US and that I'd have to wait to go abroad and then call the Verizon international number...which is totally inaccurate. It wasn't until I googled afterwards that I realized she was wrong.

The reason she thought this was because the GSM/UMTS settings tab is normally greyed out while in CDMA mode, and she had wanted me to access a setting in that menu; a.) That menu is easily accessible just by changing the Network type (step 4 in OP) and b.) the setting she wanted me to access (PIN/PIN2) was irrelevant for SIM unlocking anyway.

So yes, VZW should be able to unlock with a simple phone call, but in case you experience an incompetent rep like I did, hopefully Googlers will find this thread and it will come in handy :)

drewcam888 01-28-2010 09:37 AM

There are multiple threads on this exact topic. There was no reason to start another one.

SGMD1 01-28-2010 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewcam888 (Post 1522613)
There are multiple threads on this exact topic. There was no reason to start another one.

Oh well...I did anyway! :-({|=

Darkjedi 01-28-2010 05:52 PM

If only I could do that on Sprint