PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2010, 12:11 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: VZW

InsipidMonkey is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Touch Screen not Responding

Boarded a flight this afternoon, turned my phone off, and when I turned it back on after we landed the touch screen no longer responds. The hardware keys and keyboard still work, and multiple resets / removing the battery have had no effect. Also, I'm not sure if it's related, but about a week ago my phone developed the rainbow/oil slick problem, but it hasn't bothered me too much.

I tried running a fingernail around the edge of the screen as was suggested for the Touch Pro with no luck. I am planning on contacting Verizon for a warranty replacement, but before I do I have a couple questions:

1. Are there any other tricks for fixing a non-responsive touch screen?

2. Is there a way I can make a current backup of everything on the phone without using the touch screen? Can I image the phone from my computer somehow?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:42 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

HTC_TP knows their stuffHTC_TP knows their stuffHTC_TP knows their stuffHTC_TP knows their stuffHTC_TP knows their stuffHTC_TP knows their stuffHTC_TP knows their stuff
Re: Touch Screen not Responding

Sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing with the touch screen and unfortunately I believe it's time for a warranty replacement.

1. No tricks that I'm aware of to fix a "dead" screen.
2. I would suggest using MyMobiler to control your TP2 from your computer to facilitate a solid backup. You don't mention what you are using to backup your TP2, so if don't have anything presently grab a trial copy of SPB Backup and create a backup to your Micro SD card, or PC.

Good luck!
Old 01-24-2010, 01:44 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G Touch

jmy72 knows their stuffjmy72 knows their stuffjmy72 knows their stuffjmy72 knows their stuffjmy72 knows their stuffjmy72 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to jmy72 Send a message via Yahoo to jmy72

Are you using a screen protector? I Only ask because of the Oily comment. That oil mark is usually only because of the Invisibleshield keeping heat in on the screen and causing residue beneath the screen. If so, Try taking it off, let the phone sit over night preferably on a windowsill where it is nice and cool all night with the battery out and then put the battery back in and try it again. If that doesnt work, I hate to say it, but try a hard reset, it may be a software issue. I'd still get rid of that invisibleshield. I used to be a fan of zaggs products but everytime I used it I got that Oil Mark. this phone doesnt have that problem thankfully.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:40 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic

dumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Wirelessly posted (HTC Touch Pro 2 (Sprint): Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

i jus had similar problem & got a replacement phone as there was nothing to be done in sprint store to fix this .. i have dropped my other phone quite a few times & am unsure if it created the initial scenarion but quite a few ppl also had this. theres a thread floating around about it & some ppl believe certain things cause this but i try every method including multiple hard resets n nothing works
Old 01-24-2010, 07:54 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: VZW
Threadstarter

InsipidMonkey is a n00b

Thanks for the replies. I am not using a screen protector. MyMobile worked great to make the backups, but after a hard-reset I can't click OK to allow the MyMobile installation or even complete the WM setup. Verizon is sending a replacement, but it will be hard to switch back to my trusty old VX8100 for a few days.

Does anyone have experience with Verizon replacements? Are the refurbs they send out acceptable? The phone is in good shape and none of the water damage indicators are activated. Is there any chance they'll refuse the replacement due to the oily screen issue?
Old 05-15-2010, 04:09 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: LG Optimus S

PWBthe1st is a n00b

I am having the same problem with my phone but I can't get MyMobile to work without selecting Active Sync when I plug into the USB. Does any one have any ideas how to switch to active Sync. Maybe a reg edit is possible?
Old 05-15-2010, 04:31 PM
Old Dirty Jamaican
Pocket PC: Motorola Photon

Wesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

+1 on SPB backup, the best thing about that is you don't have to have the program installed to restore the backup.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:05 PM
Two-Time Mafiosi
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon

Kliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via MSN to Kliptik

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsipidMonkey View Post
Thanks for the replies. I am not using a screen protector. MyMobile worked great to make the backups, but after a hard-reset I can't click OK to allow the MyMobile installation or even complete the WM setup. Verizon is sending a replacement, but it will be hard to switch back to my trusty old VX8100 for a few days.

Does anyone have experience with Verizon replacements? Are the refurbs they send out acceptable? The phone is in good shape and none of the water damage indicators are activated. Is there any chance they'll refuse the replacement due to the oily screen issue?
I haven't had to have my TP2 replaced, but I went through nightmares with my TP1 and Verizon replacements, and my XV6800 before that. The replacements kept coming out with problems...

I would do everything you can to get them to send you a NIB (new in box) device.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:21 AM
Dallas Mavericks #1 Fan!!
Pocket PC: HTC ThunderBolt
Carrier: Verizon

nrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmy72 View Post
Are you using a screen protector? I Only ask because of the Oily comment. That oil mark is usually only because of the Invisibleshield keeping heat in on the screen and causing residue beneath the screen. If so, Try taking it off, let the phone sit over night preferably on a windowsill where it is nice and cool all night with the battery out and then put the battery back in and try it again. If that doesnt work, I hate to say it, but try a hard reset, it may be a software issue. I'd still get rid of that invisibleshield. I used to be a fan of zaggs products but everytime I used it I got that Oil Mark. this phone doesnt have that problem thankfully.
then why do people not using screen protectors get the oil mark?
do you put your phone in your pocket???

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2