PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2010, 03:35 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Sprint

md_lieber is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Best way to get native Gmail support on WM?

So here's what I'd like:
An application that works like the Java app for BB. It runs in the background so it'll automatically get new emails. The *most* important feature is that when I send a new email or reply to an email it spoofs the "from" address to the one configured in gmail and NOT my actual gmail account. I have all my business email forward to gmail, but when I reply, I need co-workers to see my business addy and not my gmail address. Inbox search-ability in the native app is great, and not an option that I'm aware of with IMAP or POP3.

What I've tried:
Using Pocket Outlook + Gmail IMAP works well for getting new email, but they're not consolidated in that nice "conversation" display method like the native app. Also, when I create a new email or reply to an email using this method, the displayed "from" address is my Gmail address and not my business one.

What I might try:
Searches have provided me with a few posts from 08 - mid-09 indicating the possibility of installing a Java emulator and then a tweaked version of the Gmail app. My concern for this is stability, battery life impact, and just having to screw around with it. Most of the people who went this route said they close the app when they're done, thus no background notifications of new emails.

Is there no better way to get Gmail to use my business address, conversation-style messaging, and entire Gmail inbox search-ability than hacking a Java app?

Thanks!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2