PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Could a SNAPDRAGON be imported to TP2? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=107425)

popularbelief420 01-21-2010 07:43 PM

Could a SNAPDRAGON be imported to TP2?

Just for discussion purposes.
Could a SNAPDRAGON be imported from a gutted HD2 to a gutted TP2? Any mad scientists out there thinking of creating a monster?
Just throwing a few ideas out there. If the processors in our phones were anything like custom motherboards and processors in PCs I might be down to throw some serious $$$ cash down and try it myself unfortunately I haven't seen any type of teardown on the TP2 or HD2 yet.

davidetkin511 01-21-2010 07:46 PM

Re: Could a SNAPDRAGON be imported to TP2?

Quote:

Originally Posted by popularbelief420 (Post 1507476)
Just for discussion purposes.
Could a SNAPDRAGON be imported from a gutted HD2 to a gutted TP2? Any mad scientists out there thinking of creating a monster?
Just throwing a few ideas out there. If the processors in our phones were anything like custom motherboards and processors in PCs I might be down to throw some serious $$$ cash down and try it myself unfortunately I haven't seen any type of teardown on the TP2 or HD2 yet.

That would be great, I dont know if its possible.

NIKKG 01-21-2010 07:51 PM

Its probably not worth the cost, might as well just get the actual snapdragon phone.

popularbelief420 01-21-2010 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidetkin511 (Post 1507485)
That would be great, I dont know if its possible.

could you imagine a world of real "SMARTPHONES"? Geeks putting i5 processors in them. upgrading the RAM to 6GB! Running ANY OS except the iPhone's :mrgreen: . i see a beautiful world out there for ppcGeeks but the corporate wheels keep on turning. one day...

BlackDynamite 01-21-2010 07:55 PM

A snapdragon, some more RAM, and a better camera (and a flash for the camera). Then we'd be set for a couple years.

tr0s 01-21-2010 07:55 PM

isn't the snapdragon a completely different class of processor than the current msm that we have? i remember back in my mogul days people were talking about transplanting ram from a vogue into a mogul but i don't think anyone actually did it. atleast in that case it was a similar device. in this case it's almost a moot argument/discussion as i seriously doubt it will ever happen.

bobturismo 01-21-2010 08:00 PM

Well, if it's the same as trying to put a dual core processor into a single core mother board, then I would have to say "no" on that one.

aznmode 01-22-2010 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobturismo (Post 1507529)
Well, if it's the same as trying to put a dual core processor into a single core mother board, then I would have to say "no" on that one.

Or maybe more like swapping an AMD chip with an intel. But if this is possible it would be great. But from what I remembered when I took my first phone apart the chip was soldered on the board.

BlackDynamite 01-22-2010 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aznmode (Post 1510046)
Or maybe more like swapping an AMD chip with an intel. But if this is possible it would be great. But from what I remembered when I took my first phone apart the chip was soldered on the board.

Oh I'm sure it's soldered to the board, no doubt in my mind. The CPU is soldered to the board on most laptops, so I can't imagine a phone being any different.

But the question is, if we buy a better processor- could we then remove the old processor and solder the new one down and have it work (with better performance)?

yang704 01-22-2010 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aznmode (Post 1510046)

Why i5 when you can get top of the line Core i7