PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   how do you set up outgoing POP3 mail (sprint carrier) (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=107307)

msmith 01-21-2010 04:02 AM

how do you set up outgoing POP3 mail (sprint carrier)

I have Bellsouth pop3 mail (now ATT) any way I can get my incoming mail but cannot send outgoing mail. I am assuming that I need a sprint outgoing pop3 mail server in order to get it to work. I called sprint they were no help at all, I am guessing that more than one person here has it working can you share the secret?

jer07734 01-21-2010 04:15 AM

Re: how do you set up outgoing POP3 mail (sprint carrier)

Quote:

Originally Posted by msmith (Post 1505921)
I have Bellsouth pop3 mail (now ATT) any way I can get my incoming mail but cannot send outgoing mail. I am assuming that I need a sprint outgoing pop3 mail server in order to get it to work. I called sprint they were no help at all, I am guessing that more than one person here has it working can you share the secret?

Try smtp.sprintpcs.com - no ssl - no authentication. if that doesn't work you'll need to be registered in sprint's email tool and given your email username and password. after being registered you will still not use ssl but authentication will be requuired for outgoing

robbie2883 01-21-2010 04:43 AM

i went through this awhile back with my isp. you'll need to find out what port to use for the smtp and if it requires security or log in. alot of providers block port 25 to prevent spamming but alot will let oyu use port 26. for cox it's por 465

CoryNat 01-21-2010 08:23 AM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

If you have a gmail account, you can use their smtp server to send on your behalf as well.

sharklvr7 01-21-2010 10:06 AM

We had to problems setting up smtp (port 25) for charter, cox, corporate server and yahoo.

wheelspin 01-21-2010 10:15 AM

Use your gmail smtp as posted above.
Quick and easy.

flexx_uno 01-21-2010 10:52 AM

Quote:

Try:

Under User Information, do the following:
In the Your Name box, type your full name the way that you want it to appear to other people.
In the E-mail Address box, type your e-mail user name, followed by @bellsouth.net.

In the Incoming mail server (POP3) box, type mail.bellsouth.net.
In the Outgoing mail server (SMTP) box, type mail.bellsouth.net.

Click THANKS if it works...

TheBundo 01-21-2010 03:06 PM

In the outgoing mail screen, enter smtp.mail.yahoo.com, and check both boxes. I use POP mail, so my sent messages don't disappear like they do with IMAP. Use pop.mail.yahoo.com

To set it up as pop, don't use the automatic configuration tool, since it will only set you up as IMAP. Trick it by entering your email address incorrectly, such as yourname@yahoooooo.com. Then set everything up as described, and then go back in and correct the word yahoooooo back to yahoo

mathiass 01-21-2010 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoryNat (Post 1506070)
If you have a gmail account, you can use their smtp server to send on your behalf as well.

just keep in mind if you do this option, that all the messages will show as coming from the gmail account, I believe if you include a reply-to address that any replies will be sent to whatever account you choose, but by default if you use gmail's smtp the messages will come from your gmail address and be replies will goto gmail as well

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBundo (Post 1506850)
so my sent messages don't disappear like they do with IMAP.

what do you mean "disappear?" POP3 downloads messages off the server and in most cases removes them off the server so they can only be accessed by the computer that downloaded them. IMAP keeps folder hierarchy and messages on the server and just syncs what you have how you have it.

c0011j 01-21-2010 03:40 PM

Quote:

Just an FYI. Sprint's SMTP server is being decomissioned (or actually has) It may be working for some but you need to use your own SMTP server. That is probably why they didn't help out much.