PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2010, 10:54 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

iknight8 is keeping up the good workiknight8 is keeping up the good workiknight8 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to iknight8
flash to stock

i just installed NRGZ Rom 21889 and it's kind of slowing down my phone so i was wondering in order to install another custom rom do i have to flash back to stock rom or just install the next custom rom?..

i have sprint tp2, so if i have to flash to stock, where do i get the stock rom from? Thanx

HTC TouchPro2 > HTC Evo > Samsung Fascinate > HTC ThunderBolt
Old 01-22-2010, 11:02 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

piedra92 knows their stuffpiedra92 knows their stuffpiedra92 knows their stuffpiedra92 knows their stuffpiedra92 knows their stuffpiedra92 knows their stuff
Re: flash to stock

Here you go:

RUU_Rhodium_W_Sprint_WWE_1.21.651.3_RS_1.96WF_NV_S PCS_1.42_0430_PRL60652_Ship.exe
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:02 AM
Regular 'Geeker

HTC_TP knows their stuffHTC_TP knows their stuffHTC_TP knows their stuffHTC_TP knows their stuffHTC_TP knows their stuffHTC_TP knows their stuffHTC_TP knows their stuff

It would be a good idea to flash to stock then onto the next custom rom, just to ensure you are "clean".

Stock ROMS: LINK
Old 01-22-2010, 11:04 AM
lt cmdr of a garbage scow
Pocket PC: epic 4g
Carrier: sprint

austin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

it may be myth. some people swear by flashin back to stock before flashin a new rom to get all the old bugs out from one rom to the next. i never do tho. i do always hard reset as soon as i flash tho. after the new rom is all loaded and set up i hard reset 1 time. that could be myth too tho.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:04 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

iknight8 is keeping up the good workiknight8 is keeping up the good workiknight8 is keeping up the good work

hey guys THANKS... i am about to do that right now.
becuz this rom is a bit too slow i have so i am trying to test out others!!!

THANX again
Old 01-22-2010, 01:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2

mathiass is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via MSN to mathiass

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin420 View Post
it may be myth. some people swear by flashin back to stock before flashin a new rom to get all the old bugs out from one rom to the next. i never do tho. i do always hard reset as soon as i flash tho. after the new rom is all loaded and set up i hard reset 1 time. that could be myth too tho.
Flashing to stock, only to flash to a diff custom rom, seems to me like using a manufacturer's recovery disk for a computer then installing a newer version after a format of the hard drive. There's really no reason to install what came on the computer before installing a different OS, what's different here? I've never gotten a straight answer.

Surely the roms completely erase the old roms when they flash over (vs just installing over it)?

rockin out with MaxSense
Old 01-22-2010, 01:22 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

i think installing a rom without first flashing it is like installing an upgrade of a pc OS... if u do a clean install its always best... keeps off the bugs and issues from the older OS thats how i see it
Old 01-22-2010, 01:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2

mathiass is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via MSN to mathiass

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknight8 View Post
i think installing a rom without first flashing it is like installing an upgrade of a pc OS... if u do a clean install its always best... keeps off the bugs and issues from the older OS thats how i see it
That's a good analogy. Upgrades just override the last one, is that what roms do? I would hope and think that roms format the memory before installing, therefore providing a clean install everytime.

But when it comes to roms, aren't "flashing" and "installing" the same thing? Unless flashing is just the process of putting a new rom onto the device, then it being automatically installed after the flash..
Old 01-22-2010, 08:59 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

bkrodgers is becoming a great contributor

Flashing does overwrite everything. It should not, in theory, be necessary to flash back to stock first. However, many people, myself included, have found that it put an end to problems we were having with random freezes and even hard resets we didn't ask for. I don't think anyone quite knows why flashing to stock seems to do a better job of clearing things up, but if it works, why ask why?

I don't think you have to do it every time. I've flashed a dozen times since I did it last and haven't had any problems with the random hard resets since. But if you're having problems, or if a chef recommends you do it for a certain release (like Mighty did on one of his awhile ago), I'd say give it a shot.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:07 PM
Super Saiyan 3
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

freeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to freeza Send a message via MSN to freeza Send a message via Yahoo to freeza Send a message via Skype™ to freeza

Urban myth. Never once had a problem with flashing ROM after ROM without flashing back to stock. Afterall, stock is a ROM just like the customs.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2