PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Water damaged, and returning, but cant turn it on to delete, and flash back (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=107095)

machek 01-19-2010 10:18 PM

Water damaged, and returning, but cant turn it on to delete, and flash back

So the phone is water damaged, wont even turn on or anything, had some screen power, but only minimal almost like a backlight but thats it. But I wanted to know how can I erase the info on it if I cant even access it? Secondly if the phone is damaged to this extent is it even refurbishable? Will they be able to eventually access it?

c0011j 01-19-2010 10:36 PM

Re: Water damaged, and returning, but cant turn it on to delete, and flash back

Quote:

Originally Posted by machek (Post 1502410)
So the phone is water damaged, wont even turn on or anything, had some screen power, but only minimal almost like a backlight but thats it. But I wanted to know how can I erase the info on it if I cant even access it? Secondly if the phone is damaged to this extent is it even refurbishable? Will they be able to eventually access it?

If there is water damage don't even bother trying to retunr it. Just report it stolen. And you answered yourself. No, if you cannot turn it on you will not be able to erase it. I hope you have insurance on it. If you do , just report it stolen... or even send it back , but I doubt you will be able to do much with it.

CaliBoyPhillip 01-19-2010 10:55 PM

I don't think report stolen is the right option because If I'm right that requires a police report, Just report it lost if you wish to, I'm sure nothing bad will happen though if it is water damaged as the company most likely just rebuilds them... fresh start and deletes everything.

p-slim 01-19-2010 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by machek (Post 1502410)

if you can't turn the phone on, there is no way to erase it. And yes it is possible for someone to fix the problem and actually access the data. I don't know if this is going to happen but it is possible. I have been able to get mulitple liquid damaged phones to turn on when the customer could not. I use to be a tech for Sprint 3-4 years ago.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliBoyPhillip (Post 1502562)
I don't think report stolen is the right option because If I'm right that requires a police report, Just report it lost if you wish to, I'm sure nothing bad will happen though if it is water damaged as the company most likely just rebuilds them... fresh start and deletes everything.

i wouldn't recommend saying stolen also, just say you lost it.

austin420 01-19-2010 11:15 PM

why say anything about it being lost or stolen??? if there is insurance on the phone and you file a claim and have to pay a deductible then why lie about it????? insurance is for exactly that. its not like verizon is gonna replace a liquid damaged phone for free anyway.

p-slim 01-19-2010 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austin420 (Post 1502624)
why say anything about it being lost or stolen??? if there is insurance on the phone and you file a claim and have to pay a deductible then why lie about it????? insurance is for exactly that. its not like verizon is gonna replace a liquid damaged phone for free anyway.

the only reason i said to report it lost is because it seems like the op is afraid of someone turning his phone on 1 day and having access to his info.

Ranger093 01-19-2010 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p-slim (Post 1502662)
the only reason i said to report it lost is because it seems like the op is afraid of someone turning his phone on 1 day and having access to his info.

If you report it stolen you DO NOT need to have a police report........ I'd report it stolen if you're going to to anything or buy a new screen and put it in. Takes 5 mins the rest of the phone is perfectly fine. You shorted the screen backlight.

austin420 01-19-2010 11:33 PM

id say attempt a hard reset using the buttons then pull the battery if it seems sucsessful. if not run it over in the car or really get it wet. let it go skinny dipping in a glas of beer. or better yet, piss. no one will want to open it up and look at it then. i also know for a fact that if you really get a tp wet and leave it that way there is no amount of drying that can bring it back to life. i mea truly submerged.

OR78 01-19-2010 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austin420 (Post 1502677)
id say attempt a hard reset using the buttons then pull the battery if it seems sucsessful. if not run it over in the car or really get it wet. let it go skinny dipping in a glas of beer. or better yet, piss. no one will want to open it up and look at it then. i also know for a fact that if you really get a tp wet and leave it that way there is no amount of drying that can bring it back to life. i mea truly submerged.

DUDE...you my friend are one most will not invite into their homes....lol...but it was funny.

firefurby 01-19-2010 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austin420 (Post 1502677)

I agree with running it over with a car. Take lots of pics and post them.