PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2010, 01:22 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint and ATT

DAD-PC is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Sprint Touch Pro 2 arrived without a SIM - PITA!

actually, whatt they want you to do is buy another one at the store, not sure how much they cost. as they gave the device to you for free, they gotta ring any kinda money out of you they can, sadly.
edit:
is your wife going with you? if not, just activate it on hers and snag the sim card. If she is, then see if the store has sim cards, and if you can have one if you activate the feature there. if they won't, probably end up using a local company

Last edited by DAD-PC; 01-19-2010 at 01:28 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:26 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

The Lance is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to The Lance Send a message via MSN to The Lance

You can call their international line and request one free of charge.. that's what I did.. and that's how I got mine..
Old 01-19-2010, 01:36 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: diamond
Carrier: sprint

BustedNuts1 is becoming a great contributor

Don't you need a SIM card for tethering?
Quote:
1) Enable Tethering Stealth Mode - Hook your phone to your pc and use it as a modem undetected.
(SIM card must be inserted into phone)
At least that's what Mike posted over in the TP2 hacks and tweaks thread.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:52 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2 w/ EnergyRom

Ikonic is becoming a great contributor

i dont believe replacement phones come with sim cards. since the complany believes you are replacing a broken or damaged phone and you have a sim card already. since you do not send those back to the company when you send out your old phone. i have never gotten a sim card with a replacement phone.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:42 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint SERO

CaliforniaPlaya is just getting started

Same thing happened to me. I received a TP2 as a refurbished replacement for a TP. The phone was not actually refurbished...checked the refurb date and call timer, there is no refurb date and I was the first one to put minutes on it. All I received was the phone, cover, and battery. Initially I thought I needed the sim to activate it and I was pissed since I had a TP that didn't work. I quickly found out thats not the case. I had a heck of a time getting a SIM though. I called Sprint only for them to tell me that the TP2 doesn't come with a SIM and I don't need one. When I point out the page in the user manual that states that it comes with a SIM, the rep told me that the manual was printed incorrectly and the same manual is printed for many different phones (wtf???).

After many calls and several hours on the phone, I finally got a tech support rep who knew about this phone and knew it comes with a SIM new. Only problem was, he wasn't able to order a SIM for me, but said he would if he could. Said he could send me another refurb TP2, but thats it. He called around to different departments, spoke to different people, and nothing could be done. As a last resort, he called a few stores in my area and found one that had SIMs in stock. I went to the store, got one and paid for it in store. The tech support rep then credit my account the amount I paid plus a bit more for my trouble - I didn't ask for this he offered. He was more than helpful, but apparently limited in what he was able to do. Honestly, if I knew then that I didn't need it, or I could have just gone to a store and bought one, I would have either not bothered with it, or just went and bought one and paid for it and not dealt with the hassle. So definitely, ymmv. Good luck!!!
Old 01-19-2010, 10:01 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc Evo4G
Carrier: sprint

arsmithsr is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararsmithsr is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararsmithsr is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararsmithsr is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararsmithsr is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

None of Sprints replacement phones come with anything but the charger. My wife went thru this with a Pre she got for her TP1. All she got was a Phone and charger that promptly died the next from a bad update. When she went back to the store they exchanged it for new. Then and only then did she get everything that is supposed to come with the phone. I don't know about this I do pay extra every month to cover the service break fix thing on all my phones so to get a new one or refurbed one with just the phone and a charger not even the right charger is kind of bogus if you ask me.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:08 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo - Rooted!

LoungeLizard is keeping up the good workLoungeLizard is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to LoungeLizard Send a message via Yahoo to LoungeLizard

I just received my TP2 Friday, refurb and no SIM (or anything else). I called the 1-800 number that was on the screen protector. It connected me to the International Travel dept and the lady there said they would get me out a new SIM and credit me the normal $16.50 for the card. I am traveling abroad and don't want to have to worry about finding a local SIM when I get there. I will only be there a week and don't plan on a lot of calls.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:17 AM
VIP & Proud Member of CBM
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2-Sprint, HTC Evo Fully Rooted-Sprint
Carrier: Sprint Nextel

nxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

when Sprint replaces a model because of multiple exchanges, they only said what is vital to the phone working, and the replacement model has to be as close as possible to the device you have. they send the TP2 without a SIM card because it isnt vital to the phone working on the CDMA network. Go to your nearest Service Center, if the techs are nice enough, they'll give you one. Ive had a couple customers ive done that for.

"I pity tha fool... that don't press !"
Old 01-19-2010, 10:22 AM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoungeLizard View Post
I just received my TP2 Friday, refurb and no SIM (or anything else). I called the 1-800 number that was on the screen protector. It connected me to the International Travel dept and the lady there said they would get me out a new SIM and credit me the normal $16.50 for the card. I am traveling abroad and don't want to have to worry about finding a local SIM when I get there. I will only be there a week and don't plan on a lot of calls.
but your phone is already unlocked for world use. using a sprint sim while abroad will subject you to sprints' high rates. you can buy a card where you're going and use that, it's much cheaper.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:20 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo - Rooted!

LoungeLizard is keeping up the good workLoungeLizard is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to LoungeLizard Send a message via Yahoo to LoungeLizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.8820 View Post
but your phone is already unlocked for world use. using a sprint sim while abroad will subject you to sprints' high rates. you can buy a card where you're going and use that, it's much cheaper.

Where do you suggest getting a card for Canada (Toronto)? From what I have seen online, it would be cheaper to just use the Sprint $2.99 package and .20 a minute.

Another thing, when you say it is world unlocked, does this mean I am SIM unlocked and can use any SIM? Like T-Mobile/ ATT etc. I figure it's not the same, but no harm in asking.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2