PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2010, 01:21 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

Gatecrasher R/T is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Arcsoft MMS freeze/hang issues

I've got a Sprint TP2 running an older version of MightyROMs WinMo 6.5. For the most part I love it, but I've been having some trouble with ArcSoft MMS (v5.0.94_118c). I do not necessarily blame these issues on MightyROM. I'm just including the info here for reference.

I use ArcSoft for pretty much all of my SMS/MMS needs. I almost never use HTC messaging, but when I do, it works perfectly.

With ArcSoft, it'll freeze up at random when exiting a text thread, or sometimes when trying to minimize the app so I can go do something else. These are big time hang ups. Well over 30 seconds. My worst was about a minute.

I'm not a txt junkie. I barely have 100-150 in my phone at any given time. Anything over 2 weeks old gets deleted. So I don't think it's an issue with the size of the database.

I've searched all over and haven't seen anyone mention the same symptoms or suggest any troubleshooting steps or fixes.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear it. I'm pretty tolerant of the rough edges on this phone, but this problem is a big time usability issue.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

madmax2k1 is becoming a great contributor
Re: Arcsoft MMS freeze/hang issues

I'm on MightyRom (1/13/2010) as well and I do experience the MMS hangups you're talking about; the freeze time is usually 10-20 seconds. I don't recall experiencing this issue with my stock Sprint ROM.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:09 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: SGS III

fishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the community

I've been trying to upload a couple of cabs I've used on Sprint without issue, and can't get them to load. Check out JD's or Mal's thread, or search in Mighty's, there's other cabs out there being used without any problems. Follow this link, there's two cabs there that I've used and don't have issues with them. http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...&postcount=554. And keep in mind, some of those Arcsoft cabs have different reg settings if someone went in and tweaked them, I found a few like that, even if they had the same number, they had diff reg settings, just FYI.

Last edited by fishingmedic; 01-18-2010 at 04:26 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HD2, Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro
Carrier: T-Mobile

coreyharris2008 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcoreyharris2008 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcoreyharris2008 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcoreyharris2008 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Honestly i think its arcsoft in itself, im not sure if the person who made arcsoft plans to put out any updates but it really needs one! BUT THEN AGAIN MOST OF THESE NEW ROMS COMES EPUIPED WITH THE HTC MESSAGING ENABLE AND THE FILE WE USE TO DISABLE IT MY NOT DISABLE IT COMPLETELY AND THEREFORE ARCSOFT AND THE HTC CLIENT INTERFERES WITH EACHOTHER CAUSE IT TO FREEZE... but this is just me guessing, either way something needs to be done because i love txting and i dont even use 2.5 roms anymore because of that issue
Old 01-18-2010, 06:24 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: SGS III

fishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the community

I'm running 6.5 2.1 and have no issues. If you're attempting to use mms on 2.5, there's obviously going to be glitches since it's not meant for this phone and it's being ported over to it.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HD2, Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro
Carrier: T-Mobile

coreyharris2008 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcoreyharris2008 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcoreyharris2008 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcoreyharris2008 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingmedic View Post
I'm running 6.5 2.1 and have no issues. If you're attempting to use mms on 2.5, there's obviously going to be glitches since it's not meant for this phone and it's being ported over to it.

the issues is with manilla 2.5, sometimes 2.1 freeze a well doe its rare that it does. i have no issues with mms
Old 01-21-2010, 01:41 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Threadstarter

Gatecrasher R/T is just getting started

Big thanks to FishingMedic. I tried both cabs at the link he provided. The first one (5.2.6.45u) was just as bad as my original client, and it wouldn't download MMS messages. I'm sure it could have been fixed in the registry, but since it was still slow and locking up, I didn't bother to troubleshoot it.

The 2nd CAB (5.0.94.128c_10M) works great after 2 days of testing. There's still the occasional brief hang, but it's only a couple seconds and is barely an inconvenience. It's a lot better than where I started, which is weird because they're apparently the same version. I don't know what's up. All I can say is that it's working a LOT better now.

As an added bonus, my RAM usage is down 8% on average, and the phone just seems a little snappier in general. I can only guess the old ArcSoft client was doing some stuff in the background and/or possibly had a memory leak or errant process.

Here's my config, in case anyone else has problems and wants to try to troubleshoot.

Sprint TouchPro 2 unlocked (ROM unlock only, no security unlock)
MightyROM Sprint 103009 (Winmo 6.5 base, Manila 2.1)
ArcSoft MMS 5.0.94.128c_10M from link above

I've got a lot of other stuff on my phone, but I don't think any of it is relevant to the SMS/MMS issue I was having.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:47 AM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyharris2008 View Post
Honestly i think its arcsoft in itself, im not sure if the person who made arcsoft plans to put out any updates but it really needs one! BUT THEN AGAIN MOST OF THESE NEW ROMS COMES EPUIPED WITH THE HTC MESSAGING ENABLE AND THE FILE WE USE TO DISABLE IT MY NOT DISABLE IT COMPLETELY AND THEREFORE ARCSOFT AND THE HTC CLIENT INTERFERES WITH EACHOTHER CAUSE IT TO FREEZE... but this is just me guessing, either way something needs to be done because i love txting and i dont even use 2.5 roms anymore because of that issue
Your Caps Lock is on.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2