PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Custom ROMS... Will sprint get mad? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=106789)

gtmethod3 01-17-2010 09:25 PM

Custom ROMS... Will sprint get mad?

I've done my fair share of flashing ROMs here. Will sprint get mad at me for doing this? Can they tell if I have flashed custom ROMs wirelessly?

If I have a problem with my phone, do i need to reflash to stock before going into a sprint store? (also, would i need to change hard SPL back to stock?)

Thanks in advance!

nextohel 01-17-2010 09:29 PM

Re: Custom ROMS... Will sprint get mad?

Don't worry about those flashed ROMs. Sprint won't care. They actually encourage it. They have no way of knowing what you did to your phone. In fact, if you have a problem and need to visit a Sprint store with your phone, they will give you a brand new one so you can flash it again.

rorytmeadows 01-17-2010 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtmethod3 (Post 1497186)
I've done my fair share of flashing ROMs here. Will sprint get mad at me for doing this? Can they tell if I have flashed custom ROMs wirelessly?

If I have a problem with my phone, do i need to reflash to stock before going into a sprint store? (also, would i need to change hard SPL back to stock?)

Thanks in advance!

They won't get mad, they just won't honor your warranty if they see it on there. Microsoft looks the other way because they know it sells phones.

I believe Verizon is the only carrier that can actually check certain items on the phone.

gtcoffe 01-17-2010 09:31 PM

It is recommended to flash stock rom and lock before returning it to sprint for any repairs. They are looking for a good reason to charge you for anything.....don't give them the opportunity!

Dragon2 01-17-2010 09:31 PM

No they cannot tell wirelessly, and yes flash back to stock and relock it also... If they find a custom rom on it itll void your warrenty and you will be hit with the full bill when if replaced....

tjrmoney 01-17-2010 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtmethod3 (Post 1497186)

Thanks in advance!

They can't tell you flashed a ROM. Also it is your phone and you can do with it as you please. Now if you are going to be sending it back to Sprint for say a refund or insurance claim then I would reflash to stock and relock it as they may take this as going against the warranty. Hope this helps you.

speedraycer25 01-17-2010 09:33 PM

i need the stock sprint rom.does anybody know where i can donload it from

imnuts 01-17-2010 09:34 PM

No one "cares" that you flash custom ROMs to your phone, and no carrier can really tell that you have flashed a custom ROM to your phone. They may be able to tell based on you accessing their home page via IE, but they also have no way to snoop over the air as far as I'm aware to see if you've done anything to the device. However, as people said, you won't get support if you're having a problem with the device and you have a custom ROM on the phone, so if you need to get the phone fixed for some reason, you'll need to flash it back to stock. If you're getting your phone replaced, you also want to re-lock the HSPL. I also don't think any carrier encourages users to flash custom ROMs either. It would be far easier for them if no one flashed custom ROMs as then they'd know what every user had as a base at least and it could make support easier for them.

rorytmeadows 01-17-2010 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imnuts (Post 1497214)
No one "cares" that you flash custom ROMs to your phone, and no carrier can really tell that you have flashed a custom ROM to your phone. They may be able to tell based on you accessing their home page via IE, but they also have no way to snoop over the air as far as I'm aware to see if you've done anything to the device. However, as people said, you won't get support if you're having a problem with the device and you have a custom ROM on the phone, so if you need to get the phone fixed for some reason, you'll need to flash it back to stock. If you're getting your phone replaced, you also want to re-lock the HSPL. I also don't think any carrier encourages users to flash custom ROMs either. It would be far easier for them if no one flashed custom ROMs as then they'd know what every user had as a base at least and it could make support easier for them.

I thought that Verizon, back in the day of locking GPS, would re-lock it if they found that it was unlocked on your phone remotely.

Rager02 01-17-2010 09:42 PM

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=91940

you get stock sprint from here